College Football 2021

MJWalker45

7 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

if the playoff actually were Georgia/Iowa/Cincy/Oklahoma I would be so goddamn happy

also, provided Cincy do make the playoff, does the best remaining G5 team (Coastal, in this case) still get a NY6 bid, or is Cincy's playoff bid considered to take that spot?

I think it's too much to ask for a playoff without Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Clemson, or Oklahoma.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

...well, if there's one thing I can say about Syracuse/Clemson, it's that I'm unbelievably thankful Coastal moved up to FBS. sweet lord, Dino needs to go.

He seemed like such a hot commodity after 2018, too.  He definitely needs to go.

I don't understand why coaches would rather kick a 50+ yard FG vs try and get one yard on fourth down.  And I definitely don't understand why he took a timeout to do it.

IUe6Hvh.png

#2 Iowa falls to unranked Purdue. It wasnt even close.  barring any leap froging from Alabama, Oklahoma or an idle Ohio State team this week, Cincinnati should move up to #2. I know its only AP rankings and we havent hit the CFP rankings yet but its nice to see a school that isnt in the Big Ten, PAC12, ACC, SEC or Big 12 (yet) ranked in a top 3 spot.

Signature intentionally left blank

On 10/10/2021 at 8:09 PM, JerseyJimmy said:

if the playoff actually were Georgia/Iowa/Cincy/Oklahoma I would be so goddamn happy

also, provided Cincy do make the playoff, does the best remaining G5 team (Coastal, in this case) still get a NY6 bid, or is Cincy's playoff bid considered to take that spot?

The NY6 includes the two semifinals, so yes, Cincy making the playoff would count as that bid, so long as they win the conference (although let's be honest, if they make the playoff, they will have won their conference.)

LvZYtbZ.png

35 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

UL-Monroe, a 33-point underdog, just beat Liberty.

the same UL-Monroe that Coastal beat 59-6 two weeks ago.

lol. lmao

Much funnier, ULM lost 55-21 to a crap Georgia State team last week. There doesn't seem to be a big divide between east and west in the Sun Belt as there has been though.

Mostly, I'm just thankful that Arkansas State was off this week. They need time to prepare for the absolute ass shredding against the Cajuns on Thursday.

Also, Nebraska is still bad.

1 hour ago, WJMorris3 said:

Liberty?

LIBERTY?

Liberty.

liberty.

You misspelled biberty.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

29 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Way to go Tennessee Volunteers fans you brought your school shame.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering how Tennessee fans reacted when Kiffin left them for USC.

At least they got the ending they deserved when the Vols QB hilariously ran out of bounds with no time left.

Thinking Florida needs to move on from Mullen.  No way this program takes the next step with how stubborn the man is. They could have won a national championship last season with a competent defense as opposed to one of the worst in the country, yet they brought back Grantham. They regularly play down to bad teams. 

Now, there's zero chance they do move on from him... but they should. 

IUe6Hvh.png

20 minutes ago, See Red said:

Thinking Florida needs to move on from Mullen.  No way this program takes the next step with how stubborn the man is. They could have won a national championship last season with a competent defense as opposed to one of the worst in the country, yet they brought back Grantham. 

Today was the straw that broke this particular camel's back for me. These two LSU teams are the worst LSU teams of the 21st Century, and Florida managed to lose to both of them. Almost every medium-grade difficulty road game they've played in the SEC, they've lost. Even some that they won came through some (quite literally) serious breaks, like Franks getting hurt against Kentucky in 2019 opening the door for Trask to begin with. 

Knowing this would be a rebuilding year was one thing. Losing to Kentucky and LSU mostly on the strength of complete coaching failures - the constant false starts in the former game, giving up 300+ yards on the ground to one of the worst running offenses in the latter game, specifically - is quite another. Things aren't showing signs of progress. And if Mullen isn't willing to gut his staff of loyal but underperforming friends of his, then he needs to go down with the ship instead. Muschamp was a failure in so many different ways, but the one area I have to give him credit for is that at least he was willing to bring in OC after OC to try and find something that might work. None of them did, but I can't fault the effort. Mullen isn't willing to do that, part with friends of his who aren't good enough coaches for the level Florida wants to be at. We can see the results clear as day.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Today was the straw that broke this particular camel's back for me. These two LSU teams are the worst LSU teams of the 21st Century, and Florida managed to lose to both of them. Almost every medium-grade difficulty road game they've played in the SEC, they've lost. Even some that they won came through some (quite literally) serious breaks, like Franks getting hurt against Kentucky in 2019 opening the door for Trask to begin with. 

Knowing this would be a rebuilding year was one thing. Losing to Kentucky and LSU mostly on the strength of complete coaching failures - the constant false starts in the former game, giving up 300+ yards on the ground to one of the worst running offenses in the latter game, specifically - is quite another. Things aren't showing signs of progress. And if Mullen isn't willing to gut his staff of loyal but underperforming friends of his, then he needs to go down with the ship instead. Muschamp was a failure in so many different ways, but the one area I have to give him credit for is that at least he was willing to bring in OC after OC to try and find something that might work. None of them did, but I can't fault the effort. Mullen isn't willing to do that, part with friends of his who aren't good enough coaches for the level Florida wants to be at. We can see the results clear as day.

Yeah, this was the game for me, too. To see this team come out with less fire than an LSU team that seems to have already quit on it's coach was disheartening and, sadly, not at all unexpected.

Unfortunately I think there's zero chance Stricklin makes the move and frankly I'm not sure there's an obvious upgrade out there even if he did. 

IUe6Hvh.png

Alabama at #4 based on their actual resume would be laughable, but we all know that's not why they're that high. The only really good win is Ole Miss, and the A&M loss is pretty rough considering how poorly their two losses (Miss State and Arkansas) keep looking. They'll probably win out and it won't matter.

And after beating Florida, Orgeron is out at LSU.

Who are the hot coaching candidates for major openings now? I feel like I'm sort of out of the loop more than normal these days. Maybe Fickell from Cincinnati?

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Who are the hot coaching candidates for major openings now? I feel like I'm sort of out of the loop more than normal these days. Maybe Fickell from Cincinnati?

I keep hearing Jamey Chadwell's name thrown around, but if he leaves Coastal that'll be my cue to self-immolate. at least McCall's only a sophomore?

also worth pointing out: Purdue being ranked breaks a drought dating back to September 2007, which was the longest active drought by any P5 school. the new longest belongs to - who else? - Kansas.

53Ocz8U.png

Archived