College Football 2021

MJWalker45

5 minutes ago, See Red said:

I agree.  What will actually happen, though?  Nothing.

NCAA has no teeth after the Penn State thing.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what will happen. LSU will "ban" a few boosters who will keep on giving money and the administrators that actually control policy will just move to a new school. The only thing LSU has done is ban Guice, which amounts to nothing because he really can't show his face at LSU anymore as it is. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, See Red said:

If the NCAA was even somewhat a competent and upstanding organization this would be a death penalty. Unfortunately they aren't, so LSU will get off with a little tap on the wrist (not even a slap), the 3 people that get fired (if that) will have jobs somewhere else within a year, and eventually we'll all just forget this ever happened just like we did with Penn State and Baylor.

ExJworW.png

On 4/27/2021 at 9:16 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Unfortunately, this is exactly what will happen. LSU will "ban" a few boosters who will keep on giving money and the administrators that actually control policy will just move to a new school. The only thing LSU has done is ban Guice, which amounts to nothing because he really can't show his face at LSU anymore as it is. 

Liberty is very excited about their future additions.

4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Do you think Freeze and Ogeron can get along? 

They just gotta wait for somebody to hire Freeze away. It's like when I once mentioned how surprised I was that Briles hadn't ended up as OC and Liberty and my dad pointed out that Freeze knows better than to hire his own replacement, since that's how he got the Arkansas State job.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 10:08 AM, See Red said:

I agree.  What will actually happen, though?  Nothing.

NCAA has no teeth after the Penn State thing.

The NCAA is just the schools themselves, really. Getting mad at the NCAA is like getting mad at Gary Bettman, he's really just a puppet for what the owners want. Don't get me wrong, the NCAA is a bloated incompetent organization and that's kinda by design. The presidents/chancellors/whatever like Mark Emmert because he's one of them and they like what he does for the most part because they don't know better. The ADs are less than enthused and think he shouldn't have been extended. That said, their bosses are his bosses so they have to fall in line.

The Penn State situation will play a part but the fact that these hostesses exist in some form or fashion at almost all, if not all, FBS institutions and a lot of the upper tier FCS schools too. The staff soliciting students for sexual favors though... oof.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/05/18/uh-athletics-unveils-first-renderings-retrofitted-clarence-tc-ching-athletics-complex/

U of Hawaii is retrofitting parts of their athletic complex to give the football team a 9,000 seat stadium for the next 3 years while Aloha Stadium is either fixed/imploded/ falls in on itself. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I like this idea.  It makes sense to go to 12 since it wouldn't decrease the number of at large bids (since technically the current 4 team system is 4 at larges and no guarantees)

I prefer four teams but if this shuts people up, then great!  As much as I enjoy watching college football, the discussions around it -- about bias, G5 vs P5, etc. -- have become unbearable.  I think they've gotten it right most years with four but they've been lucky because there's been a handful of years where if there was a great Pac 12 team, there would be a lot more controversial decisions.

IUe6Hvh.png

4 hours ago, See Red said:

I prefer four teams but if this shuts people up, then great!  As much as I enjoy watching college football, the discussions around it -- about bias, G5 vs P5, etc. -- have become unbearable.  I think they've gotten it right most years with four but they've been lucky because there's been a handful of years where if there was a great Pac 12 team, there would be a lot more controversial decisions.

It won’t shut people up though. People will still complain that some 4 loss who ever at 16 didn’t get a shot.

16 teams, integrate the more relevant Bowls past the 1st Round, shutter the rest of Bowls, make the college postseason great again and not deal with a 6-6 East Michigan playing a 6-6 South Alabama playing in the WGAF Bowl

Or, institute a TRUE playoff like how FCS does it--but, you know, politics and $$$$$$$$$ and boosters and stuff...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

21 hours ago, Red Comet said:

16 teams, integrate the more relevant Bowls past the 1st Round, shutter the rest of Bowls, make the college postseason great again and not deal with a 6-6 East Michigan playing a 6-6 South Alabama playing in the WGAF Bowl

But then you have to make the regular season great again.  A large playoff would be fun but you do run the risk of ruining what makes the regular season great which, since the postseason sucks, is what makes the entire sport great.  For instance, as a Florida fan, I know currently that there is no path to the CFP that doesn't include beating Georgia.  But under even this 12 team proposal, both Florida and Georgia would have both made it in in each of the past three seasons.  Same with Ohio State-Michigan in a few seasons.  I'm sure there's others.

