College Football 2021

MJWalker45

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

An expanded playoff would be better in theory; giving more teams an opportunity, and shortening the amount of time that teams sit idle between regular season and postseason. Unfortunately, with the current state of college football, the end results would not change. The same teams will still win because they've stacked the deck. Unless the NCAA actually enforces universal minimum academic standards, and requires every school to actually honor scholarships, the schools in power will remain in power regardless of postseason format. But we all know the NCAA won't do sh!t to change anything.

I think playoff expansion to 12 would change some things that alter parity in a small way — for example, making Alabama play Georgia in a semi-final game this year with six days of prep, then have to turn around and beat someone else on eight days of prep — but you'd still have the same cadre of 4-5 teams winning nearly all the national titles, which is fine. It's how the sport works.

More than anything, the biggest issue the playoff has now is public perception — it's boring, features the same teams repeatedly, and games are often uncompetitive. I think an expanded playoff could shift public perception pretty quickly because it'll introduce some first- and second-round matchups that are, quite frankly, more interesting than the games we get now. The NCAA tournament isn't popular because the Final Four games are good, right?

If you think about it, the average non-playoff New Year's Six game has been far more compelling than the average playoff game. Where the semifinals are typically blowouts, 14 of the 30 non-playoff NY6 bowls to date have been decided by one possession, and we've gotten two entertaining games already today. Yet nobody really cares outside of your core college football fans, because the playoff is the only thing we hype up to casual fans for four straight months.

The matchups in a 12-team playoff would end up a little different, but it's a better product because there's just simply less to separate, say, Notre Dame and Utah (which would be a first-round game this year in the proposed 12-team playoff) than there is to separate Alabama and Cincinnati. You'd also probably have a knock-on effect that produces better semifinal games when the really good team that lost the one game it couldn't in the current system now makes the playoff.

I think the 2015 season is a great example. The playoff we got had two pretty uncompelling semifinals — Clemson handled Oklahoma, while Alabama completely overmatched Michigan State — in part because really good Stanford (body clocks loss at Northwestern) and Ohio State* (inexplicable loss to MSU) teams lost games they couldn't afford to in the regular season. A 12-team playoff brings those teams back into play, and sets up some cool things like:

• A first-round game where No. 9 Florida State visits No. 8 Notre Dame for a mid-December night game, in a rematch of a contentious, high-profile game the year before.
  • A likely quarterfinal game between No. 2 Alabama and No. 7 Ohio State (*who I think you could argue was the actual best team that season), in a rematch of the previous year's semifinal.
  • A semifinal between No. 6 Stanford and the winner of that Alabama/Ohio State game, if Stanford beats No. 3 Michigan State in that quarterfinal (now the Rose Bowl!) — that would almost certainly be better than the 38-0 drubbing we actually got in that year's Cotton Bowl.

We've probably added three compelling games to the playoff product, just through expansion, and I think you get a similar set of factors in most years. Does it change how you win a national championship? Abso-:censored:ing-lutely — but we've already done that in some sense by creating a system where teams like 2017 Alabama and 2021 Georgia can lose the most important game on their schedule and be fine. Add more interesting and fun games to the product, and through that, shift the general sports public's perception of everything.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

Someone more well versed in the details can explain this to me. Why does the SEC seem to have the most robust pipeline for recruits compared to well established schools across the rest of the country? I can see how big state schools have boosters and enough money flowing in to recruit top talent, but since 2006, five non-SEC schools have won and three of them were SEC adjacent. Compare the modern area with the run of titles from 1994-2005 and you see winning schools from all regions of the country. All regions had at least one appearance during that time. So I wonder what rules are being bent that are allowing one specific conference to maintain a Patriots like strangle hold on the DI championship.

1. Mike Slive

2. the marketing both to fans, players, recruits, etc. Slive pushed 

3. old schools with deep booster pools

4. Bag Men

Slive goal was so well achieved, that now even if the SEC wasn't the best conference on the file in a particular season, people would still say they were. But since they are good, they routinely get multiple teams in the CFP or the NY6 at the very least, they continue to get the nice money from these bowls dumped into the league bowl pool every year.

Factor in their TV deal with everything else above and you've got mountains of money to lure recruits and keep the whole machine going. 

In the new SEC, you've got six to eight teams that if they got their :censored: together could be in the playoff discussion on an almost yearly basis. Some of them seemingly prefer to embrace chaos or constant disappointment (looking at you Auburn and Tennessee), three need to capitalize on their recruiting (LSU, A&M, and UT), UF needs to just get a coach who can coach and recruit (I think they have). Georgia and Bama have it all figured out and Georgia just hasn't broken through yet.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

2 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

I mean, I think the original origin is probably the Tournament of Roses Parade pre-dating the Rose Bowl Game itself — that set January 1 as the date, and all of the legacy bowls followed when they were founded. It becomes a tradition thing at that point, and in the days before commercial air travel, it probably didn't hurt that it gave fans time to travel.

