NBA Reverse Retro Series

Why hello everyone! It has been years since I've been on the boards, but it's great to be back!

With my first topic back, I wanted to tackle a project I worked on for fun late last year. The NBA Reverse Retro Series.

After the NHL put out their Reverse Retro series of uniforms, I wondered what it might look like if the NBA did a similar thing. Now it is way harder to bring back a classic look for some teams because they never really left their classic look. 

The rules I set for this project were simple. Bring back a classic uniform from sometime in each team's history, but altered to fit their current colour scheme. Just like the NHL, team's could go back in their history, even wearing a jersey from a different city. Similar to what the Avalanche did with the Nordiques uniform.

To start, this is the teaser, with each team represented and the year which the uniform is based on. I found all the logos and examples of the original uniforms from right on this site, Sportslogos.net.

I will add, I won't be making any changes at this point, I finished this project about a month ago, but I wanted to share it here and see what people think of this idea.

C&C is appreciated!

spacer.png

I'll be going in order from the earliest year to the latest year based on the teaser. So without further ado...

Boston Celtics - 1946

Boston was one of those teams that hasn't really changed much. So making a new uniform concept for them was actually pretty tough. I do like having a black alternate for them though, and putting the classic logo from 1946 on the waistband was about all I could do.

Any C&C is appreciated!

spacer.png

Very excited for this project! I am however not the biggest fan of black being the primary for the Celtics. That being said I do think the uni would look sharper with the wordmark and numerals being green and white as an outline. Looking very much forward to the next and keep up the great work!

46 minutes ago, Tore said:

Very excited for this project! I am however not the biggest fan of black being the primary for the Celtics. That being said I do think the uni would look sharper with the wordmark and numerals being green and white as an outline. Looking very much forward to the next and keep up the great work!

I think that could work too! I also agree that black shouldn't necessarily be the primary, but I think it can work as an alternate that isn't worn as often. And definitely appreciate the comments! There are some really cool concepts in here that I'm excited to share. Just have to get past some of the more boring ones haha.

I didn't want to leave it today with a concept that wasn't all that exciting, so I'll post 2 more tonight I think.

Los Angeles Lakers - 1960

Maybe it all worked out that I would start posting this series today, and that posting this Lakers concept would fall on the one year anniversary of Kobe's passing. While it wasn't meant as a tribute to Kobe, it almost makes sense to share my Lakers concept today. 

So I didn't intend it to be a tribute to Kobe, but any black uniform that the Lakers could wear maybe should be to honour Black Mamba. This concept is very close (or identical) to the uniform that the Lakers are wearing this year, except it incorporates the current Lakers colours. I'm not the biggest fan of the script on the front, but the iconic Lakers colours just make this uniform work. (IMO way better than the blue version they're wearing this season)

spacer.png

Atlanta Hawks - 1970

The last concept I'll post tonight. Maybe I got lucky that the Hawks changed their colours to red and yellow, because I did not want to add their random lime green into this uniform. It's another classic, not very exciting, but works perfect I think. With a little bit of black added in for the numbers and workmark. Because the Hawks changed their look and based it off of their own classic branding, it maybe makes this reverse retro concept less special. But man I love it anyway.spacer.png

I really like what you've got so far! I see you've decided on the original Bobcats jerseys for the Hornets, which I think will look really good. Excited to see what's to come!

4 hours ago, QCS said:

I really like what you've got so far! I see you've decided on the original Bobcats jerseys for the Hornets, which I think will look really good. Excited to see what's to come!

Thanks! And you are seeing it right! That one turned out very well. Might be one of my favourites as well.

2 hours ago, jbird669 said:

I'm really digging this, especially the Hawks!

Thanks! I definitely lucked out with the Hawks, they have some great uniform history, and their switch to red and yellow is way better than attempting to add some lime green into the design.

We shall continue with the next concept. I think I'll try and post at least 1 a day, maybe 2.

Portland Trail Blazers - 1970

There are many teams in this series that I was wondering, what could I possibly do that would be different then has already been done? With most teams, having a more unique coloured uniform wasn't really an option. I can't guarantee that the Blazers have never worn a throwback like this one, but I think it's a pretty cool throwback. So old in fact that I couldn't find too many pictures of the uniform, which made it extra difficult to try and recreate that front logo. All in all, a pretty classic and timeless look for the Blazers. Except maybe the massive logo on the shorts, but gotta stay true to the original look for this series!

spacer.png

On to the next...

Golden State Warriors - 1971

Golden State has worn their fair share of retro uniforms and this year they introduced a throwback to the mid 2000's. I thought about making that concept with their current gold and blue colour scheme. I love their design from 1971. Very clean. I guess it really isn't much of a change, besides the shade of blue, but imagine this uniform on a modern style jersey, I think it looks much better. I also love how Golden State incorporates the number into the front logo. Might be my favourite aspect of basketball uniforms.

The good news is that none of my favourites have come up yet. There are some really cool designs coming up that I'm quite excited to share with you.

spacer.png

I'll post one more here before I hit the hay

Chicago Bulls - 1973

So what I know about the Bulls, from looking at their uniform history on SportsLogos.net, is that they have only worn a uniform with this script on it, on one uniform. Their road uniform from 1973-1985. I love the script style though. Keeping it a classic look for the Bulls, with the diamond shorts pattern. But that script, just completes the look for me. Obviously their logo history has never changed, nor their colours, so not a big fun change for a retro reverse. But i love it.

spacer.png

Time for some fun ones

Cleveland Cavaliers - 1974

I love the Cavaliers colour scheme. I think they may have black in their colours too, but I just stuck with the blue, red wine, and gold. Simply, this uniform is a navy blue version of the home and road uniform they wore from 1974-1981. I love a good stripe design, and this is one of the uniforms that works best, taking the retro style and incorporating the modern day colours.

spacer.png

One more for tonight.

San Antonio Spurs - 1976

Obviously, the ideal Spurs concept would be the fiesta style. Colourful, just awesome. But I tried to stick to my rules, of the current colour scheme, plus the Spurs are wearing the fiesta inspired uniforms this year too. I went with a uniform style that they have only worn as a road style, from 1976-1989. It's incredible simple, and reminds me a bit of the Dallas Stars new blackout uniform. Nothing wrong with a little bit of a different look for the Spurs though. Not much else to say about this one haha

The first half of these concepts might be less exciting than the second half. But there are big ones coming up!

spacer.png

Took a bit of a break, but we are moving on to the next..

Houston Rockets - 1976

I personally hate the logo from this era, but the uniforms are so clean. I do prefer their colours from 1976, the red and yellow, but especially since the Hawks switched their colours, maybe this makes the most sense. I've realized now I completely missed their uniforms from 1995, and that would've made a wild jersey. Maybe a bonus uniform I can add to the end of this series. I think my favourite aspect of this uniform is the dark grey and black being together. It's not something you'd often find, because of how close the shades are, but up close this uniform would look pretty sweet.

And as is with all the concepts, any C&C is appreciated :)

spacer.png

Houston looks pretty nice! I'm a big believer in red and yellow, but the modern colors are nice as well. All of these designs have been nice, I'm really just waiting for some of the more out-there ones (black and white tye-dye Nets?) and of course my Hornets.

21 hours ago, QCS said:

Houston looks pretty nice! I'm a big believer in red and yellow, but the modern colors are nice as well. All of these designs have been nice, I'm really just waiting for some of the more out-there ones (black and white tye-dye Nets?) and of course my Hornets.

Yeah, I never realized that most of the more exciting concepts come in the latter half if I go by the year I based them on. I guess it makes some sense though, the designs seem to get crazier and crazier these days. I will spoil, there's no tie dye for the Nets haha. But it is one of my favourites still.

Speaking of the Nets...

Brooklyn Nets - 1977

No tie dye here unfortunately. I didn't want to take that away from the uniform they are wearing this year. Instead, we are throwing it back to the New Jersey Nets in 1977. I gotta say, the Brooklyn Nets have the most boring logo and the most boring uniforms in the league. But this uniform style that the Nets wore back in New Jersey, just works. It's weird not seeing stars with the red, blue, and white, but I actually quite like it with the grey, white, and black. The 1977 logo is pretty subpar, but the uniforms make up for that.

spacer.png

The Nets look good! It's a nice jersey, my only complaint is that the gray is a little too dark, it might be tough to see the numbers. Other than that, it's pretty nice!