2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

2 hours ago, officeglenn said:

I was OK with this until "modernized look." That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

No it sounds like something that is way overdue. Those 80s Oilers uniforms look really dated

4 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm pretty sure Calgary kept the previous monstrosity around for one year to try and clear out as much inventory as possible. My guess is that it's gone next season, and they keep Blasty around as a permanent third. 

I thought they had to keep it for at least 2 more seasons, no? Someone who works at adidas said something along those lines in the 2020-21 thread if I'm not mistaken

24 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

No it sounds like something that is way overdue. Those 80s Oilers uniforms look really dated

What kind of updating do they need? They’re more of a classic hockey look than anything. The current alternate is definitely an already dated look. It’s a 20’s “stealth mode” jersey. 

The only thing that needs to be updated from the Reebok edge set, is the collars and the stripes on the breezers. And they fixed those in the Adidas set, except for the navy taking the place of royal blue. 

• Like 4

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

29 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

What kind of updating do they need? They’re more of a classic hockey look than anything. The current alternate is definitely an already dated look. It’s a 20’s “stealth mode” jersey. 

The only thing that needs to be updated from the Reebok edge set, is the collars and the stripes on the breezers. And they fixed those in the Adidas set, except for the navy taking the place of royal blue. 

I think going with navy instead of royal blue was a step in the right direction, leave royal blue to the Islanders, they pull off those colours way better. Solid gear, no orange fingers or cuff roll on the gloves or stripes on the pants. Single outline on numbers. Honestly if it was up to me they would scrap the logo and start from scratch but I get that some people still want them to cosplay as Gretzky's team so just minor changes that would help make the jersey look less loud and garish. I'm not saying the stealth third is perfect but the current white jersey looks much better than the 80s version to me. I would simply make a navy version to go with it, definitely without the orange yoke and cuffs, like the 90s redesign, and maybe keep the stealth 3rd around since the players seem to like it. I'm not a fan of the orange jersey at all. Too loud

39 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I thought they had to keep it for at least 2 more seasons, no? Someone who works at adidas said something along those lines in the 2020-21 thread if I'm not mistaken

they would have done that, seeing as that uniform has been in use for 4 seasons.

• Like 3

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

6 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

they would have done that, seeing as that uniform has been in use for 4 seasons.

But not as a third jersey. Anyway, not really trying to argue here, I have no idea what I'm talking about lol. I'm hoping they keep Blasty instead but until someone more knowledgeable steps in, I think the Reebok carryover monstrosities are sticking around for a couple more seasons

18 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Honestly if it was up to me they would scrap the logo and start from scratch but I get that some people still want them to cosplay as Gretzky's team so just minor changes that would help make the jersey look less loud and garish.

Did you look at your avatar before you decided to post this? No one accuses the current Habs of "cosplaying as Beliveau's team" or the Red Wings of "cosplaying as Howe's team" because it's a completely outrageous comment to make.

Today's Edmonton Oilers are the exact same Edmonton Oilers franchise that Gretzky, Messier, Fuhr, etc. played for, so there's nothing wrong with using the same uniform.

Not sure why you're talking down to people for having an attachment to a brand that's associated with some of the greatest teams in the history of the sport.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Did you look at your avatar before you decided to post this? No one accuses the current Habs of "cosplaying as Beliveau's team" or the Red Wings of "cosplaying as Howe's team" because it's a completely outrageous comment to make.

Today's Edmonton Oilers are the exact same Edmonton Oilers franchise that Gretzky, Messier, Fuhr, etc. played for, so there's nothing wrong with using the same uniform.

Not sure why you're talking down to people for having an attachment to a brand that's associated with some of the greatest teams in the history of the sport.

Absolutely not comparable with the Canadiens who have had the same basic template for over a hundred years, won in almost every decade and most importantly, tweaked small details like fonts, collar even the shade of red and shape of the logo several times to keep it from looking dated. It's a jersey that is absolutely not associated with one particular decade of excess and loud designs and one specific player, unlike the Oilers

Yes, they're the same franchise but they modernized their jerseys in the 90s and instead of continuing to update them, they simply went back to the old uniforms to cash in on nostalgia. Again, not comparable to the Habs or Wings in that regard

Not talking down to people, I'm allowed to dislike a jersey and people are allowed to disagree. I'm not being disrespectful to anyone or singling them out, I'm just saying the only reason these jerseys are so highly regarded is because people are wearing their nostalgia goggles. If Gretzky had been on a different team and they had been a mediocre team in the 80s, you sincerely think people would be clamoring for a return to those uniforms? They'd be on the same level as the black spaghetti plate Canucks jerseys or those 80s Blues jerseys with the thin red stripes, not necessarily ugly jerseys but dated for sure, a niche group of people would want them back but everyone else would be glad they moved on

I think people like the royal and orange set because it’s a fundamentally sound hockey jersey with traditional stripes,  good colours and shoulder yokes that add an extra dimension.

