2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

On 7/7/2021 at 9:23 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Toronto (2 color team, everything is already reversed)

Disagree. This beauty wasn't reversed:

aauv241_580x.jpg

In facts Maple Leafs could play with green color too.

Red Wings could simply do this:

2020-reverse-retro-v2.png

and there is also a few options from times when they weren't Red Wings yet which lead us e.g to this:

a1063c5a283d6a33f32c0e3b7c49a0c0.jpg

• Like 4

4r2eer.png

If I see the tweet on Twitter again I’ll take it here, but it was a photo from the team shop at the Lightning arena today showing they were selling older pre-Adidas Lightning jerseys in both blue and white.

I know so many places have been selling stock of current jerseys, but with the influx of sales after winning the cup I guess the Lightning are trying to offload what they can.

I believe I’ve heard it’s just a change in material for the 2021-22 jerseys but something seems odd

On 7/9/2021 at 5:46 PM, pepis21 said:

Disagree. This beauty wasn't reversed:

aauv241_580x.jpg

In facts Maple Leafs could play with green color too.

Red Wings could simply do this:

2020-reverse-retro-v2.png

and there is also a few options from times when they weren't Red Wings yet which lead us e.g to this:

a1063c5a283d6a33f32c0e3b7c49a0c0.jpg

eWiXPk7.png

TlDGlwZ.png

Couldn't agree more. 

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 7/9/2021 at 7:41 AM, WSU151 said:

Again, I disagree, especially when you said the barrel was dry on the “first go-around”, when it clearly isn’t. There are still quite a few ideas for every team available…even for the Leafs and Red Wings…and if your biggest concern is “Well that’d just be an alternate jersey” then I’m ok with that. The program is literally taking old jerseys and changing the colors or vice versa, or sometimes a mix. Thinking that it has to break some “new ground” every time in the alternate jersey space is just wishful thinking.

Just because you wouldn’t like a yellow 80s jersey or a black 90s pedestal or a red 2000s Blasty jersey or a white or black 2010s “Calgary” jersey doesn’t mean no one will. The Panthers could have a red version of the double blue jersey, or a navy version of the current jersey with old colors and people would still buy it.

Do I think teams like the Devils, Golden Knights, and the Islanders have a tough road ahead? Sure, but by no means was adidas “scraping the bottom of the barrel already during the first go-around.”

And to argue that “the worst possible things” does not mean (or has nothing to do with) low quality is just a really odd take. Bottom of the barrel is low quality oil…the crud

The reality, though, is that every team saw (at minimum) three distinct options, so while only one made it to the ice, every team has already said no to at least two ideas.

• Like 9

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

The reality, though, is that every team saw (at minimum) three distinct options, so while only one made it to the ice, every team has already said no to at least two ideas.

If what we got out of Detroit, Toronto and Dallas was what they said "yes" to, I'm morbidly curious about what they said no to, being honest. 😛

I assume it's all under NDA, though, which makes sense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Interesting, and it changes my thought process a little bit. 

Were they absolute no's or was it a preference ranking? It seems odd that if a team had five choices that four would be "absolutely not, never, nowhere, no thanks"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

If what we got out of Detroit, Toronto and Dallas was what they said "yes" to, I'm morbidly curious about what they said no to, being honest. 😛

I assume it's all under NDA, though, which makes sense.

Or they just said yes to the first thing adidas gave them.

5 minutes ago, dont care said:

Or they just said yes to the first thing adidas gave them.

Not according to what Andrew just said. 

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

I still stand by what I said before. The Reverse Retro program is really cool and a, rare, really good idea from the NHL and I have a Getzlaf Reverse Retro in my closet right now that will be my go-to Ducks jersey for the foreseeable future, but the program has a shelf life.

I would rather it end after one (generally) good and well received go-around instead of cheapening it after another season or two with the reactions being "I guess that's a jersey that team wore in the past" or "That's the Reverse Retro they had last year, but in a different colour" or "That's just pretty much what they're wearing right now all the time already, but in a different colour".

On 7/9/2021 at 5:41 AM, WSU151 said:

if your biggest concern is “Well that’d just be an alternate jersey” then I’m ok with that. The program is literally taking old jerseys and changing the colors or vice versa, or sometimes a mix. Thinking that it has to break some “new ground” every time in the alternate jersey space is just wishful thinking.

That is a concern of mine, if you can even call it a concern. These aren't just supposed to be alternate jerseys, these are "Reverse Retros" and I think they should occupy different spaces and themes.

If it gets to the point where the jerseys aren't "Reversed" (even though that's an already loose term) nor "Retro", the program has run its course.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

Instead on being stuck on the Reverse Retro forever, I can see/hope that if a league-wide fourth jersey program is coming back, a new theme provoking new ideas would be introduced every cycle… for example, a “Hallmark Hybrid” line where teams would release new designs based on a unique element from their uniform history.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

7 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Taking a closer look at the Coyotes cap -- Difficult to tell, but looks like they might've done away with green 🔍

E6JnZCTVcAEEnqp?format=png&name=large

I think I see green on the pants and bellow the brick red on the cap stripe. Anyways, I'm glad that it's actually happening!!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

The Kraken and Coyotes hats are pretty cool.

Seems to kill the rumor that Boston is switching to 80s/90s set full time (at least for now), as the old set had a different striping pattern on the white jersey.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.