Miami and Miami

CrimsonBull9584

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only realized where Cincinnati was a couple of years ago when wondering what river the Reds stadium is near.  Was surprised that it's basically Kentucky.  The Reds really should have turned that stadium around the other way.  Cincinnati doesn't have a notable skyline, but it would be a better view than what they ended up with.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Being not from Ohio and refusing to google this specific thing after the thirty seconds of googling I did earlier, I'm pretty sure they're in southwest Ohio since they have a historical rivalry with Cincinnati. No idea what that means in relation to Dayton though.

Turns out that Miami University is damned near in Indiana. It's north of Cincinnati near the Indiana border. Until today, I thought it was in the wastelands somewhere between Columbus and...well...the rest of Southern Ohio. 

BB52Big.jpg

12 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I only realized where Cincinnati was a couple of years ago when wondering what river the Reds stadium is near.  Was surprised that it's basically Kentucky.  The Reds really should have turned that stadium around the other way.  Cincinnati doesn't have a notable skyline, but it would be a better view than what they ended up with.

Cincinnati is across the Ohio river from Florence, KY which is home to the Minor League Florence Y'alls. Once you get south of Columbus, it's all basically Northern Kentucky. 

BraveBountifulGnat-small.gif

BB52Big.jpg

Ohio is full of weird stuff like that. Like Youngstown being closer in geography and spirit to Pittsburgh than the rest of Ohio, or Toledo being a satellite of Detroit and the two states having some border war around there. Ohio, truly the crossroads of a bunch of other places northeasterners can't be bothered to care about.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I believe this is the case with at least some of the old Big 8 schools that all use reversed initials. It may not have necessarily been the case for all of them that their old name was [State] University before swapping to University of [State]. University of Kansas as KU, University of Missouri as MU, University of Colorado as CU, etc.

Why would a school swap the name like that? To sound more formal? Or is it because of better accreditation?

My alma mater was Northwestern College, going by the initials NWC until 2012, when they jumped to be a University. Now we’re the University of Northwestern-St. Paul, (going by UNW now) as not to be confused with the Northwestern in Chicago. 🙃

And the U and the U of M makes me think of Minnesota first. Almost everyone here in the Twin Cities calls the University of Minnesota the “U” or sometimes the “U of M”

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Turns out that Miami University is damned near in Indiana. It's north of Cincinnati near the Indiana border. Until today, I thought it was in the wastelands somewhere between Columbus and...well...the rest of Southern Ohio. 

And let me tell you...all you those times I've run US-35 from Dayton down to WV (which is, like, all the dang time since our busiest customer is out near Lynchburg VA), US-33 from Columbus down to WV, OH-23 from Cincinnati to, well, WV (sensing a theme here?), I can tell you that, in fact, ain't jack down through there. Jack

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

Cincinnati doesn't have a notable skyline, but it would be a better view than what they ended up with.

I don't know about that one...granted, somebody done crashed down in the lower deck of the I-71/75 bridge into Cincinnati a couple months back and dang near burnt the thing down in the process so you wouldn't be able to see it now from that angle, but I think it might be one of the more picturesque skylines in the U.S.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

What's really annoying is when people just use Ohio when referring to Ohio State, as if there isn't a regular Ohio.

Agreed.  The script Ohio bothers me since there is an actual Ohio University.

. . . and these shirts don't make it seem like Jesse Owens when to Ohio STATE.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

19 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

What do you mean?

I'm not quite sure how to answer this question given that this is a forum related to sports. What I'm saying is that if you're a sports fan (college football in particular) and somebody says Miami, you don't think about the university located in Ohio, you think about the Miami Hurricanes. Hence the "Miami of Ohio" terminology I'm used to hearing.

Another example, I have a friend whose son goes to USC...no, not the University of Southern California, but the University of South Carolina. Not being from that region, when I hear USC I think of the California school.

Another weird college naming thing is when a state has two different types of state higher-education systems.

One example is CA, where there's the "of California" system, and the "State University" system.

PA is weird like that too.  There's the "State University" system, like Pennsylvania State University, and the "Of Pennsylvania" system, for the state-system-of-higher-education system (California University of Pennsylvania, West Chester University of Pennsylvania, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, et al.) 

But those can't be confused with the Ivy League's University of Pennsylvania, which has nuthin' to do with those other schools.  I went to one of them, and still get looks from people that either have no idea where I went to school, or think it was some branch campus of U of P.  I should just let them think that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

58 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Another weird college naming thing is when a state has two different types of state higher-education systems.

