2020: NFL Season: Super Bowl LV

B-Rich

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well maybe we can get Super Bowl Las Vegas 3 in 2024.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, dont care said:

The NFL doesn’t schedule Super Bowls for the first year a stadium is suppose to be open in case there are delays like LA’s

Well, this Super Bowl actually originally was for Los Angeles and their new stadium. It was reassigned to Tampa, the runner-up in the original voting process, because it was determined the stadium would open a year later than expected.

EDIT - wait a second, I'm sorry, this doesn't disprove your point. I was forgetting that the Rams stadium, by virtue of being originally scheduled to open in 2019 instead of 2020, would've meant that this year would've been the stadium's second year when it was scheduled to host the Super Bowl. 

spacer.png

20 hours ago, dont care said:

The NFL doesn’t schedule Super Bowls for the first year a stadium is suppose to be open in case there are delays like LA’s

This literally happened for Super Bowl IX in January 1975.  The game was awarded to New Orleans in 1973, with the expectation that the Superdome would be open by then.   Because of construction delays, the Superdome was NOT ready by then, and the game was moved to Tulane Stadium (which had already been the host of two previous Super Bowls, IV in 1970 and VI in 1972). 

Fun facts:

• That game was the last professional football game played in Tulane Stadium.
  • The 1975 novel Black Sunday by Thomas Harris (more famous as the creator of Hannibal Lecter) takes place at the same time as this Super Bowl, and mentions the Goodyear (changed to Aldrich in the novel) blimp flying over the as-yet completed Superdome on its way to open-air Tulane Stadium.   A big-screen, star-studded movie version was filmed and released a couple of years later, with the locale changed from New Orleans to Miami:
  • spacer.png

It is what it is.

2 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

This literally happened for Super Bowl IX in January 1975.  The game was awarded to New Orleans in 1973, with the expectation that the Superdome would be open by then.   Because of construction delays, the Superdome was NOT ready by then, and the game was moved to Tulane Stadium (which had already been the host of two previous Super Bowls, IV in 1970 and VI in 1972). 

Fun facts:

• That game was the last professional football game played in Tulane Stadium.
  • The 1975 novel Black Sunday by Thomas Harris (more famous as the creator of Hannibal Lecter) takes place at the same time as this Super Bowl, and mentions the Goodyear (changed to Aldrich in the novel) blimp flying over the as-yet completed Superdome on its way to open-air Tulane Stadium.   A big-screen, star-studded movie version was filmed and released a couple of years later, with the locale changed from New Orleans to Miami:
  • spacer.png

So this probably made the NFL learn from their mistake and change their process to having no super bowls within the first year they open in case they have issues like so.

With the Bucs being the road team, are they changing in the visitors locker room?  They're bench is on the visiting side, so is there any chance that being in their home stadium could be a slight disadvantage since they're used to a certain routine there and they're going to be using the other side of things?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, Red Comet said:

The Bucs are the home team, they chose to wear white for this Super Bowl due to being on the road for all three games of their postseason run. This is occuring despite them wearing red for the first game against the Pigskins.

Oops.  The jersey threw me off.  Usually the home team's bench is on the side of the field facing the camera.  In the field thread, it looks like that side is going to be KC's.  Maybe not every team does it that way.

This is year is also special considering they're placing a lot more cameras in the stadium what with the reduced capacity and all. So, it would've had this set-up regardless of who made it to the final game or what stadium this year's Super Bowl would wind up in. 

On 1/30/2021 at 7:34 PM, Red Comet said:

As a lifelong Chiefs fan/hipster, I feel like I need to dispel a myth that I keep seeing more and more lately at home (and to a somewhat lesser extent) nationwide: That the Kansas City Chiefs are unbeatable and that Tom Brady's Super Bowl Magic is the only reason the Bucs can win. First off, John Gruden managed to do it this year. And second, that is not true at all. In fact, here is how the Bucs can rip the belt off the Defending Champions (Goddamn, those last two words feel good to say, ngl) in all three phases of the game. I'm hardly an expert on the Bucs, so I'd like to hear from someone who is on how they'd be able to matchup in these phases of the game and what strategies/schemes they tend to use. 

