St. Louis Browns - The Future that Never Was

BayBaseballFan

After I posted last week about the St. Louis Browns and their design overhaul in the late 1930's, this was the inevitable outcome. It all started by trying to recreate the diamond "B" design in that 1937 photo. That gradually turned into what the team would have looked like if they had stayed in St. Louis a little longer. I wanted to stick with a more traditional feel, so the early 60's made sense. After the diamond badge was done, I settled on the wordmark. The font gives it a sort of light-hearted feel without the impish elf.

The dramatic drop shadow is meant to evoke the Browns' look from the early 40's (and in my humble opinion the best colored headspoon of all time). Some teams use birds on a bat. Others have white cleats. In my mind, that multi-colored button placket is the franchise's signature element. It made sense to me it would be retained to some degree through the generations. The monogram on the chest of the road jersey is a subtle shout-out to my hometown Giants' road jerseys of the 80's. And then there's the hats. The home version is a nod to the team's caps of the late 30's with the seam piping. The road cap is a more direct connection to one of the team's final caps before they flew to Baltimore. All in all, some modernized touches to the Browns' identity. As always, comments and critiques are appreciated. Thanks for taking a glance.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Browns References

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Archived