2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

None of these attempts to fix the '96 Avs design are really working for me. It's really easy for me to accept all the flaws as products of their time. They're load-bearing flaws. If you want to fix them, you have to start over altogether.

An idea I have had is to combine the mountain hem stripes with the sock stripes replacing the sleeve mountain stripes.   I think it helps add blue to the away sweater and keeps a good balance of the burgundy blue and gray throughout both home and away:

PCGPll0.png

Or with burgundy gear and mountains:

v9jndbh.png

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Yeah, I thought we already knew it was tomorrow.

The team never actually said what was coming until now; we all just inferred it based on all the evidence. This is the first direct tease/confirmation we have from them about the matter.

• Like 1

I understand why many want to eliminate excessive colors, to go with blue and burgundy and that's it. However, the team kept black numbers, so the changes that the Avs made don't even resolve the complaint that was pointed out so many times here.

The Avs look so much better with black pants breaking up all that blue.

DqOf42zXgAAbS9V.jpg

Using blue as a highlight color only on the road looks quite decent.

cut.jpg

• Like 3

My opinion may be unpopular. But I'd be open to change, if they restarted from scratch and rebranded properly, if they come up with a good idea to work with. But also, I honestly think that their previous look was the best look they could assemble with what they had.

Removing the black shells but keeping the black numbers is not an aesthetic upgrade.

The foot doesn't make sense in their brand anymore unless they change it to a pawprint for Bernie, though; the foot made sense then because their mascot was a yeti. They haven't had a yeti mascot for decades at this point, and the C is more generally-applicable.

And I disagree that black being so prominent was "getting it right" when overall it's a pretty minor color in their brand identity even then; it was only on the puck in the primary, after all. I think if they'd gone with navy instead of black for the jersey accent, it could've worked pretty well; but black was a trendy color in the mid-late 90's, so they just kinda put in without really thinking about it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Just bring this back with the original shade of burgundy and the Foot.  They got it right the first time.

D32U8eG.jpg

The black gear looks so bad now.  It made the whole uniform look cheap.  

look at the white uniform above, there’s no black on it.  Just some random black equipment that they found at a used hockey shop.  

• Like 9

21 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Blackhawks have orange, yellow and green in Chief Black Hawk's feathers and the Senators' centurion has gold. The original Sharks' logo had an orange stick. None of those colours are/were part of main colour schemes of those respective teams.

The Avalanche's uniforms looked rushed after the move from Quebec City. The Avs should have just focused on burgundy as the primary dark colour with just silver and steel blue. 

The Blackhawks could have went out of the box, if they wanted to, and make a multicolored jersey. But their colors, being red, white, and black, they don't need to add a bunch more colors because they got it right the first time.

That Avs combo is a product of the 90s, where teams came up with color schemes that weren't common. It's from the same time period where the Thrashers began to use the colors navy blue, burgundy, yellow, and powder blue. At that time, they did things that wouldn't work today. As teams evolve their look over the years, they bump into big issues, when they try to retain team history and be visually pleasing...all at the same time...

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 7:31 PM, _RH_ said:

On the Avs ...again after seeing them in action in practice it's just a mess... IMO grey is on the jerseys to separate burgundy from blue.  So there is NO REASON for (1) burgundy and blue to ever touch and (2) grey to be present anywhere OTHER than between burgundy and blue.  Plus, all the grey stripes should be the same width.   I don't have an issue with the black equipment/breezers, but if they insist on eliminating it I think they have two fine options (personally I'd prefer burgundy shoulders/breezers):

3nxoRt9.png

I think @CreamSoda's last drawing is pretty similar to mine above (which got relegated to the bottom of pg53 so I'm guessing it wasn't seen), like he says the pattern is logical head to toe... 

diRUiQg.png

3 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

I’m sad about the current inevitability of corporate ads on unis. I think at some point we as fans actually need to start boycotting the companies that pay for them. It’s the only way it’s gonna stop. The teams are too greedy. 

It will continue to get worse and consumers will continue to defend it and get annoyed when people speak out against it. There's nothing to be done

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

The black gear looks so bad now.  It made the whole uniform look cheap.  

look at the white uniform above, there’s no black on it.  Just some random black equipment that they found at a used hockey shop.  

