Houston Astros old colors/new palettes redux

washingtonspride

I've always liked the Houston Astros brick & sand logos and colors, and so I decided to whip something up really quick to make them look better.

I decided on a vest and undershirt combo because I think it works well with the railroad colors.

HOME

spacer.png

AWAY

spacer.png

ALTERNATE

spacer.png

c&c is always appreciated and I love to read y'all's comments.

Gotta ask...why is the road set paired with a white cap?  Given that you literally use no other white here, it doesn't make much sense to me here.

And on the alternate, the star gets lost here, given that the outlines aren't as thick as those of the Angels' similar alt. 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

25 minutes ago, Discrim said:

Gotta ask...why is the road set paired with a white cap?  Given that you literally use no other white here, it doesn't make much sense to me here.

And on the alternate, the star gets lost here, given that the outlines aren't as thick as those of the Angels' similar alt. 

I changed the core color of the star on the alternate

spacer.png

As for the away, I changed the gray hat and I do find it to be better than what I originally had, thanks Discrim!

spacer.png

I actually like this color scheme, unfortunately it's not quite as good as the navy/orange alternative for Houston, so going away from it was probably a decent move. I don't love the vest style though, or even the pinstripes necessarily. The sand uniform is obviously quite unique, so I think you can let that color speak for itself. The sand hat with the brick brim is great though. Would buy.

On 1/24/2021 at 10:32 AM, Hawkeye15 said:

I actually like this color scheme, unfortunately it's not quite as good as the navy/orange alternative for Houston, so going away from it was probably a decent move. I don't love the vest style though, or even the pinstripes necessarily. The sand uniform is obviously quite unique, so I think you can let that color speak for itself. The sand hat with the brick brim is great though. Would buy.

Here's two versions of the sand uniform, one has pinstripes and one doesn't. I tried it without a vest style this time.

HMcKqVH.png

G4uF9un.png

Let me know how you feel about these.

The characterization of Houston as a dusty, tumbleweedy Wild West outpost never made any sense. It's a swamp. Your execution is good, you're just working off an all-time faulty premise.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The characterization of Houston as a dusty, tumbleweedy Wild West outpost never made any sense. It's a swamp. Your execution is good, you're just working off an all-time faulty premise.

Maybe I make this a Houston Astros Remake/Revamp thread. I do want to do the old 1994-1999 logo too.

Ironically, I think the brick/sand combo would be great for a team like the Diamondbacks or even if the Padres didn't have brown and yellow. I feel like a definite desert city could handle it better than a top five populous city, as Admiral pointed out. 

Thing is, the pin-stripe brick vest set looks too muddled with the stripes and the sleeves. If the stripes were gone and the pants were sand instead, I think that could be more boradly appreciated. 

The sand set without the stripes has some potential, as I felt the script in that set was always nice, though I'd go brick hat since going brick pants clashes more to my eye than a full sand jersey and pants look.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

51 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

Ironically, I think the brick/sand combo would be great for a team like the Diamondbacks or even if the Padres didn't have brown and yellow. I feel like a definite desert city could handle it better than a top five populous city, as Admiral pointed out. 

Thing is, the pin-stripe brick vest set looks too muddled with the stripes and the sleeves. If the stripes were gone and the pants were sand instead, I think that could be more boradly appreciated. 

The sand set without the stripes has some potential, as I felt the script in that set was always nice, though I'd go brick hat since going brick pants clashes more to my eye than a full sand jersey and pants look.

Better?

dWb1aFq.png

I'd be curious to see how the name and number would look with a black outline, but I think this set is more balanced and sharp looking. I'm torn on if the brim of the hat should be red or keep with the alternating pattern. Good work!

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• washingtonspride changed the title to Houston Astros old colors/new palettes redux
On 2/2/2021 at 4:07 PM, Alex Houston said:

I'd be curious to see how the name and number would look with a black outline, but I think this set is more balanced and sharp looking. I'm torn on if the brim of the hat should be red or keep with the alternating pattern. Good work!

Here ya go, not really my cup of tea but tell me what you think!

SIFak6C.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived