DC Metro Redesigned

washingtonspride

A new logo I designed for the Washington DC Metrorail System. I took inspiration from this old thread I found while looking at raysox's sports work, and realized that my beloved home city's subway system needed some color to the logo, so this is what i came up with in photoshop.

spacer.png

c&c is always welcome and appreciated, if you want to see more than tell me, there is more from where this came from.

12 minutes ago, Ark said:

I like it but the grey just looks like it's missing a color. Maybe add purple instead?

Also I think it would look better if it was wider and had more of a gem shape, but I'm not sure.

I left the silver there for the Silver Line, and I don't have an official color code for the MTA's light rail Purple Line which will connect to multiple metro stations.

As for addressing your criticisms, I formed it into a diamond shape (I think that's what you meant by gem, right?) and added an official WMATA purple to the lines.

spacer.png

c&c is always welcome and appreciated

10 minutes ago, Ark said:

I meant purple replacing the grey (not a huge fan of the grey but that's on you).

I love that gem shape but I think the focus is taken away from M metro as opposed to. the first logo, which is not good.

The silver can't go due to it being a line in the metro system, as for emphasizing the M and the metro, there's not much i can do for that, i scaled down the line colors, and made the M and the metro bigger in this version.

spacer.png

c&c is always welcome and appreciated

-Edit- I just noticed the M mark from where I moved it to while resizing the line colors, sorry for that!

What is the significance of the downward triangle? Is it because most of the system is subterranean? How would this conflict with any wayfinding? 

I know from having ridden the Metro (bing-bong-bing-bong STEP!BACK!doorsclosing) that they write out RD for "Red" on their existing signage, but it struck me as...dumb? Why abbreviate a three-letter word by one letter?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

30 minutes ago, the admiral said:

What is the significance of the downward triangle? Is it because most of the system is subterranean? How would this conflict with any wayfinding? 

I know from having ridden the Metro (bing-bong-bing-bong STEP!BACK!doorsclosing) that they write out RD for "Red" on their existing signage, but it struck me as...dumb? Why abbreviate a three-letter word by one letter?

The downward triangle has significance in the exact way you guessed, that most of the system is underground, and can be flipped accordingly on the map for an above ground station. The metro already uses terminus names to determine the path you are going towards (example: the station I frequently use, Forest Glen Station, has two platforms separated by which way you wish to go) so wayfinding wouldn't be much of an issue and the map would make sure to indicate very clearly which means up, or down.(given that the map would work this way, because I'm not very confident that that system would be very efficient but it's the main idea.) The plan is to mesh with current metro branding, and keep the brand consistent and familiar with longtime commuters of the metro, and the line iconography is all consistent with two letters (BL, SV, YL, GR, and so on) so its crucial that we keep the iconography consistent so people can recognize it.

22 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

The point of the triangle is for it to be interchangeable, with any line color being able to replace the red, and also being able to flip the triangle for a station that's above ground. If there are any other shapes you'd like me to try with it, please suggest some.

Anyways, onto the next line, the blue line.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The color of the downward triangle was also interchangeable in concentration camps, according to the the type of prisoner, the red and pink ones are still used to remember the deceased. Literally any  other shape or a triangle in a different direction would be preferable. I’d suggest not ending the sides on a point, instead making it resemble the trapezoid at the top

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• 2 weeks later...

It confirms my belief that any DC statehood should involve wrangling Arlington County and Alexandria back for the sake of symmetry and not literally just being one city.

But I do like the 45-degree text. It feels fun and dynamic.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the incorporation of the geographical shape. But I think there should be an outline in the line colour around the entirety of the shape.

Also, there is no need for the line's colour name, given that the colour itself is so prominent.

If the line's name is included as a form of accommodation to colour blind people, then that word should be much smaller than the station's name.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 2/1/2021 at 3:30 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I like the incorporation of the geographical shape. But I think there should be an outline in the line colour around the entirety of the shape.

Also, there is no need for the line's colour name, given that the colour itself is so prominent.

If the line's name is included as a form of accommodation to colour blind people, then that word should be much smaller than the station's name.

Here's one based off of your criticisms, I'm not a huge fan myself, but let me know what you guys think!

vwSMfK4.png 

Archived