2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think we'll hear more once the Finals are over and the league's calendar turns over; the pandemic and the shifted league schedules have really thrown off the timing of news the last year or so. 

I'm hoping for another round of RR unis too. 

Yeah either another round or maybe just allowing teams to keep using them as full time alternates. Another round might be complicated for teams like Toronto, Detroit and NYI who already seemed to struggle with coming up with just one jersey, let alone two lol. So maybe making it optional this time. How about another program? Not sure what it could be. A Turn back the clock/Stadium Series type of thing where every team has to come up with a futuristic design, perhaps? It would probably be panned across the board, though

2 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yeah either another round or maybe just allowing teams to keep using them as full time alternates. Another round might be complicated for teams like Toronto, Detroit and NYI who already seemed to struggle with coming up with just one jersey, let alone two lol. 

If those teams didn't want to venture into other designs, they could always reverse them  (i.e make white jerseys for TOR, NYI) though a red Detroit jersey with silver trim would look even worse/lazier. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm hoping that if they bring back the RR programs next year, the Penguins use blue. Seems a lot of fans, including myself, have wanted a blue alternate to come back ever since the disappointing yellow alt was introduced. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

I'm hoping that if they bring back the RR programs next year, the Penguins use blue. Seems a lot of fans, including myself, have wanted a blue alternate to come back ever since the disappointing yellow alt was introduced. 

I like the yellow alt. That said, I'd much rather have a yellow alt that matches the home/road set

That said, I'm suspecting that RR will not be back in 21-22 but will take a year break and be back in 22-23. Which I'd like. Nice idea, but this'll make it a slow burn.

• Like 2

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

39 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Some teams have really done all they could with what they had like Chicago (is there anything they haven't tried yet?), Montreal (I don't think anybody wants to see the white jersey RR'd in red), Toronto (2 color team, everything is already reversed), Buffalo (wouldn't wanna see them in yellow) etc but a lot of teams still have some jerseys I wanna see RR'd

ANA: OG jerseys in jade, late 90s 3rd and 4th jerseys in eggplant, MD script jersey in just about any other color, Wild Wing in eggplant, the possibilities are endless

ARI: Kachina in burgundy

BOS: Pooh bear in black. Yellow socks

CAR: OG jerseys in silver/gray or maybe even black. Either way, red gear

COL: OG jerseys in blue, leave the Nordiques alone, the fleur de lys makes no sense on a team not based in Quebec or Louisiana, much less in burgundy. I know, hot take

DAL: Early 00s jerseys but in current colors, this time done right, no knockoff Color Rush whiteout. Victory base jersey and most importantly, victory green gear

DET: 40s white jerseys with the white sleeves, but with the reversed logo. Possibly with the weird whimsical 82-83 font. No silver nonsense

EDM: 90s jersey but in copper. Cause why not lol

LAK: OG jerseys in black and silver

NJ: I've always wanted to see the Brodeur era jerseys in black

NYI: Fisherman in teal or in current colors, OG jerseys in orange or in Fisherman colors

NYR: Lady Liberty in royal blue. I never liked the Rangers in navy, they're the only team using a true and bright royal blue and it looks great

PIT: Gradient RoboPen in white

STL: Early 90s jerseys in current colors. Royal blue gear

SJS: OG jerseys in black or grey again

TBL: Storm 3rd in black, maybe even getting the stealth treatment I usually hate with hollow numbers and all. In this specific case, it would work imo because the design is busy

VAN: OG jerseys in green

WAS: OG jerseys in current colors. Maybe even with the current logo. Basically just not using the terrible Edge template lol

• Like 2

I would wager most teams could have a second jersey choice if the league/Adidas decides to run the RR program back again. The issue would be if the teams should have a second RR.

I mean, we kind of scraped the bottom of the barrel already during the first go-around and I don't know if a team simply flipping the RR they had last year nor going with something that is pretty close to what the team is currently wearing brings enough oomph to a second RR effort.  I could see the RR quickly becoming something that looks like a normal alternate jersey and not a special "modified" throwback.

Like some of the hypotheticals posited in the post above, many of them are just colour flips of what they are currently wearing.

IbjBaeE.png

6 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

PIT: Gradient RoboPen in white

Yes!!! 

