Full Name on Jersey

I stumbled upon this video today of the North Stars-Bruins brawl and I noticed something peciluar. At 3:36 the back of Bobby Smith's jersey is seen clearly with "Bobby Smith" as the NoB. At 5:32 the NoB of Greg Smith's jersey is visible with "Greg Smith" on the back. How common is it for players to have their first and last name on the back of their jerseys? Below are my best efforts to capture the moments.

IH1pScS.png

sBFlkEQ.png

Definitely not common, but also not super uncommon.  Used to see it a lot in the NFL since they had a rule where if two players had the same last name, they had to have their first initial added, and if that was the same, they had to have full NOB.  Also other example from hockey:

39321.jpg  17629.jpg  

cropped_sutters.jpg?ts=1401468099

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

47 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

Mr. Hockey:

w768xh576_99885830.jpg?ts=1401466131

58826.jpg

34187.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

15 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

football-los-angeles-rams-jack-youngbloo

Jack and Jim Youngblood

This is the first example that came to mind for me.

The example that never came to pass was Mississippi Mike Smith and Texas Mike Smith of the 1989 Orioles.  If memory serves me, they were never on the major league roster at the same time, so it never became an issue, but the story behind the nicknames is interesting.

http://www.greatest21days.com/2011/01/texas-mike-smith-next-time-out-309.html

Smith went on to pitch in 13 games for the Orioles in 1989, pitching well in all but three outings. Smith would return to Baltimore for two more games in 1990, concluding his brief major league career.

Smith's professional career, however, would be far from over. Smith later hit the independent circuits, being credited with his final game as a player in 2006.

Taken in the fifth round of the 1984 draft by the Reds, Smith began his career with Cincinnati in the rookie Gulf Coast League. He first made AA Vermont in 1987, returning to AA for 1988. The second year, at Chattanooga, Smith went 9-10 with a 3.20 ERA. One of his losses came in a June 26 game at Charlotte.

He moved to the Orioles system for 1989, selected in the rule 5 draft. It was that next spring where Smith got his nickname, Texas.

The nickname came more out of necessity than anything. A native of San Antonio, Smith became one of two in Orioles camp with the same name: Michael Anthony Smith. The other Michael Anthony Smith, with a longer major league record, became Mississippi Mike Smith, for his state of origin.

The two Mike Smiths also played together at Rochester, often being put in the same room. "Saved a lot of trouble," Mississippi Mike Smith told The Pittsburgh Press in August 1989. "At least all of the phone calls went to the same room."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 2/5/2021 at 4:02 PM, Ark said:

The Mark and Marty Howe one is interesting because you HAVE to spell out Mark Howe if you want to distinguish his name.

I like full names on jerseys. You don't see it too much anymore.

That's why Marques Johnson had FNOB, the Bucks also had Mickey Johnson on the roster - he too wore FNOB.

It's not quite the same, but in the 1980 All-Star game there were 4 Johnsons - Dennis, Marques, Eddie and Magic. Each player had their first initial before their surname, except Magic - he had "E.M.".

1 hour ago, Discogod said:

That's why Marques Johnson had FNOB, the Bucks also had Mickey Johnson on the roster - he too wore FNOB.

I couldn't remember who was second M.Johnson in Bucks at that time so thanks for remind. Here is Mickey photo:

spacer.png

Back to Marques he also had weird jersey with M on top instead of typical M.Johnson in one row:

spacer.png

4r2eer.png

29 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

With respect to the topic overall, I don't see the point of a first name or first initial on a jersey. The number should be enough to differentiate.

If players have numbers that are pretty close to each other, the extra letter helps when calling fouls or penalties in the TV booth. It also helps keep my uncle from stealing my jerseys if I have my first initial on the nameplate.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, Gobbi said:

With respect to the topic overall, I don't see the point of a first name or first initial on a jersey. The number should be enough to differentiate.

That indeed became the practice of some teams later on.

Image result for cal ripken billy ripken

The Mets of the late 1980s split the difference, with Howard Johnson wearing "H. Johnson" and manager Davey Johnson wearing just "Johnson".

Image result for "howard johnson" mets   Image result for "davey johnson" mets 5

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yes, but for a long time, the NFL actually legislated the use of one initial, two initials, or a full name on the back.  Teams couldn't choose how to do it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Couple more examples from back in the day:

jaguars-offensive-tackle-maurice-william

darrentwilliamsdies.jpg

(R.I.P.)

m_5c4a0dbdbb76157f475ddf4f.jpg

Tank-Johnson-Chicago-Bears.jpg

HuddleUp-1.jpg

(You're looking for Aaron Brooks, QB#2.)

I remember several more but can't find pictures; I do remember at one point the Cardinals had two Johnsons, Brandon and Bryant; one of them if not both had their FNOB. The Saints also had two linebackers, Keith and Kevin Mitchell go FNOB (or at least Keith did for a while). 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 2 weeks later...

Archived