But yeah, there is a lot of nostalgia involved which I don’t think should hold up as a reason to like them. Especially when their legacy has been stained by bad seasons in the mid 90s and a decade long playoff drought more recently. 

As an Oilers fan myself, I did grow tired of the 80s set from years of watching them play awful hockey in them. So my head says yes, wear them because they are objectively the nicest set we have worn. My heart doesn’t want to wear them anymore because I associate it with the  bad years. We have worn other nice sets between the copper and blue and WHA sets and could potentially look good with a navy version of 80s template.

So I’m not married to the 80s set, because we have some great alternatives. I would much rather wear them than this mailed in third jersey with the least inspiring design I have seen since the Edge jerseys. If we make a bland white jersey to match it for the away and ditch the current terrific away white, then this franchise deserves to keep getting swept in the first round. 

This was the perfect Oilers set. The alternate was historical, yet different enough to be marketable, while not being boring (here's looking at you, Islanders)

1UJ983m.png

• Like 21
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

9 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I think going with navy instead of royal blue was a step in the right direction, leave royal blue to the Islanders, they pull off those colours way better. Solid gear, no orange fingers or cuff roll on the gloves or stripes on the pants. Single outline on numbers. Honestly if it was up to me they would scrap the logo and start from scratch but I get that some people still want them to cosplay as Gretzky's team so just minor changes that would help make the jersey look less loud and garish. I'm not saying the stealth third is perfect but the current white jersey looks much better than the 80s version to me. I would simply make a navy version to go with it, definitely without the orange yoke and cuffs, like the 90s redesign, and maybe keep the stealth 3rd around since the players seem to like it. I'm not a fan of the orange jersey at all. Too loud

I tend to agree with this. Cleaning up that old navy jersey with just the navy/orange/white looks so nice. 

pprfgAV.png

6meyiMj.png

• Like 14

8 hours ago, B-mer said:

I tend to agree with this. Cleaning up that old navy jersey with just the navy/orange/white looks so nice. 

pprfgAV.png

6meyiMj.png

This certainly looks nice, no doubt. But -- and maybe this is just me -- I've come to think of Navy as too drab lately. I prefer it for my own casual attire, but it's just not a color that adds a lot of dimension to a look.  I mean, if you want to be a franchise that just hangs out in the background, sure. But royal seems to have a lot more dimension.

Again, this is probably just a personal preference of mine. I just always felt that the Oilers in navy represented more of a downshift for the brand rather than a modernization. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, B-mer said:

pprfgAV.png

6meyiMj.png

That home set looks so dreary. It needs the orange yoke, but probably more than anything it needs to be royal. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, dont care said:

That home set looks so dreary. It needs the orange yoke

On 12/13/2017 at 3:28 PM, pepis21 said:

This is what I'm expecting from Blackhawks, Oilers and Penguins:

0wWyGBj.jpg

4r2eer.png

The Navy looks so drab and dull compared to their classic Royal...  It just seems like a relic of that 90's trend of darkening colours to the point where they appear almost black.  They should wear the uniforms they lifted 5 cups in and stop messing with their identity and legacy.

• Like 13

Yeah, it’s not like the Oilers have a poor history in royal. The greatest player of all time and one of the more dominant dynasties in NHL history wore it, and it’s what the Oilers should still be wearing today. And even besides tradition, the royal and orange just looks really good together. Something about the particular shades and the way they were allocated was really striking to me, and the same design just doesn’t work the same way with navy in my opinion.

• Like 8

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

10 hours ago, B-mer said:

pprfgAV.png

Back in 1996, when I heard they were changing to navy, I thought this was the going to be the new look (before I learned they changed the stripes to copper and red which I thought was kinda cool at the time). 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, B-mer said:

pprfgAV.png

6meyiMj.png

The change to navy is where the orange now shines the brightest, which isn't a bad thing. Oilers in navy look just as fine as them in royal blue. However, with so much great history associated with royal blue you're technically messing with what's perfect.

It's funny to me how a change in colour shade can piss off some people within the hockey community (or any sports fandom in general).

7 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

The change to navy is where the orange now shines the brightest, which isn't a bad thing. Oilers in navy look just as fine as them in royal blue. However, with so much great history associated with royal blue you're technically messing with what's perfect.

It's funny to me how a change in colour shade can piss off some people within the hockey community (or any sports fandom in general).

spacer.png

• Like 4

Oilers in navy blue, you say?

Lutz.jpg?time=1589571950

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17