7 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

I'm hoping that if they bring back the RR programs next year, the Penguins use blue.

IMO, I don't think the Pens will do the blue uniforms anytime soon, just because of all the bad things that happened with them last time.

• Like 1

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

21 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I mean, we kind of scraped the bottom of the barrel already during the first go-around and I don't know if a team simply flipping the RR they had last year nor going with something that is pretty close to what the team is currently wearing brings enough oomph to a second RR effort.  I could see the RR quickly becoming something that looks like a normal alternate jersey and not a special "modified" throwback.

Honestly, I think going the Vegas route for everybody and doing throwbacks to older franchises from the region the team represents would be a really neat idea for a second RR run instead of just another bout of inverted NHL uniforms.

The Rangers donning a version of a NY Americans throwback would be super cool. Maybe the Sens could do a WHA Nationals throwback, the Sharks could do a Seals throwback, Tampa could do a Suncoast Suns throwback, the Pens could throw back to the Hornets, Minnesota could do a Millers or Saints jersey, etc. There's potential there for everybody and it'd be a nice way to show off the hockey history of each NHL market.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Honestly, I think going the Vegas route for everybody and doing throwbacks to older franchises from the region the team represents would be a really neat idea for a second RR run instead of just another bout of inverted NHL uniforms.

The Rangers donning a version of a NY Americans throwback would be super cool. Maybe the Sens could do a WHA Nationals throwback, the Sharks could do a Seals throwback, Tampa could do a Suncoast Suns throwback, the Pens could throw back to the Hornets, Minnesota could do a Millers or Saints jersey, etc. There's potential there for everybody and it'd be a nice way to show off the hockey history of each NHL market.

Yeah that's not a bad idea at all! Just not sure how it would work from a copyright point of view

11 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I mean, we kind of scraped the bottom of the barrel already during the first go-around

Who's we and which jerseys "scraped the bottom of the barrel"?  This first go around was extremely popular because of bottom of the barrel stuff???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Who's we and which jerseys "scraped the bottom of the barrel"?  This first go around was extremely popular because of bottom of the barrel stuff???

I don't think it takes too much effort to understand what he was saying. It wasn't a suggestion that the RR program isn't popular, but that the formula -- a throwback-inspired look in which the colors are flipped -- can only be done a limited number of ways for some teams. That, to me, is a perfectly logical take.

In general, I applaud the RR program -- compared to what Nike has done with the NBA, the Adidas concept manages bring something new to the table while displaying some restraint. But I could also easily see how the concept could either run its course or run the risk of turning into a Nike-esque series of clown costumes . I think @Ridleylash's idea of paying homage to prior franchises isn't a bad idea. Depending on who owned the IP, it would be cool to bring some old WHA identities back for a spin. 

Personally, I'd prefer just a straight-forward throwback program minus the "reverse" part of it.  

• Like 3

Just now, gosioux76 said:

I don't think it takes too much effort to understand what he was saying. It wasn't a suggestion that the RR program isn't popular, but that the formula -- a throwback-inspired look in which the colors are flipped -- can only be done a limited number of ways for some teams. That, to me, is a perfectly logical take.

That view generally isn't equal to the phrase "scraping the bottom of the barrel". 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

That view generally isn't equal to the phrase "scraping the bottom of the barrel". 

Of course it is. "Scraping the bottom of the barrel" doesn't have to mean you're picking from the worst, just that you're picking from limited options. There is so little left in the barrel that they're scraping bottom.

So in this case, teams that either don't have a deep well of retro looks to pull from, or are already limited to just two colors, may already be nearing their limit of options under the RR concept. It implies nothing about whether those options are good or bad. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Of course it is. "Scraping the bottom of the barrel" doesn't have to mean you're picking from the worst, just that you're picking from limited options. There is so little left in the barrel that they're scraping bottom.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that only applies to three or four teams. The rest of the league had/still has plenty of options.  There are multiple threads in the Concepts sections (especially like @colinturner95's thread) that prove a lot of RR options are still possible. 

Scraping the bottom of the barrel refers to low quality, poorly designed stuff. 

