International (NATIONAL TEAMS) Soccer/Football Kits 2021/2022 (World Cup, etc)

andregunts

14 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

New story on The Athletic about independent USMNT kit designs. 

And the kits the article is mainly about.

Nike might be forced to bring back the Waldo's in 2026 with all the clamoring for them and the outcry over this year's kits.

I'd expect the 2026 kits to mimic 1994 out of nostalgia alone.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, Digby said:

Lest we forget the other kit in 94 was red and white stripes, so they could certainly do both. Good time to do it.

And Canada should have a bespoke kit as well. They probably lucked out compared to the USA uniforms this year. 

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

I really don't like the 1994 denim shirt but if it is paired with a Waldo shirt in 2026, I am good with that.

I actually liked both of those kits, but I liked the denim a bit more because it stood out just that much compared to other adidas designs in that tournament. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I still think the USMNT should go vertical stripes a la Atlético or Chivas. But anything would be an upgrade over the current uninspired trash. 

• Like 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

10 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

I still think the USMNT should go vertical stripes a la Atlético or Chivas. But anything would be an upgrade over the current uninspired trash. 

I saw the WC kits in person for the first time, arguably worse in person. Just complete and total garbage.

I'll be more interested if the USWNT gets new kits for the 2023 Womens World Cup. Considering it happens about 7.5 - 8 months after this coming one, it'll be interesting to see if they get an exclusive kit for that or if they roll over the '22 set. Same for the teams that are Nike sponsored who made the Men's Cup.

On 2022-09-30 at 2:45 PM, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-63084459

Algeria and Morocco are arguing over this shirt. Adidas said it's based on a palace in Algeria and Morocco is calling BS on it. 

New Algerian football top

Algeria jerseys

Zellige tile work, Morocco

Moroccan tilework

Palace El Mechouar Tlemcen Algeria High-Res Stock Photo - Getty Images

Mechour Palace (Algeria)

It's a Zellij Pattern, which has it's origins in what is now Northeastern Algeria, Tunisia and Northwestern Libya, but it became most popular in Morocco and is most commonly found there, as it fell out of favour everywhere else.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WBeltz said:

I'll be more interested if the USWNT gets new kits for the 2023 Womens World Cup. Considering it happens about 7.5 - 8 months after this coming one, it'll be interesting to see if they get an exclusive kit for that or if they roll over the '22 set. Same for the teams that are Nike sponsored who made the Men's Cup.

Nike has been rotating out the away kit, by releasing a "third kit" every other year. I'd still expect them to get something. The European teams got new kits this year, but that was more due to the Euros being delayed a year. I hope that doesn't mean they keep the men's kits instead of their own next year, for UEFA teams and the USA. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/8/2022 at 10:50 PM, SCL said:

I saw the WC kits in person for the first time, arguably worse in person. Just complete and total garbage.

I'll 2nd this motion. The Dick's by my condo finally got some in and good lord, they look bad. Not just design wise but they look and feel cheap in person. It felt like one of those sweat-wicking athletic shirts you buy at Costco that aren't actually sweat wicking. And they were see through thin. 

Very disappointing all around. Especially when they're sitting next to the Nike made France and all the Adidas kits for the WC. 

L

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, M4One said:

That leaves Canada as the last team to reveal theirs, right?  So excited.  On pins and needles.  

Reveal hidden contents

Don't forget corrupt! They're corrupt as hell too!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Don't forget corrupt! They're corrupt as hell too!

We can't leave Nike out of this either. They didn't think Canada would actually qualify so they didn't bother planning a new kit for them. I know the players are pissed as they have been covering the Nike logo on their kits.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:10 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

We can't leave Nike out of this either. They didn't think Canada would actually qualify so they didn't bother planning a new kit for them. I know the players are pissed as they have been covering the Nike logo on their kits.

If CSA didn't bother to consider moving up the timeline, Nike wasn't going to bother with doing it either. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I previously mentioned Germany has an alternate white short to go with their white shirt. It has black adidas stripes, gold logos, and the flag stripe on the back of the leg, all of which are just like the shirt.

spacer.png

This is in addition to their standard home and away shorts.

Primary home has white stripes, gold logos, and the flag design on the back.

spacer.png

Away has gold stripes and logos, plus a solid red stripe on the back of the leg to match the away kit (as opposed to the flag stripe on the primary kit).

spacer.png

Unknown until now is that there is apparently a fourth short option to go with the away kit. You’ll notice it looks quite similar to the white shorts above with the gold logos, but the adidas stripes are gold and it has a solid red stripe on the back of the leg. This was found on the DFB Fan Shop. You can’t find it from adidas or other major vendors.

spacer.png

I appreciate this attention to detail to ensure things match. It prevents situations like this when Germany had to wear the home kit shorts with the away kit. Notice the gold stripes on the shirt and the white stripes on the shorts (also the outline color on the crest is different).

spacer.png

However, it’s all too much. Both kits share the same color palette. You can’t tell me they couldn’t have streamlined this to have  one black short and one white short that goes with either design. The black shorts with gold stripes could go with either shirt as both feature gold heavily. They would just have to unify the flag stripe or red stripe on both kits. Ditto for the white shorts. The ones with the black adidas stripes would match perfectly well with the black and red shirt.

Couple US notes:

Whoever prints the player numbers needs some help because they are pressed much lower than usual and sometimes off center (see Weston McKennie).

Hopefully these are just for media purposes and the match kits look better. For comparison, when the team debuted the white and blue kits, the numbers were higher and looked more consistent.

spacer.png

I am curious how the US will handle the sleeve patches. Normally that wouldn’t be a problem, but with the stripe, they’ll need to put the patch on top of the stripe or above it. I’m not sure there’s enough room to place them above the stripe without going onto the shoulder, though that would definitely look better. Speaking of patches, there are patches for both dark and light shirts. I believe this is a first for the World Cup.

spacer.png

Speaking of the blue kits, I’ve noticed that the men’s socks are tie dyed, while the women’s are plain.

spacer.png

spacer.png

———

Germany debuted their away kit in a friendly the other day (in the standard away shorts if you’re keeping track!).

spacer.png

spacer.png

Germany has sent their youth teams to the pitch in a mix of shorts styles (see both gold and white striped black shorts here), so it will be interesting to see if a kit mix up makes it to the big stage in Qatar.

———

Does anyone know where to see the kit assignments for each match? Apparently the info is available somewhere because someone found all of Uruguay’s match kits.