Sign in to follow this  
B-Rich

2020: NFL Season: Super Bowl LV

Figured it was time to start a separate topic like we've done in previous years, so here we go.

I'll start with this year's meal menu. Half of it will be the same as last year's meal, obviously (the half on the left): 

spacer.png

That's KC-style burnt ends and brisket barbecue, with Bess Truman's Ice Box Pie (no, Red Comet, not gonna do Russell Stover chocolates); which I will do again this year (right side from last year was San Francisco cioppino, sourdough bread and Ghirardelli chocolates).

Many years back when the Bucs played the Raiders in the Super Bowl, I did grilled gulf shrimp for Tampa Bay.  But this year I'm going to go with something a little less generic and much more Tampa-specific, deviled crab, which are actually neat crab croquettes (not crab cakes) and in an appropriate irony, they are usually made and shaped like little footballs:

spacer.png

Still not sure what I'm going to make as a 'Tampa Bay' dessert.  Maybe something with orange, like this Florida orange cake:
spacer.png

Football-wise, it should be a good game.  Don't think I'll be pulling for anyone.  Normally, I'd be pulling for Tampa Bay, as I have liked the Buccaneers since their inception (probably my second favorite team after the Saints); even had a Mike Alstott jersey back in the day, but I really don't like Brady, Gronk, Suh, Antonio Brown and Mike Evans. 

1 hour ago, rainmaker17 said:

Great idea, but it’s Super Bowl LV.

D'Oh!!! I knew that!   

FIXED.

The four “local delicacies” I associate most with TB are grouper sandwich, Cuban sandwich, stone crab claws (the worst crab), or smoked fish dip. I don’t really know of a good hyper local dessert. I’d probably go with Key Lime pie, though I’d say that’s more of a Key West thing. 

As a Chiefs fans I'm sweating this one even more than last year's. The 49ers controlled the first three quarters by stifling Mahomes with a strong defensive line and competent QB play. The Bucs have an even better DL that's going up against a KC o-line full of backups, and have the greatest QB to ever play the game. KC has a better defense than last year, and once their offense gets rolling they're just about impossible to stop, but if they can't force any turnovers and start slow, it's gonna be rough.

My biggest fear is that we're looking at a redux of when Seattle was going for a repeat

@B-Rich Being in Tampa, I'd say your safe with Cuban sandwiches (make sure they have salami for a true Tampa version).  Key lime pie is a quick go to, but for the authentic try something like guava turnovers.

>No Russel Stover

>But a dessert made by the wife of one of America's Greatest Presidents

These terms are acceptable. Also very delicious. Also, nice to see I'm not the only Chiefs fan here.

Although if they win again, I think there will be a lot more. And they'd probably be very annoying too. Hey, I stuck by this team in the Pioli/Haley era. Also born and raised in KC. So, I think I deserve to enjoy this.

Edited by Red Comet
Spoilering rant

On 1/27/2021 at 1:29 AM, ManillaToad said:

As a Chiefs fans I'm sweating this one even more than last year's. The 49ers controlled the first three quarters by stifling Mahomes with a strong defensive line and competent QB play. The Bucs have an even better DL that's going up against a KC o-line full of backups, and have the greatest QB to ever play the game. KC has a better defense than last year, and once their offense gets rolling they're just about impossible to stop, but if they can't force any turnovers and start slow, it's gonna be rough.

My biggest fear is that we're looking at a redux of when Seattle was going for a repeat

Interesting breakdown thats why i was kind of thinking 6 thrown TD's and then maybe 1 DEF TD each and the odd one run in. Expect the score to be in the 30s for both. sound ridiculous?

As a lifelong Chiefs fan/hipster, I feel like I need to dispel a myth that I keep seeing more and more lately at home (and to a somewhat lesser extent) nationwide: That the Kansas City Chiefs are unbeatable and that Tom Brady's Super Bowl Magic is the only reason the Bucs can win. First off, John Gruden managed to do it this year. And second, that is not true at all. In fact, here is how the Bucs can rip the belt off the Defending Champions (Goddamn, those last two words feel good to say, ngl) in all three phases of the game. I'm hardly an expert on the Bucs, so I'd like to hear from someone who is on how they'd be able to matchup in these phases of the game and what strategies/schemes they tend to use. 

Offense:

• Prioritize scoring touchdowns over any other kind of scoring unless it's 4th and >5 yds. Do NOT under any circumstances bring out anyone who kicks the ball. There's a chance you would lose if you do go for it, but playing conservative against a team with the offense of the Chiefs is a near guarantee of defeat. 
  • Run the ball. While the Chiefs run defense is improving as of late, it is still a weak point of the team, especially compared to their fantastic passing defense. The other effect is obviously controlling the game clock and thus the tempo of the game. The fewer possessions for Mahomes, the less time he has to warm up as the Chiefs offense does take time to warm up. Not to mention the effect on the defense as they wind up exhausted by the 4th quarter. And finally, said gameplan takes pressure off of Tom Brady and no matter how good this 43 year old quarterback is, every time you have to rely on Brady, the clock winds up ticking closer to Midnight and you risk having a rotting pumpkin behind center. 
  • Ball security. Not only are the Chiefs opportunistic on defense, turning the ball over just gives the Big Red and Gold Machine that is the Chiefs offense more possessions. Don't do that. 