If we are going to branch out to similar things, here's one that always kind of baffled me...having the letters not match up with how the school is commonly referred to. For example, the University of Colorado is known as CU and not UC. There are other examples I know, but this one jumps out at me right now...and if we follow that trend, then the University of Florida should be FU! 🙂

21 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I believe this is the case with at least some of the old Big 8 schools that all use reversed initials. It may not have necessarily been the case for all of them that their old name was [State] University before swapping to University of [State]. University of Kansas as KU, University of Missouri as MU, University of Colorado as CU, etc.

As far as I can tell, none of the old Big 8 schools were ever [State] University. Maybe it was just a way to differentiate them from schools with the same initials? UK is Kentucky, so Kansas went with KU; UM is Michigan so Missouri went with MU, and so on. Or maybe they're all dyslexic.

13 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Why would a school swap the name like that? To sound more formal? Or is it because of better accreditation?

In Toledo's case, they were a municipally funded school while known as Toledo University, then switched to University of Toledo when they became state funded.

8 hours ago, tBBP said:

I don't know about that one...granted, somebody done crashed down in the lower deck of the I-71/75 bridge into Cincinnati a couple months back and dang near burnt the thing down in the process so you wouldn't be able to see it now from that angle, but I think it might be one of the more picturesque skylines in the U.S.

They did name a chili after it after all. And I think the bridge is open again now.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

One example is CA, where there's the "of California" system, and the "State University" system.

PA is weird like that too.  There's the "State University" system, like Pennsylvania State University, and the "Of Pennsylvania" system, for the state-system-of-higher-education system (California University of Pennsylvania, West Chester University of Pennsylvania, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, et al.) 

But those can't be confused with the Ivy League's University of Pennsylvania, which has nuthin' to do with those other schools.  I went to one of them, and still get looks from people that either have no idea where I went to school, or think it was some branch campus of U of P.  I should just let them think that.

I'd argue your nomenclature that the state university system are your Slippery Rock(the best one, of course), your Edinboro, your IUP because it's the Pennsylvania State System of HIgher Education. Technically, Penn State is only state related and not a state school.

Which goes back to your point, it's confusing for anyone outside of PA and even some in PA too

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

11 minutes ago, _J_ said:

I'd argue your nomenclature that the state university system are your Slippery Rock(the best one, of course), your Edinboro, your IUP because it's the Pennsylvania State System of HIgher Education. Technically, Penn State is only state related and not a state school.

Which goes back to your point, it's confusing for anyone outside of PA and even some in PA too

My bachelor's is from IUP, which nobody east of Harrisburg knows of.  I'm glad I got a grad degree from a well-known school, because explaining IUP (is it a branch of U of P in Indiana?  Is it a branch of Indiana but in PA?) can be exhausting.

Just now, BBTV said:

My bachelor's is from IUP, which nobody east of Harrisburg knows of.  I'm glad I got a grad degree from a well-known school, because explaining IUP (is it a branch of U of P in Indiana?  Is it a branch of Indiana but in PA?) can be exhausting.

I mean, at least you dont have Dr. Phil making fun of your school on national TV thinking it's a fake school. I have a masters from Slippery Rock and am going for my doctorate there as well. Thankfully I'm in education so it's well known.

Shocked it doesnt have name recognition still in PA. Then again, I dont know anything east of Shippensburg except I think Kutztown exists and a millersboro.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

5 hours ago, burgundy said:

As far as I can tell, none of the old Big 8 schools were ever [State] University. Maybe it was just a way to differentiate them from schools with the same initials? UK is Kentucky, so Kansas went with KU; UM is Michigan so Missouri went with MU, and so on. Or maybe they're all dyslexic.

Well then. Either somebody lied to me or I made that up. Don't know. Even in my fever dream version of events I mostly assumed they had the backwards initials for branding purposes as mentioned.

Seeing the IUP initial reminds me of the weirdness of IUPUI, aka Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. Are there other examples where there's a school called something like University of Texas-Texas A&M University Dallas?

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

Well then. Either somebody lied to me or I made that up. Don't know. Even in my fever dream version of events I mostly assumed they had the backwards initials for branding purposes as mentioned.

Seeing the IUP initial reminds me of the weirdness of IUPUI, aka Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. Are there other examples where there's a school called something like University of Texas-Texas A&M University Dallas?

Virginia–Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine is the only one I can think of. It's affiliated with Virginia Tech and Maryland.

Archived