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/scrape-the-bottom-of-the-barrel

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

In general, I applaud the RR program -- compared to what Nike has done with the NBA, the Adidas concept manages bring something new to the table while displaying some restraint. But I could also easily see how the concept could either run its course or run the risk of turning into a Nike-esque series of clown costumes . I think @Ridleylash's idea of paying homage to prior franchises isn't a bad idea. Depending on who owned the IP, it would be cool to bring some old WHA identities back for a spin. 

Personally, I'd prefer just a straight-forward throwback program minus the "reverse" part of it.  

God, I would love to see this for the blues:

St Louis Eagles Retro Hockey Jersey White Any Name or Number | JerseyPhils  on ArtFire

• Like 5

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The collective we.

Toronto, Detroit and Chicago are the big ones.

14 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This is exactly what I was getting at. Despite how generally well received it was, the Reverse Retro well can only be drawn from so many times before it stops becoming a "Reverse Retro" and ends up being something more akin to a normal alternate jersey or it ends up being simply a flip of (of an already flipped) existing Reverse Retro jersey. The freshness can go away quickly.

(the collective) We widely panned the Toronto, Detroit and Chicago jerseys and it will get to the point where, if the RR continues with new jerseys, other teams will find themselves in the same spot where they don't have much to choose from.

13 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that only applies to three or four teams. The rest of the league had/still has plenty of options.  There are multiple threads in the Concepts sections (especially like @colinturner95's thread) that prove a lot of RR options are still possible. 

I'm not saying that there's not still RR possibilities out there, it's that it's a limited resource and could get stale very quickly.

Lets look at Calgary for example. They went with the Blasty jersey for the Reverse Retro, which really only entailed removing the red at the bottom of the jerseys (and a swapping of the shoulder patch colour). Where do they go next?

• A white version of Blasty? Well that's just a flip of what they already did. There's no new ground there.
  • A black or a yellow version of the current jerseys as a Reverse Retro to 1989? Well that's just essentially an alternate jersey.
  • A black version of the 04 set? That's just the Blasty jersey but with a Flaming C this time instead
  • A black pedestal? If there's going to be a second Reverse Retro, do they or (the collective) we want another black jersey?

So what are we stuck with then? A pedestal jersey in the current colours?

I'd wager that if you sat down and really thought about it, there's not that many teams with another (good) Reverse Retro option that can still be considered both Reverse and Retro. A team like Florida has pretty much already exhausted their Reverse Retro catalogue, unless they want to go with the current colours on that double blue alternate.

There is the opportunity to go with something from a previous hockey franchise in the city/area, I also think that will eventually also stray away from Reverse Retro conceit if teams aren't throwing back to themselves.

13 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Scraping the bottom of the barrel refers to low quality, poorly designed stuff. 

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/scrape-the-bottom-of-the-barrel

No it doesn't. Your link even shows that.

to use the worst people or things because that is all that is available

Nothing about low quality or poor design.

To use or select from the last or worst of the resources or options from a particular range or set, even if they are not satisfactory, because there are no others to choose from.

to select from among the worst; to choose from what is left over.

to utilize the last or only things or people available, even if unsatisfactory. 

The barrel has run dry and we are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel to try to get the dregs because it is all that is left.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

7 hours ago, monkeypower said:

The barrel has run dry and we are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel to try to get the dregs because it is all that is left.

Again, I disagree, especially when you said the barrel was dry on the “first go-around”, when it clearly isn’t. There are still quite a few ideas for every team available…even for the Leafs and Red Wings…and if your biggest concern is “Well that’d just be an alternate jersey” then I’m ok with that. The program is literally taking old jerseys and changing the colors or vice versa, or sometimes a mix. Thinking that it has to break some “new ground” every time in the alternate jersey space is just wishful thinking.

Just because you wouldn’t like a yellow 80s jersey or a black 90s pedestal or a red 2000s Blasty jersey or a white or black 2010s “Calgary” jersey doesn’t mean no one will. The Panthers could have a red version of the double blue jersey, or a navy version of the current jersey with old colors and people would still buy it.

Do I think teams like the Devils, Golden Knights, and the Islanders have a tough road ahead? Sure, but by no means was adidas “scraping the bottom of the barrel already during the first go-around.”

And to argue that “the worst possible things” does not mean (or has nothing to do with) low quality is just a really odd take. Bottom of the barrel is low quality oil…the crud

• Like 3