Jump to content

College Football 2021


MJWalker45
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wow... potential classic matchups if this had been implimented earlier.

Chanticleers would of faced Notre Dame
Penn State faced Notre Dame in 2018
Alabama going up against an unbeaten team in 2017, the real champs UCF
Western Michigan going up against Ohio State in a maybe giant killer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2021 at 4:46 PM, dont care said:

It won’t shut people up though. People will still complain that some 4 loss who ever at 16 didn’t get a shot.

With only 4 slots, a team could win every game they played and still miss out on the playoffs if there were 4 other P5 undefeateds (very unlikely) or you didn’t join the right conference 100 years ago (much more likely). Now, all you need to say to #13 is “should’ve won your conference and we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

 

Yes, of course people will still complain. But it’s a lot easier to argue that a 1 loss #5 who won their conference should‘ve gotten a chance to prove they’re the best team in the country than a 3 loss #13 who didn’t even win their division.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

With only 4 slots, a team could win every game they played and still miss out on the playoffs if there were 4 other P5 undefeateds (very unlikely) or you didn’t join the right conference 100 years ago (much more likely). Now, all you need to say to #13 is “should’ve won your conference and we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

 

Yes, of course people will still complain. But it’s a lot easier to argue that a 1 loss #5 who won their conference should‘ve gotten a chance to prove they’re the best team in the country than a 3 loss #13 who didn’t even win their division.

We'll still be dealing with ranking boards that rank some teams in certain conferences higher than they should be. I'd  prefer that only the semi-finals and final be at neutral site. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd prefer the play-in and quarters be on-campus. Keep the current setup of rotating semis and the rest of the bowls. 

 

They clearly put a ton of thought into this already. As weird as 12 sounds initially, 16 would be too many and 8 is not enough. With 8, the teams wouldn't be happy if the Power 5 had autobids and we had a year where a team like 2010's 8-4 UConn was a co-champ of a cluster year in the Big East. Imagine we have a two-loss Oklahoma or Oregon tie up an autobid and a 11-1 Cinci with convincing win over a decent Power 5 opponent is stuck missing an at-large.

 

The six conference champ autobids virtually locks in all five Power 5 leagues, unless we have another 2010 BEast, and at lease one G5 champ a year.  Most years, at least one of the G5 champs will be decently highly ranked so you likely won't have a 7-5 unranked team smoked in the playoff. 

 

I also think this might be Swarbrick starting the long play of moving ND into a conference. He's said something along the lines of "we'll never have to hear we didn't play enough games because we didn't have a CCG." That's nice bravado but I think ND fans will be livid if they're clearly the best team or top four but they don't get a bye because they're not a conference champ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Geoff said:

I'd prefer the play-in and quarters be on-campus. Keep the current setup of rotating semis and the rest of the bowls. 

 

They clearly put a ton of thought into this already. As weird as 12 sounds initially, 16 would be too many and 8 is not enough. With 8, the teams wouldn't be happy if the Power 5 had autobids and we had a year where a team like 2010's 8-4 UConn was a co-champ of a cluster year in the Big East. Imagine we have a two-loss Oklahoma or Oregon tie up an autobid and a 11-1 Cinci with convincing win over a decent Power 5 opponent is stuck missing an at-large.

 

The six conference champ autobids virtually locks in all five Power 5 leagues, unless we have another 2010 BEast, and at lease one G5 champ a year.  Most years, at least one of the G5 champs will be decently highly ranked so you likely won't have a 7-5 unranked team smoked in the playoff. 

 

I also think this might be Swarbrick starting the long play of moving ND into a conference. He's said something along the lines of "we'll never have to hear we didn't play enough games because we didn't have a CCG." That's nice bravado but I think ND fans will be livid if they're clearly the best team or top four but they don't get a bye because they're not a conference champ.

Notre Dame will get a "bye" during Conference Championship Game weekend and it's very likely they'll have a home game coming off that "bye" week. If Notre Dame would make it to the finals they would have still played the same number of total games as a team who got a first round bye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Luigi74 said:

Notre Dame will get a "bye" during Conference Championship Game weekend and it's very likely they'll have a home game coming off that "bye" week. If Notre Dame would make it to the finals they would have still played the same number of total games as a team who got a first round bye.

I think they talked about possibly doing a 13th game during the conference championship week as well, or some time during the season. I think the biggest hurdle is that NBC contract, which runs through 2025, unless they agree to make the ACC part of that schedule. If Notre Dame joined the league, the ACC game of the week could take place on NBC when Notre Dame is away from home.  That would be a boon to teams that would like to get more exposure in the Northeast and Midwest than they currently do now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The biggest roadblock to a 13th game would be NCAA guidelines. Unless it's been rewritten , the only way to get a 13th game is to be a D1 team based in or playing a game in Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico. And ND can't just play a game against any team in Alaska or PR, it would have to be a team from there.

 

17.28.2 Alaska/Hawaii, Additional Football Contest
Member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii shall be permitted to exceed, by one, the maximum number of football contests permitted under Bylaw 17.9.5.1 but otherwise shall conform to the same maximum number of contests and dates of competition permitted other members of the Association.

17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS]
The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:

(k) Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico. [FBS/FCS]
Any football games played in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico,respectively, either against or under the sponsorship of an active member institution located in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, by a Division I member institution located outside the area in question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31696723/petco-park-replaces-qualcomm-stadium-site-holiday-bowl

The Holiday Bowl will be at Petco Park for the next few seasons until San Diego State's new stadium is up and running. SDSU will be playing their home games at Dignity Health Park in Carson, CA this year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Roughly one month away, so it's time to update the annual Active Nat'l Champion Coaches List.

 

With Les Miles gone from Kansas, we are back down to five: 

  1. Nick Saban, Alabama (2020, 2017, 2015, 2012, 2011, 2009)(2003- LSU)
  2. Dabo Swinney, Clemson (2016, 2018)
  3. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M (Florida State, 2013)
  4. Mack Brown, UNC (Texas, 2005)
  5. Ed Orgeron, LSU (2019)

     
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2021 at 5:35 PM, Geoff said:

The biggest roadblock to a 13th game would be NCAA guidelines. Unless it's been rewritten , the only way to get a 13th game is to be a D1 team based in or playing a game in Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico. And ND can't just play a game against any team in Alaska or PR, it would have to be a team from there.

 

17.28.2 Alaska/Hawaii, Additional Football Contest
Member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii shall be permitted to exceed, by one, the maximum number of football contests permitted under Bylaw 17.9.5.1 but otherwise shall conform to the same maximum number of contests and dates of competition permitted other members of the Association.

17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS]
The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:

(k) Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico. [FBS/FCS]
Any football games played in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico,respectively, either against or under the sponsorship of an active member institution located in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, by a Division I member institution located outside the area in question.

 

When was the last time Notre Dame played Hawaii anyways?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I think it's worth pointing out that even Mike Riley had a winning record at Nebraska. Come to think of it, so did Bill Callahan. Frost's tenure has been such an absolute disaster. He was supposed to be their chosen one and instead he's getting beat by Illinois. Again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I think it's worth pointing out that even Mike Riley had a winning record at Nebraska. Come to think of it, so did Bill Callahan. Frost's tenure has been such an absolute disaster. He was supposed to be their chosen one and instead he's getting beat by Illinois. Again.

 

They'll hit the panic button if they lose to Fordham next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.