Recommended Posts

Miami University's name is derived from that of the Miami (Myaamia in their own tongue) nation which originally occupied land in what is today's Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana. The University of Miami's name is derived from the former name of Lake Okeechobee, which was once know as Lake Mayaimi. Lake Mayaimi shared its name with a Native American people who occupied land around the body of water.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Coming back to this because I think I found the Holy Grail of U of City - City names: University of Houston-Victoria at Katy. A satellite college of a university in the U of H system, or in other words, University of City-Another City at Yet Another City!

 

Holy jack, dude--Victoria is like 2 hours southwest from Houston while Katy is barely a half-hour west.  Yeah, that one is definitely up there...

 

5 hours ago, leopard88 said:

 

Pittsburgh is like this if you come in from the south/southwest on I-376.  You can't see the city at all until you emerge from the Fort Pitt tunnel and then -- BAM!!! -- the city is right in front of you.

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

 

That may be the one thing about the 'Burgh I never get tired of--and may sometimes go off-route for, just to go through those tunnels.  BUT, before any of the local catch you and flog you, that's Parkway West, not 376. 😆

 

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Miami University's name is derived from that of the Miami (Myaamia in their own tongue) nation which originally occupied land in what is today's Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana. The University of Miami's name is derived from the former name of Lake Okeechobee, which was once know as Lake Mayaimi. Lake Mayaimi shared its name with a Native American people who occupied land around the body of water.

 

All of which is a way of saying: "it's a smaaalll world aaafter allll..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, leopard88 said:

 

Pittsburgh is like this if you come in from the south/southwest on I-376.  You can't see the city at all until you emerge from the Fort Pitt tunnel and then -- BAM!!! -- the city is right in front of you.

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

 

I spent the first five years of my professional career in Pittsburgh, living off of Banksville Road, which meant I got the Fort Pitt Tunnel experience every day I went to work. 

 

I'll never forget when I arrived in Pittsburgh for my job interview. The cab driver bringing me in from the airport referred to Pittsburgh as the only city in America with an entrance (or its own front door, or something to that point.) He was spot on. 

 

(That said: driving through it for the first time is incredibly intimidating. The second you get past that breathtaking view you have, like, four choices to make in terms of exits, and you have to make them quickly.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

 

I spent the first five years of my professional career in Pittsburgh, living off of Banksville Road, which meant I got the Fort Pitt Tunnel experience every day I went to work. 

 

I'll never forget when I arrived in Pittsburgh for my job interview. The cab driver bringing me in from the airport referred to Pittsburgh as the only city in America with an entrance (or its own front door, or something to that point.) He was spot on. 

 

(That said: driving through it for the first time is incredibly intimidating. The second you get past that breathtaking view you have, like, four choices to make in terms of exits, and you have to make them quickly.)

 

Bold 1: I know exactly where you were, depending on which side of Crane Road you were on. I wasn't much further south, down 51 past Brownsville Road (actually, more like 51 @ Curry Hollow). Definitely a small world!

 

Bold 2: yup, that be the (top deck of the) Fort Pitt Bridge--you better know where you going, and you better know what lane to be in to get there before you get there.

 

It's even worse going the other way:

 

gtrroadmemes2052913.jpg

 

And that's all you get. Oh, the fun of navigating that mess in a semi...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tBBP said:

 

Bold 1: I know exactly where you were, depending on which side of Crane Road you were on. I wasn't much further south, down 51 past Brownsville Road (actually, more like 51 @ Curry Hollow). Definitely a small world!

 

Bold 2: yup, that be the (top deck of the) Fort Pitt Bridge--you better know where you going, and you better know what lane to be in to get there before you get there.

 

It's even worse going the other way:

 

gtrroadmemes2052913.jpg

 

And that's all you get. Oh, the fun of navigating that mess in a semi...

 

Yes, this exactly. I actually got in a four-car wreck just outside the tunnel, likely due to someone further up the tunnel making the wrong decision.

 

(And I actually lived ON Crane Avenue, in an apartment complex about a half-mile up from the Eat 'n Park on Banksville Road. I still dream about getting cuts of Beto's Pizza. That was a long time ago, though. Fall of '99 to 2004ish)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I know that Fort Pitt gets all the fame but for my money you can't beat the Liberty Tunnel then Bridge for the view. That and coming back on the 79 and seeing from a distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sport said:

Really there's like 3 skylines in the world that are decipherable from another out there so maybe it's not "notable", but coming down the hill on 71, especially at night, when the city rises up out of nowhere is pretty cool. Picturesque is a good word. The way the highway is situated hides it from view until you hit that curve and it provides for an impactful sight. I don't ever get tired of it.

