What are your thoughts on Paul Rand's unused Ford logo?

Ark

What do you think of this logo?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I think it's gorgeous, timeless, and much more smooth than the current one. Beautiful.

Timeless is the perfect definition here. This is something that looks at home on either a 60's concept car, or something they produce today. 

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

My goodness the internet has ruined me. That dot on the “r” resembling the head of a stick figure using the rest of the “r” and the open “o” as a body creates an unfortunate secondary picture there that I’m just not going to describe any further.

it’s very sleek and does try to update the current signature one, but personally it feels really dated and had they ever changed to it, I feel like they would’ve returned to the Classic signature during any of the retro revivals we’ve had.

3 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

My goodness the internet has ruined me. That dot on the “r” resembling the head of a stick figure using the rest of the “r” and the open “o” as a body creates an unfortunate secondary picture there that I’m just not going to describe any further.

I can't believe you've done this...

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Timeless is not the right word for this design. It looks like it’s stuck in the 60’s. It’s got neon-signage vibes. Those might always be popular, but they definitely are reminiscent of the 50’s and 60’s...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

It is a very well-crafted logo.  But it is not right for the Ford brand.  The current Ford logo is timeless, spanning about a century.  It fits the company perfectly.  Whereas, this one has a neon-like aesthetic, one that clashes with the company's stately identity.

Edit:  Ah, I now see that the previous commenter mentioned the neon look, as well.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

It's less readable than the current logo, and the change from an oval to a pill shape makes them look more like a pharmaceutical company than a car company. Ford made the right decision by turning this down.

Oddly enough, I don't think it looks dated, though. This logo would fit in perfectly with modern corporate branding, where everyone wants that Jony Ive "flat" aesthetic, even if it ends up being less functional or appealing than the old ways. Just look at Kia's new logo.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Paul Rand did great work but he missed big on this one. I think the difference is that it's a person's name, not a letter or an initialism (the Westinghouse W, ABC, IBM), or brand. Those lend themselves to visual abstraction quite a bit better because they are themselves abstractions. Minimalistic treatment of Henry Ford's name falls into the uncanny valley.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/15/2021 at 12:26 AM, Pharos04 said:

On 1/15/2021 at 12:30 AM, packerfan21396 said:

I can't believe you've done this...

I'll go a bit more PG on it, the "o" and the "r", combined with the colour, look like the wheelchair symbol person fell over forwards.

il_570xN.916308950_eyx3.jpg

IbjBaeE.png

On 1/15/2021 at 1:26 AM, Pharos04 said:

damn shawty, ok!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/15/2021 at 2:26 AM, Pharos04 said:

it’s very sleek and does try to update the current signature one, but personally it feels really dated and had they ever changed to it, I feel like they would’ve returned to the Classic signature during any of the retro revivals we’ve had.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

Archived