Jump to content

2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes


squamfan
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, spartacat_12 said:

 I'm pretty sure Calgary kept the previous monstrosity around for one year to try and clear out as much inventory as possible. My guess is that it's gone next season, and they keep Blasty around as a permanent third. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it to clear out stock to make room for an '04 red third, honestly. Flames management seems keen on keeping the Black C variant around, and it'd be easy to cash in on '04 nostalgia with that red jersey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ICYMI the league announced some marquee events for next season:

 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-announces-2022-all-star-game-winter-classic-and-stadium-series-events/c-325499840

 

The Winter Classic that was supposed to be in Minneapolis this year will take place in 2022. I'd assume both teams already had the uniform designs in the can, but I'm surprised nothing had leaked. My guess would be the Wild in a green version of this year's Reverse Retros, with the Blues in white versions of their throwbacks.

 

The Stadium Series will feature Tampa travelling to Nashville to face the Preds at Nissan Stadium in February. Who knows what they'll come up with for this. Tampa's gradient alternate already has Stadium Series vibes. Considering both teams have a history of using silver, I'd expect a lot of chrome to be incorporated somehow.

 

They also announced that a Heritage Classic will take place in March, but the teams and location is still TBD. Montreal has still never hosted one, and it has been a while since Edmonton hosted the first one, so I could see either team getting it. If they want to try another neutral site, I could see Hamilton getting it. Toronto vs Buffalo at Tim Hortons Field could be cool, but I'm sure they want an all-Canadian matchup.

 

All Star Weekend will be in Vegas. This is a no-brainer, and hopefully it convinces more players to actually show up. If they stick with the divisional 3v3 format they used before, Vegas's colour scheme could lead to some cool looks (white vs. grey/black vs. gold vs. red).

 

South Florida was supposed to have the All Star Game this year, and Carolina was supposed to have a Stadium Series game. Bettman says they will "be back at some point", but who knows what that means. Pretty sure Arizona was promised another ASG after they cancelled the '06 one, but that has yet to happen.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

ICYMI the league announced some marquee events for next season:

 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-announces-2022-all-star-game-winter-classic-and-stadium-series-events/c-325499840

 

The Winter Classic that was supposed to be in Minneapolis this year will take place in 2022. I'd assume both teams already had the uniform designs in the can, but I'm surprised nothing had leaked. My guess would be the Wild in a green version of this year's Reverse Retros, with the Blues in white versions of their throwbacks.

 

The Stadium Series will feature Tampa travelling to Nashville to face the Preds at Nissan Stadium in February. Who knows what they'll come up with for this. Tampa's gradient alternate already has Stadium Series vibes. Considering both teams have a history of using silver, I'd expect a lot of chrome to be incorporated somehow.

 

They also announced that a Heritage Classic will take place in March, but the teams and location is still TBD. Montreal has still never hosted one, and it has been a while since Edmonton hosted the first one, so I could see either team getting it. If they want to try another neutral site, I could see Hamilton getting it. Toronto vs Buffalo at Tim Hortons Field could be cool, but I'm sure they want an all-Canadian matchup.

 

All Star Weekend will be in Vegas. This is a no-brainer, and hopefully it convinces more players to actually show up. If they stick with the divisional 3v3 format they used before, Vegas's colour scheme could lead to some cool looks (white vs. grey/black vs. gold vs. red).

 

South Florida was supposed to have the All Star Game this year, and Carolina was supposed to have a Stadium Series game. Bettman says they will "be back at some point", but who knows what that means. Pretty sure Arizona was promised another ASG after they cancelled the '06 one, but that has yet to happen.

 

 

 

 

It sounds like the Hurricanes requested to move their Stadium Series game back to 2022-23. I wonder if those jerseys that leaked a few weeks ago will be what they wear, or if they are going to go with something different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Glover said:

It sounds like the Hurricanes requested to move their Stadium Series game back to 2022-23. I wonder if those jerseys that leaked a few weeks ago will be what they wear, or if they are going to go with something different. 

 

I just saw the statement from Waddell that the Canes released, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He said the organization wants to ensure "a safe environment for fans", yet they had almost a full barn during the playoffs, and have already announced 100% capacity with no masks at next season's home games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

 

I just saw the statement from Waddell that the Canes released, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He said the organization wants to ensure "a safe environment for fans", yet they had almost a full barn during the playoffs, and have already announced 100% capacity with no masks at next season's home games.

Yeah, I agree the reasoning he gave was odd. Maybe the decision was made many months ago when things were more murky regarding attendance and they started planning for 2022-23 from that point on - that is the only thing I can think of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm guessing the changes that we all knew were coming for the Coyotes will be announced very soon...these newly-posted socks line up with this tweet from today...