 

Entering St. Louis from Illinois is a lot like this. It's pretty cool after the end of a long drive/ride downstate. The only problem is then you're in St. Louis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, _J_ said:

So, I know that Fort Pitt gets all the fame but for my money you can't beat the Liberty Tunnel then Bridge for the view. That and coming back on the 79 and seeing from a distance.

 

That would require one or both of the Tubes and/or Bridge to not be shut down due to construction... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tBBP said:

 

That would require one or both of the Tubes and/or Bridge to not be shut down due to construction... 

This is true. I'm used to coming into downtown via Arlington/Station Square so it's the view i'm used to.

 

That said, PJ McArdle is an awful road

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, _J_ said:

This is true. I'm used to coming into downtown via Arlington/Station Square so it's the view i'm used to.

 

That said, PJ McArdle is an awful road

 

Bro... ain't it, though?? Then again that whole hillside's probably about ready to give anyday now...

 

...Also, not to further Burgh-jack this thread, but for those of y'all yinz who never got to "experience" Pittsburgh in all it's jagged-off splendor, here's a good sample--and a good laugh.

 

 

(Granted, most of the ol' dialect sounds like it's dying out around town these days, but back in the day...maaannn...)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tBBP said:

 

Bro... ain't it, though?? Then again that whole hillside's probably about ready to go anyway now...

 

...Also, not to further Burgh-jack this thread, but for those of y'all yinz who never got to "experience" Pittsburgh in all it's jagged-off splendor, here's a good sample--and a good laugh.

 

 

(Granted, most of the ol' dialect sounds like it's dying out, but back in the day...maaannn...)

 

 

 

I prefer yinzerification of a thread, but true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tBBP said:

That may be the one thing about the 'Burgh I never get tired of--and may sometimes go off-route for, just to go through those tunnels.  BUT, before any of the local catch you and flog you, that's Parkway West, not 376. 😆

 

Duly noted . . . and thanks for the save.  I only know as the way in from the airport.

 

16 hours ago, tBBP said:

Bold 2: yup, that be the (top deck of the) Fort Pitt Bridge--you better know where you going, and you better know what lane to be in to get there before you get there.

 

It's even worse going the other way:

 

gtrroadmemes2052913.jpg

 

And that's all you get. Oh, the fun of navigating that mess in a semi...

 

I've only had to do it in a rental car in both directions, going to/from the Monroeville area to the airport . . . at least twice with snow falling.*

 

* -- In pre-GPS, turn-by-turn-directions-on-your-dashboard days, I should add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 9:36 PM, Red Wolf said:

 

Named after a tribe, which is why they used to have a less-than-okay nickname.

 

 

Technically, so was Miami, FL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 3:50 PM, Red Wolf said:

I wonder how common things like this are. I know UA Little Rock used to have a satellite campus in one of the suburbs, but it's apparently closed down now. Probably because the main community college in the area is now officially part of the UA system and they have campuses in North Little Rock and south Little Rock.

 

The weirdest one I'm familiar with is within the Arkansas State system. The flagship is in Jonesboro, which is in the northeastern part of the state. They have a satellite campus in Newport, about 20 minutes away. But then that satellite has a satellite back in Jonesboro, so we have ASU-Newport-Jonesboro.

Yikes...that'd be like inexplicably having, say, a UW satellite named UW-Whitewater-Madison😳 (for real, what would be the point?)  though from a Wikipedia check, it looks like the UW two-year schools have recently gotten saddled with UW-City-Other City and UW-City-County names (ex. UW Green Bay-Marinette, UW Milwaukee-Waukesha, UW Whitewater-Rock County [amusingly nicknamed URock]).

 

Far as other state systems, I've noticed something: in some systems, like the U of California, all the schools either use similar colors or share a main color with the flagship school while having a different secondary color.  In others, like the UW system (mostly because until the 70s, there'd been two systems like in California), I can only think of two UW schools who have the same color scheme (Milwaukee and Oshkosh both wear black and gold, but don't play each other due to UWM being D1 and Oshkosh being D3).  Hell, the only two who even have red at all are River Falls (main) and Green Bay (secondary).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.