Defense:

• The Chiefs are going into this game with a patchwork offensive line. Backups, rookies and castoffs from other teams are what is protecting Patrick Mahomes right now. And with Eric Fisher out, that situation has only gotten worse. As much of a devastating weapon as Patrick Mahomes is on the move, his game will still be affected if he gets hit quite a bit. He is battling turf toe right now so his mobility will be impacted. And like I said, he's behind a weak offensive line. Get pressure on him and he won't have the time to find a receiver as he pulls some Houdini crap. Putting pressure on Mahomes also increases the odds he throws an interception like it does for any other quarterback. Remember, he is human. I don't know if I have to tell myself/fellow Chiefs fans that or everyone else. Probably both. 
  • Pick your poison on Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill. Accept that one of these two is going to get 100+ yds and at least 1 TD. No, you are not going to contain both receivers at the same time and doing so WILL end in failure. This depends on the composition of the Bucs defense on any given possession/package. Again, I don't really know much on the Bucs, so someone who does will be able to know better on what kind of schemes/players the Bucs use and would know if they are more physical defenders/schemes (focus on Kelce) or if they focus on containing speed/spread (focus on Hill) in their pass defense. There is also the potential for Demarcus Robinson or Sammie Watkins to show up if you do succeed in containing either Hill or Kelce so do not sleep on them either.
  • The Chiefs running game is mediocre. I kind of feel like I have to introduce you to these players because the passing attack gets so much attention. They have an RB-by-committee set up between rookie Clyde Edwards-Helaire who has shown sparks of promise and may play a greater role in the future, Darrell Williams who is the workhorse of the RB trio and LeVeon Bell who has been great in spots but isn't used much. I suspect he will be gone after his this year as he is a nice gadget player but nearing the end of his useful life as a RB if history is any indication. As far as stopping them, pressure, pressure, pressure. Do not give Edwards-Helaire or Bell time to find a hole. As far as fumbling concerns, none of the RBs have concerns with ball security so I would prioritize shutting down the attack over pursuing turnovers. This is about the only area I would recommend going conservative on for the Bucs in this game.  

Special Teams: 

• Mecole Hardman has been both fantastic and suspect in special teams. He has been able to rip off fantastic plays on offense and special teams and muffs punts a lot more often than anyone should feel comfortable with. Go aggressive on him and there's a decent chance he'll either drop the punt or get hit hard enough to lose control of the football. 
  • Harrison Butker has had an issue with missing extra points this year. This is another reason why I push going aggressive in all three phases of the game so hard. If you match the Chiefs TD for TD, there's a chance you can pull ahead due to his aforementioned issues. 

I'm not going to make any prediction on how the game will go, but I will say that the line being at -3.5 in favor of the Chiefs is a very good estimate. This should be a matchup for the ages. Last team with the ball wins. 

13 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Have the Chiefs used Hill as a punt returner at all?

With how bad TB special teams is, I have a feeling they might use him in a few cases. 

No. That was more of a 2016 thing. If Hardman doesn't hold on tight to the football when fielding returns? It's a possibility. 

Is anyone saying the Chiefs are "unbeatable"?  Any team coached by Andy Reid is beatable - usually by Andy Reid.

38 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Is anyone saying the Chiefs are "unbeatable"?  Any team coached by Andy Reid is beatable - usually by Andy Reid.

Quite a few people are. I think they're way too optimistic, but it is a sentiment I've noticed. A lot of people I've talked to here and elsewhere tend to use when the Chiefs win rather than if. Arrogant (and wrong), but I see why they'd come to that conclusion based on what I've seen all year. Also, on an actual neutral site, the Chiefs would be favored by a TD considering the 3 point nudge a home team gets on the line. 

7 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Quite a few people are. I think they're way too optimistic, but it is a sentiment I've noticed. A lot of people I've talked to here and elsewhere tend to use when the Chiefs win rather than if. Arrogant (and wrong), but I see why they'd come to that conclusion based on what I've seen all year. Also, on an actual neutral site, the Chiefs would be favored by a TD considering the 3 point nudge a home team gets on the line. 

I don't know anything about lines, but while the Chiefs are and deserve to be favored, their victory is far from a foregone conclusion.  Based on how Mahomes played last year, plus the Andy Reid factor, plus the Tom Brady big-game factor, and I'd say it's no more than 60/40 in favor of KC.

That post was less about the opinion that the Chiefs are unbeatable (which, again, I don't agree with but I've seen it out there more often than I'd like. 60-40 odds sound about right) and more about how the Bucs or really any team can beat them. 

Any individual coaching decisions and any potential bad calls (which IMO the latter is usually a copout for fans of teams that didn't execute but not always) are an outside context problem as far as I'm concerned in that post hence why I didn't talk about it. Coaching would play a factor in more of a scheming/roster sense in what I had said. 

Edited by Red Comet

7 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I still don't understand how The Raiders of all teams were the only ones to actually beat Mahomes all season. 

They got ahead early, made Mahomes turn the ball over and didn't let up. It's how teams have beaten Mahomes in the past. Now why the same team that got shelled 63-3 to the Falcons (who are the anti-Chiefs in that they blow huge leads rather than come back from them) beat the Chiefs? No idea.

Edited by Red Comet

Anyone else think it would’ve been very appropriate to have Super Bowl LV in Las Vegas?

Please don’t ban me.

2 hours ago, McCall said:

Anyone else think it would’ve been very appropriate to have Super Bowl LV in Las Vegas?

Please don’t ban me.

That kind of genius branding would have been far too smart for the NFL.  

4 hours ago, McCall said:

Please don’t ban me.

The NFL doesn’t schedule Super Bowls for the first year a stadium is suppose to be open in case there are delays like LA’s