The uniforms look cheap now.  Multiple instances of burgundy and blue touching and the entire colour-balance thrown off.  The uniforms were never designed to have blue equipment and it shows.

The foot doesn't make sense in their brand anymore unless they change it to a pawprint for Bernie, though; the foot made sense then because their mascot was a yeti. They haven't had a yeti mascot for decades at this point, and the C is more generally-applicable.

The foot was done in the same style as the primary logo so it looked like it belonged.  The two logos formed a cohesive identity.  The C looks shoehorned on.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

And I disagree that black being so prominent was "getting it right" when overall it's a pretty minor color in their brand identity even then; it was only on the puck in the primary, after all.

Black was on the home jersey striping and the road numbers.  It can be argued that the palette had too many colours but the original uniforms worked them together seamlessly.  And there weren't any contrast issues.

• Like 4

Quoted to bump it before the official reveal and this thread takes off again (and if anyone missed it before Avs Talk came back with a vengeance).

Both the dark and the white jerseys now have the "correct" Kachina logo and the graphic at the end of the reveal video also appears to be the "correct" Kachina logo. So it appears now that the incorrect 2018-2021 jersey Kachina logo has been retired, bringing my count of different Kachina logos currently in use to three.

On 9/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, monkeypower said:

Why was it wrong? Does anybody know the story to this? Is there even a story to this?

Looking into it more, I also don't know if it's been entirely fixed.

• The updated jersey logo has the corrected skate blade colour, the green feather tip and the upper purple arm stripe
  • Their rookie team was still wearing the incorrectly logoed Kachina jerseys from previous years yesterday for the rookie tournament, which I guess might not mean much because they probably just had those ones laying around
  • The logo they put at centre ice has the corrected skate blade colour and the green feather tip, but is missing the upper purple arm stripe
  • On the Coyotes website, all the logo graphics there match the centre ice logo with the corrected skate blade colour and the green feather tip, but are missing the upper purple arm stripe
  • However, the little logo in the schedule bar across the top of the website matches the jersey logo with the corrected skate blade colour, the green feather tip and the upper purple arm stripe
  • Then when you mosey over to their Twitter, their Facebook and their Instagram, the profile picture and the cover photo (for Twitter and Facebook) have the corrected skate blade colour but do not have the green feather tip nor the upper purple left arm stripe
  • The graphics in the social media posts use the logo seen at centre ice and on the website with the corrected skate blade colour and the green feather tip, but no upper purple arm stripe

Another thing I noticed was that Chychrun was the Coyotes rep at the Media Tour days and wore the howling coyote logo on one day and then the Kachina (sans upper purple arm stripe like the logo seen at centre ice and on the website) the next.

So by my count there are four different Kachinas in use right now by the Coyotes. The incorrect 2018-2021(?) jersey Kachina, the jersey/tiny website schedule Kachina, the centre ice/website/polo Kachina, and the social media profile picture Kachina. Then add in that Chychrun shows up at the media day wearing the howling coyote logo (though that could have been out of the Coyotes hands, I don't know how they pick what the players are going to wear for those but I would assume the teams would have a say)?

I guess some of this could be fixed or the logos could pared down on Monday with the unveiling, or whatever it is, but I think at the very least there will be at least two Kachinas with the jersey/tiny website schedule Kachina and the centre ice/website/polo Kachina.

I don't know what all this is about, other than Coyotes Hockey, Baby! 

I find this absolutely fascinating. 

It can't be an intentional choice that there are three slightly different Kachina's in use now, so I really don't get what's going on. I know there will be at least two in play for a while (three maybe depending on any social media profile picture changes) as the jersey Kachina and the centre ice/website/polo Kachina Kachina are different.

I know we can't, but I would really like to see the style guide for the Coyotes to see what the actual Kachina logo is supposed to be. I don't mean to call you out, but you did like my post quoted in here when I first made it @andrewharrington, so do you know anything?

Coyotes Hockey, Baby! 

IbjBaeE.png