IUe6Hvh.png

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Is what's happening at the University of Michigan getting any play nationally?  Today's statement from Bo Schembekler's kid is pretty stunning.

I was going to post it here but was sidetracked.  Only place I've seen it is r/cfb, so I don't think so.  But yeah, it's a pretty big deal and the lack of coverage is disappointing and surprising especially because Larry Nassar at Michigan State was a huge deal (although that involved the US Women's Gymnastics team as well).

IUe6Hvh.png

17 minutes ago, See Red said:

I was going to post it here but was sidetracked.  Only place I've seen it is r/cfb, so I don't think so.  But yeah, it's a pretty big deal and the lack of coverage especially because Larry Nassar at Michigan State was a huge deal (although that involved the US Women's Gymnastics team as well).

Yeah, that's what some people here in Southeast Michigan are pretty upset about. Back when the Nassar stuff hit, ESPN went really hard after MSU, even implying that Izzo and Dantonio must have known and should be called to the carpet over it.  Now the same thing is happening at U of M, only this time directly tied to football, and it's just crickets, nationally.  With all the on-air personalities with Wolverine ties at ESPN makes you wonder. 

On 6/8/2021 at 5:18 PM, Red Comet said:

I think the bowls should stay, but go from 42 down to 20, with 10 of those bowls in the rotation for the playoffs, and the best matchups that didn't make the playoffs. the traditional 4 (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange) and the next best 4-8 bowl games that rotate for the quarters. 

On 6/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Is what's happening at the University of Michigan getting any play nationally?  Today's statement from Bo Schembechler's kid is pretty stunning.

I've seen written articles on espn.com and other sports site, but very limited coverage on ESPN TV. 

On 6/9/2021 at 2:27 PM, See Red said:

But then you have to make the regular season great again.  A large playoff would be fun but you do run the risk of ruining what makes the regular season great which, since the postseason sucks, is what makes the entire sport great.  For instance, as a Florida fan, I know currently that there is no path to the CFP that doesn't include beating Georgia.  But under even this 12 team proposal, both Florida and Georgia would have both made it in in each of the past three seasons.  Same with Ohio State-Michigan in a few seasons.  I'm sure there's others.

FBS football is the only level of football where they make sure the teams with great seasons that aren't in the Big 5 leagues don't have a chance to win a national title, . . . for now. The last team that did that was BYU in the 1980's. Before that? I have no clue. This is a giant boost for the Group of 5 teams that go undefeated, which is going to be harder for them because the Power 5 teams will be replacing FCS teams with them a bit more since fans are getting tired of playing those teams and have voted with their feet by not showing up for those games. It's even why Alabama will soon not be playing neutral site games at the start of the season.  Fans want to see them blow out Florida State at home instead of paying for overpriced tickets and flying out to Dallas or Atlanta to do it there. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-expansion-how-a-12-team-field-would-have-looked-in-each-of-last-seven-seasons/

ESPN's version.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/31611084/college-football-playoff-expansion-12-team-historic-simulations-storylines-more

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/11/2021 at 9:55 AM, MJWalker45 said:

FBS football is the only level of football where they make sure the teams with great seasons that aren't in the Big 5 leagues don't have a chance to win a national title, . . . for now. The last team that did that was BYU in the 1980's. Before that? I have no clue. This is a giant boost for the Group of 5 teams that go undefeated, which is going to be harder for them because the Power 5 teams will be replacing FCS teams with them a bit more since fans are getting tired of playing those teams and have voted with their feet by not showing up for those games.

The last team not currently in the P5 other than BYU in 1984 to win a widely recognized title was Army in 1944-1946. Otherwise TCU in 2010 and Utah in 2008 as members of the MWC and UCF's 2017 team both got odd selectors to recognize them as champs, but only UCF claims it.

Archived