 

 

Arizona Coyotes Rock Em Socks Logo Sketch Crew Socks

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, Ridleylash said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it to clear out stock to make room for an '04 red third, honestly. Flames management seems keen on keeping the Black C variant around, and it'd be easy to cash in on '04 nostalgia with that red jersey.

It's the best home jersey the team has ever worn so it'd be awesome to see it come back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2021 at 11:42 AM, spartacat_12 said:

 I'm pretty sure Calgary kept the previous monstrosity around for one year to try and clear out as much inventory as possible. My guess is that it's gone next season, and they keep Blasty around as a permanent third. 

 

On 6/22/2021 at 12:35 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

But not as a third jersey. Anyway, not really trying to argue here, I have no idea what I'm talking about lol. I'm hoping they keep Blasty instead but until someone more knowledgeable steps in, I think the Reebok carryover monstrosities are sticking around for a couple more seasons

 

On 6/24/2021 at 1:13 PM, Ridleylash said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it to clear out stock to make room for an '04 red third, honestly. Flames management seems keen on keeping the Black C variant around, and it'd be easy to cash in on '04 nostalgia with that red jersey.

 

Icethetics' JerseyWatch says a source told them the Flames are planning for no alternates for the 2021-22 season.

 

I passed by a brick and mortar CGY Team Store (CSEC's apparel store for the Flames, Stamps, Hitmen and Roughnecks) when I was at a mall last weekend and there was a sign out front saying 50% off all Black C jerseys (and maybe some Black C apparel too, I don't remember). Just looking at the online store right now, it's there as well. I have to go back to that mall tomorrow, so I'll look closer I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2021 at 10:44 PM, Nordiks_19 said:

spacer.png

 

The Oilers should copy that and there you go, one of the best set in the league.

 

How can't they figure that out but their AHL team can ?

Ultimately I agree with this. The Orange/navy play well off of each other, single stroke numbers, updated gloves and pants... it’s a good blend to give the McDavid era it’s own feel. Much better than the oranges. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://theathletic.com/2683219/2021/06/30/tom-dundon-on-taking-full-ownership-of-hurricanes-carolinas-delayed-outdoor-game-and-ads-on-nhl-jerseys/

 

Quote

[Shapiro] Hurricanes owner Dundon on jersey ads: "Look, I’d be on the very, very extreme end. Like for me if we look like Formula 1 or NASCAR, that’d be fine with me. I think the league is constantly looking at how do they maintain tradition plus maximize revenue and figure out the balance? And I think they’re doing a good job of it. But yeah, if it were left to me, it would probably be a good subset of people that didn’t like what I did."

 

Of course, this will never happen in the NHL   :^)   Anyone saying ads will get worse is just pointlessly complaining 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe the Hurricanes can celebrate wins by doing marching-band-style scatter drills where they spell out their sponsors, then everyone will get mad at them for being annoying, then they can sell shirts about everyone getting mad at them for being annoying, which will also be sponsored. Sounds like more meme magic for Reddit's favorite meme team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Has Seattle announced the release date of their uniforms?  Surely before the Expansion draft right?

I hope they surprise us with seafoam blue gear or something cause from what I've seen they're seriously boring uniforms. They're not ugly or dumb or anything, just boring, and for an expansion team, that's probably worse lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2021 at 5:06 PM, pepis21 said:

More Canes Stadium Series jersey photos via Icethetics:

60bbca2be8d8f0e89d090322_0605-main.jpg

 

Ok I noticed something that I didn't notice when I wrote that post. 

In 2019 Stadium Series Penguins and Flyers we've had color vs color and jerseys without any white. This Canes jersey was supposed to using in 2021 and also has no white.

Do you think that it might be a trend that in odd years we would have color v color with no white and in even years standard uniforms?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

https://theathletic.com/2683219/2021/06/30/tom-dundon-on-taking-full-ownership-of-hurricanes-carolinas-delayed-outdoor-game-and-ads-on-nhl-jerseys/

 

 

Of course, this will never happen in the NHL   :^)   Anyone saying ads will get worse is just pointlessly complaining 🙃

Note that Bettman's already said jersey ads aren't happening next year, though. Dundon may think it's a good idea, but he still needs a majority consensus to do it; and I have a feeling that they'll look at the NBA's deal and decide it's not really worth it, because it clearly isn't that worth it to spam ads on jerseys at the major league level, otherwise more sports would've done it by now.

 

The helmet ad is essentially the equivalent of the NBA's jersey ad. I have a feeling that this is as far as things will go unless there's another massive event that hurts the bottom line. They just got some fat TV contract deals and the expansion money; I feel like they're not hurting for money as badly now as they were before last season started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.