Only Tom Brady can have his teammates overcome his mistakes to win one game only to have people say he is the only reason they can win their next game.  I think Chiefs will win but people are really sleeping on how much talent the Bucs have.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, See Red said:

Only Tom Brady can have his teammates overcome his mistakes to win one game only to have people say he is the only reason they can win their next game.  I think Chiefs will win but people are really sleeping on how much talent the Bucs have.

Yeah, tends to happen when a perennial champion goes to a team that hasn't been in the playoffs since the Younger Bush Administration and takes them to the Super Bowl. The Bucs definitely have and have had talent but they could never get it all together until this year. And then the Chiefs have relatively low-key been the best team in the NFL since 2015. I think people are underestimating the Bucs at their peril but I see why they are.

51 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Yeah, tends to happen when a perennial champion goes to a team that hasn't been in the playoffs since the Younger Bush Administration and takes them to the Super Bowl. The Bucs definitely have and have had talent but they could never get it all together until this year. And then the Chiefs have relatively low-key been the best team in the NFL since 2015. I think people are underestimating the Bucs at their peril but I see why they are.

Because they're kind of a forgotten franchise given their playoff drought, but the team wasn't devoid of talent.  "They were bad last year and they're good this year" is pretty lazy analysis.  I'm not a Bucs fan but follow the team since I live locally -- they were a QB-not-named-Jameis-Winston and consistent kicker away from maybe making the playoffs in 2019.  If Jameis doesn't piss away games against Houston (four Int, one of them a pick-six in a 3 pt loss), Carolina (5 Int), and Atlanta (walk-off pick six) and Matt Gay doesn't miss a chip-shot game-winner against the Giants, they're a ten or eleven win team in 2019.  They were the best run defense in the league last season by a mile, one of the best total defenses in the second half of the season, and were stacked at WR.  Their primary issue was a QB committing 30+ turnovers.

IUe6Hvh.png

10 minutes ago, See Red said:

Because they're kind of a forgotten franchise given their playoff drought, but the team wasn't devoid of talent.  Lazy analysis is lazy analysis.  I'm not a Bucs fan but follow the team since I live locally -- they were a QB-not-named-Jameis-Winston and consistent kicker away from maybe making the playoffs in 2019.  If Jameis doesn't piss away games against Houston (four Int, one of them a pick-six in a 3 pt loss), Carolina (5 Int), and Atlanta (walk-off pick six) and Matt Gay doesn't miss a chip-shot game-winner against the Giants, they're a ten or eleven win team in 2019.

Are you saying my analysis is lazy or are you saying the general analysis is lazy? If it's the former, then here is what I said in bold. If it's the latter, then disregard this reply.

51 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

11 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Are you saying my analysis is lazy or are you saying the general analysis is lazy? If it's the former, then here is what I said in bold. If it's the latter, then disregard this reply.

My mistake if I wasn't clear... at no point was I criticizing you.  I quoted you initially because you mentioned people saying Tom Brady is the only chance the Bucs have, which I think is an absurd take given they just won the NFC Championship game despite Tom Brady.  I was actually agreeing with you that the Bucs have a very real chance of winning for reasons beyond just "Tom Brady in a big game".

IUe6Hvh.png

10 minutes ago, See Red said:

My mistake if I wasn't clear... at no point was I criticizing you.  I quoted you initially because you mentioned people saying Tom Brady is the only chance the Bucs have, which I think is an absurd take given they just won the NFC Championship game despite Tom Brady.  I was actually agreeing with you that the Bucs have a very real chance of winning for reasons beyond just "Tom Brady in a big game".

Oh no, my apologies. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. 

On 2/3/2021 at 5:13 AM, BBTV said:

Usually the home team's bench is on the side of the field facing the camera.  In the field thread, it looks like that side is going to be KC's.  Maybe not every team does it that way.

For most teams, the home bench is underneath the face of the logo and the visitor/away bench on top of the logo. A few teams are the reverse; the Browns, the two New York teams, the Cowboys, the Patriots, the Falcons, the Rams, and the London host teams.

I'm not sure how they do it for the Super Bowl.

Archived