NBA Monicker Carousel: SAC & MEM added 4/4/22

mcrosby

It's been quite a while, but I had an idea for a quick swap. 

The California flag was enough to convince me their capital city deserves a bear based monicker. 
7XmNOwL.png

And if the Grizzlies are in HotSac, what does that leave Memphis with? I considered a pharaoh theme, kings of Egypt and all, but how could I pass up an opportunity for a real groovy feeling team based on The King of Rock & Roll himself? I initially had an all white out of bounds and paint, but the sequins seemed like more fun. 
EB4rCR6.png

• mcrosby changed the title to NBA Monicker Carousel: SAC & MEM added 4/4/22
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the latest round of courts. About the M for Memphis, is that break meant to make the top part of the M like Elvis' hair? I don't think it really reads like that and would still work well without the break.

Outstanding work there mate! Memphis Kings makes so much more sense than Sacramento Kings, and so do Sacramento Grizzlies! Lovely concepts! Keep them coming!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

I'd been thinking of doing a switcheroo of those two teams for awhile now, but I don't think I'd be able to replicate the quality of results you achieved!Would you consider flipping the colors in the top half of the Grizzlies roundel so it gives off less of a polar bear vibe? It would be in line with the white background on the flag as well.

I agree with @scottyeagle; I would be curious to see a purple or gray bear on white background for Sacramento for better CA flag vibes.

Also, for the current Grizzlies logo, I know you didn't change the IRL Kings colors, but think it'd need a lighter shade of gray to have enough contrast.

Other than that it's a really fun and realistic option! Has some nice Republic synergy.

I love what you've done for LA in terms of the gradient and logo adaptation. I'd suggest at least one more squiggle under the sunburst logo; that'd help it read more as water, I think.

The crown treatment all around for Memphis is nice (especially on that ball logo), and the sequins court is really fun. Does scare me about the jerseys though lol

Also, idk if I said it at the time, but I love that Phoenix Heat cactus logo so much! The court is also really good, but I'd love to see a touch of green and a purple banner for the (lovely) PHX text on the alternate logo.

I'm really not feeling your take on the Miami Pelicans. I mean, the Vice/vaporware aesthetic is always welcome, but the composition of the logo with the tiny pelican doesn't do it for me.

The font update for the Jazz looks good but I do think it feels more Utah to me   :P idk if there's a font that'd work better, maybe one that evokes wrought iron or one that is more modern/abstract to evoke the genre...

21 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I don't think there are any other clubs that need to change nicknames. You got any? 

Well, this might not count to what you are doing but I do despise the Wizards name. So how about changing that name to the Senators? And while we are at it, just for bat :censored: craziness how about Orlando Rockets? Dont know if Houston Magic would work but yeah

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, mcrosby said:

I don't think there are any other clubs that need to change nicknames. You got any? 

While I'll concede that there aren't any other NBA teams that need to change their nicknames, there are some intriguing possibilities that remain.

Boston 76ers - References the March 1776 fortification of Dorchester Heights by Continental Army troops and the subsequent evacuation of British forces from the City of Boston on March 17th of that year. It represented a significant early success under George Washington's leadership... and later provided Suffolk County, Massachusetts residents  - many of Irish descent - with a legal holiday that coincidentally aligned with St. Patrick's Day.

Oklahoma City Trail Blazers - A tip of the Stetson to the Chisolm Trail, the famed cattle drive route from Texas to Kansas, much of it running right through the State of Oklahoma. The trail's namesake, Jesse Chisolm, maintained several trading posts in Oklahoma, with his first located in what is now western Oklahoma City. One of the busiest watering stops on the Chisolm Trail was located in Yukon, Oklahoma, just about 15 miles west of Oklahoma's City's Paycom Center.

Indiana Pistons - Not only a nod to the Indiana-based Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons of the National Basketball League and Fort Wayne Pistons of the Basketball Association of America/National Basketball Association, but a fitting name for a basketball team that plays its games in the city that's home to  "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing", the Indianapolis 500.

Golden State Clippers or San Francisco Clippers - During the California Gold Rush San Francisco was the finish line of a frenzied race that started in cities, towns, and villages scattered throughout the world. By every means imaginable - boat, cart, horseback, locomotive, and more - countless fortune-seekers made their way to San Francisco, gateway to the gold fields. The most beautiful, the swiftest, the greatest of the conveyances carrying these hopeful adventurers? The "greyhounds of the sea"... the clipper ships!

There are others that could work, each team name with a cultural connection  or historical sports lineage (not always in basketball) to its market: Brooklyn Knicks, Cleveland Nets, Dallas Spurs, Houston Mavericks, New York Celtics, San Antonio Thunder, That said, the four I highlighted are those that I find most intriguing.

All of that said, outstanding work on the identities you produced for your NBA Moniker Carousel. I truly enjoyed this series.          

Love this series so far!

A few ideas-

Rockets > Orlando

Magic > Los Angeles

Clippers > Boston

Celtics > Chicago

Bulls > Dallas

Mavericks > Detroit

Pistons > Indiana

Pacers > Charlotte

Spurs > Oklahoma City

Thunder > Denver

Nuggets > Golden State

Putting blank space in because I don’t know how to get from Hornets to Spurs 

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Love this series so far!

A few ideas-

Rockets > Orlando

Magic > Los Angeles

Clippers > Boston

Celtics > Chicago

Bulls > Dallas

Mavericks > Detroit

Pistons > Indiana

Pacers > Charlotte

Spurs > Oklahoma City

Thunder > Denver

Nuggets > Golden State

Putting blank space in because I don’t know how to get from Hornets to Spurs. As your list stands Houston is without nickname, there's alliteration in Houston Hornets so...

Hornets isn't an easy move. Bobcats could have been moved to a number of places. 

I really hate to say this as a Hornets fan, but maybe Atlanta? The state insect of Georgia is a honeybee and it's not a leap to go from bees to hornets. It's utter blasphemy and shouldn't happen, but for the sake of the concept I'm willing to suggest it.

the user formerly known as cdclt

5 hours ago, QCS said:

I really hate to say this as a Hornets fan, but maybe Atlanta? The state insect of Georgia is a honeybee and it's not a leap to go from bees to hornets. It's utter blasphemy and shouldn't happen, but for the sake of the concept I'm willing to suggest it.

There’s merit to this too when you take Georgia Tech into consideration

12 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Indiana Pistons - Not only a nod to the Indiana-based Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons of the National Basketball League and Fort Wayne Pistons of the Basketball Association of America/National Basketball Association, but a fitting name for a basketball team that plays its games in the city that's home to  "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing", the Indianapolis 500.

BLASPHEMY!!

But I like it...

sig.png

Archived