Games Where Both Teams Played In Their First Season With Uniform Change

As the title says. What are games in sports, whether professional or college, where both teams were in the first season of their uniform change or update? 

Here are things that don't count

- Teams playing in their inaugural season

- Switching between two jerseys/uniforms making one the primary and the other the alternate, where the uniforms were already there in previous years

- Items like shoes/cleats, socks, patches, and decals paying tribute to someone or something

- Uniforms appearing for one season that didn't return again

What does count

- Preseason games

- Alternate uniforms, and doesn't have to come in the same year as the primary ones

- Changes a team made to the uniform already existing

I'll start this thread off by doing one for NFL games from the present going back to the 1990s.

NFL games where both teams were in their first season under a uniform change.

Colts vs Browns

Patriots vs Chargers

Buccaneers vs Falcons (NFC South opponents)

Rams vs Buccaneers

Rams vs Washington Football Team

Browns vs Washington Football Team

Patriots vs Rams

Chargers vs Buccaneers

Falcons vs Chargers

Jaguars vs Titans (AFC South opponents)

Titans vs Dolphins

Bears (Chicago Bears orange updated from the 2005-2011 version) vs Dolphins 

49ers vs Rams (NFC West opponents)

Chargers vs Jaguars

Chargers vs Washington's former name (Had to wear normal helmet instead of the brown helmet from 2012 because of the one-helmet/shell rule instituted that year)

Chargers vs Dolphins

Dolphins vs Jaguars (Pre-season)

Seahawks vs Panthers

Chiefs vs Bills

Panthers vs Chiefs

Seahawks vs Bears

Seahawks vs Bills

Bears vs Jaguars

Seahawks vs Chiefs (Pre-season)

Lions vs 49ers

Jaguars vs 49ers

Cardinals vs Giants

Jaguars vs Colts (Week 7)

Eagles vs Washington's former name (NFC East opponents)

Rams vs Seahawks (NFC West opponents)

Colts vs Broncos

Colts vs Washington's former name

Ravens vs Giants (2001 Super Bowl and Pre-season)

Saints vs Titans (Pre-season

Saints vs Ravens

Browns vs Ravens, Browns vs Titans, and Ravens vs Titans (AFC Central opponents)

Packers vs Broncos (1998 Super Bowl)

Dolphins vs Buccaneers (Both Regular-season and Pre-season)

Cowboys vs Eagles (NFC East opponents)

Cardinals vs Eagles (Week 17)

Cowboys vs 49ers

Eagles vs 49ers

This is as far as I'll go. Feel free to add your own contributions and do the work for others.

Is this limited to jerseys and not counting if a team got an alt color of pants to wear with an existing jersey (like how the Eagles have had black jerseys for a while, but only wore them with white or green pants until making black ones for an all-black uniform)?

EDIT: turns out that wouldn't have counted anyway (I forgot the Seahawks updated in '12 not '14) but in general would that be valid?  Not talking about mixing and matching existing options (that would create a ton of bad results) but actual new pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Predators and Jets met in the preseason of 2011, and then again once in 2012, that same season, right after Winnipeg had moved from Atlanta, and the Preds had rebranded.

Chris+Mason+Winnipeg+Jets+v+Nashville+Pr

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Cardinals were not wearing new uniforms that season. They wouldn't switch back to the buttondown/belted uniforms until 1992.

D'OH

For some reason I had it in my mind that series was the Braves vs Twins.  Like... I was 100% certain about it.  I don't know how the hell I got that so screwed up, and I recall watching every game of it.

I guess I mixed up 1991 with 1987.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This would happen in pretty much every year in the NBA and NHL where there's more than one rebranding/uniform change, since each team plays the other at least twice.

In the MLB, it would happen any season within the AL and NL, since each team plays all other teams within the conference for at least two series. Less so for interleague matchups.

The NFL would be less common, unless it happens with multiple teams within a division, as team schedules are based by record, then a four-year divisional cycle.

MLS is frequent since with teams change at least one uniform set every season. Less if you're talking about more thorough rebranding.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

13 hours ago, johnnysama said:

- The first year for both the Mets famous racing stripes, and the Giants traditional, yet modern look. 1983.

While the Mets introduced the racing stripe on the home uniform in 1983, they had already begun using it in on the road uniform in 1982.

Dave-Kingman-27.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

brian-grant-of-the-sacramento-kings-goes

94/95 Season Sixers @ Kings . Kings switched to the Rockies inspired Black , Purple and Silver. Sixers ditched the super early 90s unis for these that would only last a couple seasons. Cavs also changed unis that season so anytime the 3 played each other that would qualify.

Can't find photos, but 1992 Expos vs Phillies.

Archived