2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

23 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Although I don't like the full uniform, the blue gear looks better to me:

5TAb6hy.png

I've been reading through this entire debate, and I keep going back to this concept. I'm sure I'm in the minority about this, but I really like it.  It takes a minute, because I think embracing it requires reimagining the AVs as a burgundy-first brand, which they've never been, but certainly could be. I'm really coming around to the idea. 

As @the admiral said, really fixing this issue would require blowing the whole thing up and starting over. I see this as meeting-halfway kind of response to that idea. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I've been reading through this entire debate, and I keep going back to this concept. I'm sure I'm in the minority about this, but I really like it.  It takes a minute, because I think embracing it requires reimagining the AVs as a burgundy-first brand, which they've never been, but certainly could be. I'm really coming around to the idea. 

As @the admiral said, really fixing this issue would require blowing the whole thing up and starting over. I see this as meeting-halfway kind of response to that idea. 

if they ever do another reverse retro program this would be an interesting look for Colorado.  

• Like 1

One thing has bugged me ever since they brought the Kachina look back as a throwback.

Would it have killed them to put "ARIZONA" on the moon patch?  The Coyotes script is specifically shaped to accommodate text and the void there really sticks out.

• Like 12

VmWIn6B.png

3 minutes ago, LMU said:

One thing has bugged me ever since they brought the Kachina look back as a throwback.

Would it have killed them to put "ARIZONA" on the moon patch?  The Coyotes script is specifically shaped to accommodate text and the void there really sticks out.

After watching the reveal video, yeah.  That blank space sticks out like a sore thumb.

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, LMU said:

Leaving it out in case they move and want to keep the sweaters and branding! 

• Like 4

68f63447-3fff-4f77-ae45-1410f178146b-chy

It's still a good looking jersey...I realize the dark jerseys are supposed to be superior as they fully encompass the brands, but this is one of the four or five exceptions in the league, I think. 

• Like 9

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

As much as I like the kachina identity, I'm tired of teams going back to full-time throwbacks. It'd be better to evolve the identity forward using elements of the old branding rather than being unoriginal and just copy/pasting it onto the Adizero template.

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

As much as I like the kachina identity, I'm tired of teams going back to full-time throwbacks. It'd be better to evolve the identity forward using elements of the old branding rather than being unoriginal and just copy/pasting it onto the Adizero template.

I totally agree. The kachinas are fun throwbacks for throwback nights. But an updated, modernized version of these jerseys should have been what they went with for full-time home and road. Hire whoever made those magnificent Sabres uniforms and make them come up with something mid-90s inspired yet modern enough by 2021 standards.

Then again, the team is struggling financially just to survive. It was probably cheaper to go with pre-existing throwbacks. They may become the Nordiques soon. If that's the case, no need for an amazing rebrand that won't last.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

68f63447-3fff-4f77-ae45-1410f178146b-chy

It's still a good looking jersey...I realize the dark jerseys are supposed to be superior as they fully encompass the brands, but this is one of the four or five exceptions in the league, I think. 

This uniform is so, so dark… the black, red, green, and purple just bleed into one another and you miss out on so much.

Even a small change like flipping the black and the green sections on the arms and hem would help break the design up a bit, considering that they’ll be wearing black pants with them.

• Like 3

Personally, I love that they're going full throwback and not really :censored:ing with it, because :censored:ing with it in modern sports design can often result in an inferior design than what fans were asking for.

Most of the 'Yotes fans I've seen have been ecstatic about the return of the originals as they were.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

That sounds good in theory, but that's how we ended up with the Sabres in navy with silver armpits, the Ducks wearing Frankenstein jerseys for their 25th anniversary, or the LA Rams trying to make "bone" a thing.

In most cases it's better to just not overthink these things and give the fans what they want.

• Like 22

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Personally, I love that they're going full throwback and not really :censored:ing with it, because :censored:ing with it in modern sports design can often result in an inferior design than what fans were asking for.

I agree 50%.

Things always change, to evolve with the times. Not just sports uniforms. There's a way to make changes and preserve the essence and there's a way to make changes and :censored: it up. It depends on how the re-designers approach it.  An example of a team that got it wrong was the Ottawa Senators.

• Like 3

The Kachina design was and still is one of my favorites, especially the white jersey. Glad to see them fully back in action. I also think it's one of the rare times that the Adidas collar works. The pattern looks better and cleaner within the narrow strip.

• Like 1