2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

8 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

If you actually believed the "helmet ads are only for one year" stuff, you're now officially a sucker.  

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here as I too hate the look of them, but that money is crucial to recoup the costs of the season. Especially the Canadian teams. It sucks but it’s necessary right now. But Adidas and Fanatics are doing everything in their power to not take my money when they decided to give us sub par hats and shirts and not going for another run of Retro reverse jerseys or offering a bigger line of jerseys through NHL history. But in the end those ad revenues are valuable to the teams this season and the next few. 

zyyMk1d.png

1 hour ago, clonewars2008 said:

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here as I too hate the look of them, but that money is crucial to recoup the costs of the season. Especially the Canadian teams. It sucks but it’s necessary right now. But Adidas and Fanatics are doing everything in their power to not take my money when they decided to give us sub par hats and shirts and not going for another run of Retro reverse jerseys or offering a bigger line of jerseys through NHL history. But in the end those ad revenues are valuable to the teams this season and the next few. 

They just made $650 million from Seattle. There are more ads on the ice, ads on the glass, ad banners by the scorebug show up throughout the game. More split-screen ads every time there's a slight lull in play. Not a single team would face serious financial hardship if they got rid of the helmet ads. 

edit: Lol I forgot about the huge ESPN deal too. The NHL is rolling in money right now.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

They just made $650 million from Seattle. There are more ads on the ice, ads on the glass, ad banners by the scorebug show up throughout the game. More split-screen ads every time there's a slight lull in play. Not a single team would face serious financial hardship if they got rid of the helmet ads. 

edit: Lol I forgot about the huge ESPN deal too. The NHL is rolling in money right now.

Greed. It's always been greed. I've said it from the beginning, it really isn't surprising at all that the helmet ads are sticking around

• Like 6

4 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Greed. It's always been greed. I've said it from the beginning, it really isn't surprising at all that the helmet ads are sticking around

Agreed.  Those that didn't realize the helmet adverts were permanent the second they were announced have no idea how this league operates.  It was never going to be a one-year deal.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

On the helme, it's not "so" bad, we'll have to get used to it.

When it's gonna start being added to jerseys, it's gonna be another level..

Then people will be saying “one sponsor on a jersey isn’t that bad, we’ll have to get used to it. When it gets to 2, it’s gonna be another level..”

• Like 11

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Then people will be saying “one sponsor on a jersey isn’t that bad, we’ll have to get used to it. When it gets to 2, it’s gonna be another level..”

That philosophy is what I subscribed at the beginning of the season. When I realized they weren't as intrusive as I make out to be, I stop complaining and I just accepted the fact.

That said, someone has to regulate the amount of sponsors in said jersey.  Like making the logo smaller so it wouldn't look horrible when the cameras get close to the players.

Unfortunately, sponsorships on hockey jerseys aren't the same as sponsorships on ⚽ jerseys.....

• Like 1

I do think there is a difference between a helmet logo and a sweater logo.  A helmet is a definitively secondary piece of equipment. A jersey is the emblematic of the team/sport. Its the hockey equivalent of a football player's helmet or baseball player's cap. 

In regards to ads being plastered all over european teams uniforms, I honestly don't think thats a real comparable. They treat uniforms with a lot less reverence in there than in North America, its a different culture. Not only are they far more likely to embrace ads on the uniform (I have British friends who get excited when a cool company/logo graces their team's soccer kits) but the uniforms themselves don't seem as important. You've got teams 100+ year old teams like Chelsea that change it up all the time, as long as its blue it doesn't matter. Its a yearly thing. 

Meanwhile the Bruins change their socks from gold to black and a bunch of people get irate about it. Colorado changes their secondary equipment colour and it sparks endless debate. This isn't just a thing for sports logos weirdos like us, either. I've seen Maple Leafs fans argue in circles about whether they should have one hem stripe or two. To a lot of people sticking a logo on the Montreal Canadiens or Chicago Blackhawks sweaters is nothing short of sacrilege. I do believe the NHL will go ahead with it and I do believe its whats in the best interest of their bottom line. And I don't believe it will cause people to stop watching, but I also think they'll see a very large drop in jersey sales if they start sticking ads on them.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Let's ask NBA and CFL fans how that went

The CFL doesn't sell jerseys with ads on them outside of the game-worns and the NBA only has ads on the ones in the team stores in the arenas IIRC (and I guess gameworns too if they sell those). The extreme vast majority of the jerseys bought and sold in either league don't have ads on them (I also believe that is the case for minor league hockey too).

I think it's kind of like what Chromatic was getting at where the ads are a part of soccer jerseys and soccer aesthetics whereas the ads on CFL and NBA jerseys are just patches added on after the fact. If (when?) NHL jerseys get ads, I would be surprised if the retail versions would have ads.

10 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Lol yeah and lets ask my local junior B hockey club while we're at it.

*fart noise*

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

On 6/16/2021 at 8:13 PM, ManillaToad said:

Same thing has been happening in the NBA. Sponsorships are like an addiction: it only takes a "let's just try it out" before the owners become hooked on more money. The helmet ads aren't going away, much like how I expect the NBA to keep court sponsorships and digital ads on TV broadcasts. This is not a road we are coming back from.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

21 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Well of course, I can't speak for everyone but I love hockey more than I hate ads

That's really the core of the issue here. If the ownership gets more money by putting a patch/sticker on the uniform, and the only negative is "a percentage of the fanbase is annoyed but keeps watching regardless," why wouldn't they?

And honestly, the digitally superimposed ads next to the blue lines bothered me waaaaaaay more than the helmet stickers this year. At least the stickers don't randomly start jittering around the playing surface.

• Like 5