2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

4 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

It made sense when they were the North Stars. Looks sloppy as just the Stars.

Except I don't think I ever saw Minnesota use the wordmark star on it's own. Dallas used the standalone star on the state outline shoulder patch, the Mooterus, and as the centre ice logo for a while.

3 hours ago, raysox said:

Just replace the crack bear with the current shoulder patches, and that's pretty much perfect.

• Like 3

Lots of teams that "go back" to a look right now modify it in some form (Buffalo with the striping, Ottawa with the logo colors and font). I think only Calgary so far has gone full throwback, and I'm pretty sure Arizona will be similar to that.

And honestly, the current logo definitely has an air of "mid-2000's" to it with all the outlines, especially since no other variant of the logo before had lines separating the B and spokes from one another. It's a design aspect that definitely feels a little dated compared to the rest of the O6 logos, and mixing elements of that with elements of the Orr/Neely/Bourque logo seems like the kind of unification that'd make sense.

3 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Just replace the crack bear with the current shoulder patches, and that's pretty much perfect.

Meth Bear's too popular among the Bruins fanbase, I think purposefully ditching it right after reviving it in the Reverse Retro might not go down well.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 5:22 PM, TaylorMade said:

We'll finally get to see these beauties in action

Seattle Kraken

This is one instance where having a thin outline works as fitting complementary striping on a modern design.

What Nashville uses now, for example, is a click n fill generic template. The old ones were vastly superior.

• Like 6

The only change I'd make to what the Bruins have now is to use the letters and numbers from the 1995-2007 set. They got too cute and then the NOBs stopped matching. The current Spoked B is the best one they've had and to go back to the one from the '80s would be a big downgrade.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

43 minutes ago, Mr. Krabs said:

Per their Instagram, the Penguins are confirmed to be wearing their gold alternate uniforms this postseason.

Because why wear one of the best set in the league when you can wear your ugly alternate ?

• Like 5

21 hours ago, the admiral said:

The only change I'd make to what the Bruins have now is to use the letters and numbers from the 1995-2007 set. They got too cute and then the NOBs stopped matching. The current Spoked B is the best one they've had and to go back to the one from the '80s would be a big downgrade.

I liked the double outline on the Bruins' 95-97 white jerseys (black/yellow/black), but a single outline always looked best on the black jerseys. 

If they can reverse the colors of the current spoked B (a la the 80s/90s logos) that would be fine with me. I always kind of liked how the circle and the B were yellow on the old black jersey. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Mr. Krabs said:

Per their Instagram, the Penguins are confirmed to be wearing their gold alternate uniforms this postseason.

That makes me very concerned, considering the last time the Penguins wore an alternate as their playoff home jersey, it became their primary home jersey the next season.

• Like 4

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

14 hours ago, Mr. Krabs said:

I think this is a fantastic move and I am 100% behind this change.

If my team is going to look bad in the playoffs, I’d like our biggest rival to also look bad. 

spacer.png

14 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Why are the playoffs turning into an alternate uniform showcase lately?

This isn't anything new. The Rangers wore the Liberty alternates during their run to the '97 Eastern Finals. The Stars won the Cup in '99 wearing their green jerseys, which were still the 3rd jerseys at the time.

I'm at least glad the NHL still sticks to one home, one away jersey for the duration of the playoffs. NBA teams go through their full rotation over the course of a playoff run.

• Like 5

I know I'm in the minority but I love the Pens gold alt. I love the color balance, the way numbers look on the shoulders (ditto Florida), and that it has a normal collar. That being said, I'd be shocked if there was any talk of their replacing the primary. Even people in Pittsburgh don't seem to care for them very much. From a marketing standpoint, I'd guess that they're deciding to feature them this postseason as a ploy to clear out inventory before eventually introducing a new alternate, maybe something stemming from the rumored Stadium Series with Carolina next year.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

This isn't anything new. The Rangers wore the Liberty alternates during their run to the '97 Eastern Finals. The Stars won the Cup in '99 wearing their green jerseys, which were still the 3rd jerseys at the time.

I remember the Leafs wore their alternates at home during the 2002 playoffs, as well.

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

I'd be shocked if there was any talk of their replacing the primary. Even people in Pittsburgh don't seem to care for them very much. From a marketing standpoint, I'd guess that they're deciding to feature them this postseason as a ploy to clear out inventory before eventually introducing a new alternate, maybe something stemming from the rumored Stadium Series with Carolina next year.

I'd like a blue jersey to get back into the rotation for the Pens, honestly. The two-tone blue works perfectly for an alternate.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I remember the Leafs wore their alternates at home during the 2002 playoffs, as well.

I try not to think about the '02 Leafs playoffs 😢.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I liked the double outline on the Bruins' 95-97 white jerseys (black/yellow/black), but a single outline always looked best on the black jerseys. 

If they can reverse the colors of the current spoked B (a la the 80s/90s logo) that would be fine with me. I always kind of liked how the circle and the B were yellow on the old black jersey. 

Exactly. You can see on that tweet/photoshop they used the current logo and just flipped the colors to the way they were applied on the old mark. Looks fantastic. Would do wonders for the Bruins’ look, in my opinion.

• Like 4

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

20 hours ago, Mr. Krabs said:

Yuck 🤮

I see very few redeeming qualities to this uni. It can't leave soon enough.