NHL Future Retired Number Concepts: Redux

mattr1198

Hey all, I did a series years ago in which I created the future retired number banners for players who have yet to formally retire. Decided to redo this series with better concepts and more relevant players/numbers. For the dates, if it is not the last year a player played for the team shown, I am using the year their current contract expires. Again, this series is just players who are still currently playing either in the NHL or worldwide. Honorable Mentions for each team that didn't quite make it will be below. Getting things started with the Atlantic Division:

McTonDj.png

Boston Bruins HMs: David Krejci (quality of play), David Pasternak & Brad Marchand (both longevity)

Florida Panthers HMs: Alexsander Barkov & Jonathan Huberdeau (both longevity)

Tampa Bay Lightning HMs: Andrei Vasilevsky & Victor Hedman (both longevity)

Toronto Maple Leafs HMs: Auston Matthews (longevity)

No Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, & Ottawa Senators HMs

Let me know if you agree or have any other players you think deserve consideration! Otherwise, Metro division is coming up next!

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

On 1/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, mattr1198 said:

Hey all, I did a series years ago in which I created the future retired number banners for players who have yet to formally retire. Decided to redo this series with better concepts and more relevant players/numbers. For the dates, if it is not the last year a player played for the team shown, I am using the year their current contract expires. Again, this series is just players who are still currently playing either in the NHL or worldwide. Honorable Mentions for each team that didn't quite make it will be below. Getting things started with the Atlantic Division:

Boston Bruins HMs: David Krejci (quality of play), David Pasternak & Brad Marchand (both longevity)

Florida Panthers HMs: Alexsander Barkov & Jonathan Huberdeau (both longevity)

Tampa Bay Lightning HMs: Andrei Vasilevsky & Victor Hedman (both longevity)

Toronto Maple Leafs HMs: Auston Matthews (longevity)

No Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, & Ottawa Senators HMs

Let me know if you agree or have any other players you think deserve consideration! Otherwise, Metro division is coming up next!

Andrei Markov needs an HM in my opinion. Some people would say Koivu. Cool idea for a series though

On 2/5/2021 at 12:23 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I personally agree with Markov and Koivu, but the Habs standard for retired numbers is sky high, so I really don't know.

I think Zetterberg's a lock for the Red Wings as well.

Others to consider:

Buffalo- Ryan Miller

I only included players still playing professionally, so guys who retired and have yet to see their numbers retired won't be in this series. Hence, since Markov, Koivu, & Zetterberg have already retired, I didn't include them. Miller, however, I didn't think that much of! He just never really stood out to me, he'd probably still fall into the honorable mention category. Vezina is nice, but still probably not enough accolades for retired number levels.

NYC x STL

Here is the Metro Division:

KnAGRLr.gif

Columbus Blue Jackets HMs: Seth Jones (Longevity)

New Jersey Devils HMs: Travis Zajac (Quality of Play) & Zach Parise (Longevity)

New York Islanders HMs: John Tavares (Went Out Hated)

New York Rangers HMs: Ryan McDonagh (Longevity)

Philadelphia Flyers HMs: Jakub Voracek (Longevity)

Washington Capitals HMs: Evgeni Kuznetsov (Longevity)

No HMs for Carolina & Pittsburgh

Notable Exclusions Due to Retirement/Not Qualified: Justin Williams (CAR), Cam Ward (CAR), & Rick Nash (CBJ)

Central coming up next!

NYC x STL

10 hours ago, mattr1198 said:

KnAGRLr.gif

Notable Exclusions Due to Retirement/Not Qualified: Justin Williams (CAR), Cam Ward (CAR), & Rick Nash (CBJ)

Central coming up next!

Can't argue much with this. I don't see Tavares being retired by the Isles, because, as you mentioned, he went out hated and the team didn't accomplish jack while he was there. 

sig.png

13 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

As someone who doesn't watch hockey, can anyone please explain the usage of big numbers (65, 68, 87 etc.)

Not really sure its anything specific. Hockey doesn't have any rules (written rules like in football with receivers wearing numbers in the 80's) governing what numbers a position can wear so its really just player choice. 

Goalies tend to wear #1 or numbers in the 30's, though there always exceptions. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 2/8/2021 at 11:29 PM, mattr1198 said:

KnAGRLr.gif

Central coming up next!

IMO Cam Atkinson is a better HM for Columbus. By the time is contract is up in 2025, he should or will be close to holding team records for games played, goals, assists, and points, plus he already holds a few records. He's ben an alternate captain the last few seasons and could be named the next captain (maybe as soon as next season). Plus he loves playing in Columbus and could sign another contract to retire here. 

I would also consider Nick Foligno an HM. He's been the captain during what is (so far and by default) the most successful period in CBJ history. 

EDIT: Man I wish I could spell.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived