College Football 2021

MJWalker45

Urban Meyer is available...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

No, and that's what I'm afraid of. 😎

The idea that a coach needs to be a "alma mater" man is why Nebraska is falling behind. Frost hasn't been able to get the players he needs to put in the system he wants. He's also stuck up for a QB that hasn't been able to progress the way he should have by now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

The idea that a coach needs to be a "alma mater" man is why Nebraska is falling behind. Frost hasn't been able to get the players he needs to put in the system he wants. He's also stuck up for a QB that hasn't been able to progress the way he should have by now.

To be fair, Frost was the hottest coaching prospect anywhere. It's not like Nebraska was hiring Brady Hoke. UCF went winless the season before he took over, and two years later they were national champions*

14 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

To be fair, Frost was the hottest coaching prospect anywhere. It's not like Nebraska was hiring Brady Hoke. UCF went winless the season before he took over, and two years later they were national champions*

Yeah, can't blame them for wanting Frost but allegedly Florida did their due diligence and decided Frost wasn't ready (didn't do their due diligence on Mullen, though).

That said, I thought at the time the winless to undefeated thing was overblown. They won 31 games in the three seasons before going winless.  I don't know what the hell happened in 2015 but it was an anomaly.

IUe6Hvh.png

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

NDSU has won 9 FCS Championships in 11 seasons

I didn't even watch, mainly because I didn't realize kickoff was 11 AM local, but also because Montana State had to be perfect just to keep it close. James Madison is likely the only team that could play with them this year. Next year JMU won't be in the playoffs since they're prepping for FBS football. I'd be interested to see if Jackson State skips the Celebration Bowl, if they qualify, just to see how much improved they'll be with the incoming players.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

35 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I didn't even watch, mainly because I didn't realize kickoff was 11 AM local, but also because Montana State had to be perfect just to keep it close. James Madison is likely the only team that could play with them this year. Next year JMU won't be in the playoffs since they're prepping for FBS football. I'd be interested to see if Jackson State skips the Celebration Bowl, if they qualify, just to see how much improved they'll be with the incoming players.

Time out...

...What???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

12 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

James Madison is moving up to FBS in 2023 and as a result they can't be in the FCS playoffs next year. 

What the world [is possessing] them to make that move? Do they really have that big a following down there now?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

2 minutes ago, tBBP said:

What the world [is possessing] them to make that move? Do they really have that big a following down there now?

They're joining the Sunbelt Conference immediately, so they're getting a bump in money for athletics when they move up. I think having a few local rivals helped them make the jump too. 

https://www.jmu.edu/news/2021/11/05-sunbelt-announcement.shtml

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

They're joining the Sunbelt Conference immediately, so they're getting a bump in money for athletics when they move up. I think having a few local rivals helped them make the jump too. 

https://www.jmu.edu/news/2021/11/05-sunbelt-announcement.shtml

Interesting! I hope the Dukes find success down there in the good ol' Fun Belt. 

(Total sidebar but: having been down through that part of Virginia about 1700 times over over past two years, from Blackburg clear up to Front Royal, yes, that Blue Ridge down there is absolutely some of THE most beautiful scenery in the country...rivals anything out west.)

4 minutes ago, tBBP said:

(Total sidebar but: having been down through that part of Virginia about 1700 times over over past two years, from Blackburg clear up to Front Royal, yes, that Blue Ridge down there is absolutely some of THE most beautiful scenery in the country...rivals anything out west.)

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I need to plot out a motorcycle ride down that way.

BB52Big.jpg

11 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I need to plot out a motorcycle ride down that way.

Go for it, bro! Since you'll be on a bike, you can take the Blue Ridge Parkway (which actually starts clear down in North Carolina, but doesn't go all the way to Winchester), or I-81 if you want the express route from Bristol on up to Winchester, then head back south on 81 and then cut back west across I-64 back toward Beckley WV. That 64 has some absolutely breathtaking views,  especially since it cuts through/across the Appalachians. It is for that same reason that the WV Turnpike can be a nice scenic drive as well--if you don't mind paying tolls from Beckley to Charleston.

Also, if you do make it to Beckley, be sure to stop at the Tamarack Travel Plaza off the  45 exit of the WV Turnpike. There's several hotels right near there if you want to make a weekend of it--and good whitewater rafting near the New River Gorge, all near Beckley. It's one of the nation's best-kept recreational secrets.

Archived