Makes perfect sense.

BB52Big.jpg

If you're looking for a team that was more deserving of a playoff spot than Michigan, I nominate the Utah Utes. I've watched at least five of their games this season and that is a really good football team. They just lost a game to my Buckeyes that I would have been perfectly OK with them winning. They gave the Buckeyes all they could handle.

BB52Big.jpg

Matt Corral was carted off the field after getting his leg rolled up on, which is why jerkoffs like Kirk Herbstreit and Desmond Howard, who call these players entitled and say they "don't love football" because they don't want to get hurt in exhibition games, can go to hell.  Piss off, Herbstreit.  You love football so much?  Announce these games for free.  Herbstreit was undrafted and never made it on an NFL roster -- his decision to play in the Gator Bowl isn't the same decision these kids are being faced with.

Corral's on crutches but the injury doesn't appear to be too serious.

edit: Meanwhile David Pollack sits there silent like a schmuck despite almost being paralyzed and having his career ended on single play.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, See Red said:

Matt Corral was carted off the field after getting his leg rolled up on, which is why jerkoffs like Kirk Herbstreit and Desmond Howard, who call these players entitled and say they "don't love football" because they don't want to get hurt in exhibition games, can go to hell.  Piss off, Herbstreit.  You love football so much?  Announce these games for free.  Herbstreit was undrafted and never made it on an NFL roster -- his decision to play in the Gator Bowl isn't the same decision these kids are being faced with.

edit: Meanwhile David Pollack sits there silent like a schmuck despite almost being paralyzed and having his career ended on single play.

The whole "entitlement " argument about younger generations gets so tiring. Why should these students have to go through what Weedstreit went through? If anything these alumni should be HELPING these students get better arrangements than the other way around. 

I saw, I came, I left.

26 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

The whole "entitlement " argument about younger generations gets so tiring. Why should these students have to go through what Weedstreit went through? If anything these alumni should be HELPING these students get better arrangements than the other way around. 

Something like toxic fairness? “I had to go through this so it’s only fair that they have to go through this too!”

Is your goal to win college football games or is your goal to get drafted and make as much money as you can?  Assuming the latter, once you've reached the point where you're likely going to be drafted as high as is your ceiling, it's ridiculous to keep playing.  If you don't really care about any of that and just want to be Al Bundy and brag about how many touchdowns you scored in amateur football, then sure - keep playing.  But if you tear your Achilles  or break your femur or dislocate your spine, nobody will cry.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, See Red said:

Ohio State had a kid in an air cast after a block from behind. Had this happened to Wilson, Place, Banks or any of the guys that opted out but still played special teams in the regular season, how far would they have dropped? I'd imagine they'd be out of the draft altogether since it's probably a year of rehab, if his career isn't done. Howard talking about being excited to make a bowl, there were 18-24 bowls at most when he played? Toronto, Canada was probably the coldest location and it was in a dome, unlike Boise. And bowl swag? With NIL, I'm pretty sure most kids are able to get those items on their own instead of hoping to make a bowl that has the nicer gifts. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I've had my question sufficiently answered. Thank you all for the enlightening and informative responses. 👍

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

On 1/1/2022 at 6:12 PM, infrared41 said:

If you're looking for a team that was more deserving of a playoff spot than Michigan, I nominate the Utah Utes. I've watched at least five of their games this season and that is a really good football team. They just lost a game to my Buckeyes that I would have been perfectly OK with them winning. They gave the Buckeyes all they could handle.

One of the few bright spots of Arizona's season is that of all the teams that Utah beat, we came the closest to beating them. Oregon got boatraced by Utah twice, while we only lost by 9. That gives me hope for this team.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

21 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

One of the few bright spots of Arizona's season is that of all the teams that Utah beat, we came the closest to beating them. Oregon got boatraced by Utah twice, while we only lost by 9. That gives me hope for this team.

Arizona got a highly sought transfer WR out of UTEP over the likes of Florida, LSU, and Oregon. Granted, he has a two-year-old son in Arizona, but it's a great get regardless. Also just saw Arizona got a transfer from Michigan I don't know much about. 

Things are going really well there right now. 

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

No. Jim Harbaugh needs to stay at Michigan for as long as possible. If he leaves for the NFL, Michigan might screw up and accidentally hire a good coach.

Is there a wide enough pool of available "Michigan Men" left out there?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Harbaugh made the CFP, which has now become the Final Four equivalent for college football coaches. I think that's as good a capper he can hope for.

Plus, I liked him in the NFL and hope he's successful upon return.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

16 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Harbaugh made the CFP, which has now become the Final Four equivalent for college football coaches. I think that's as good a capper he can hope for.

It was more luck than anything else that got him that far. That said, I'll be the first to admit that as an Ohio State fan my opinion may be slightly* biased. 🙃

*OK, extremely biased.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived