2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

50 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Meh I honestly preferred the howling Coyote sweater. I get the nostalgia , but that’s gonna run dry eventually.

So they're running dry in the desert? Lol

I'm glad they're keeping that logo, but their current logo is unique and I like the uniqueness.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Personally, I love that they're going full throwback and not really :censored:ing with it, because :censored:ing with it in modern sports design can often result in an inferior design than what fans were asking for.

Most of the 'Yotes fans I've seen have been ecstatic about the return of the originals as they were.

This. When teams "update" their throwbacks most the time it just looks like a half assed compromise. One notable exception is the Sabres

34 minutes ago, Ark said:

The Sabres eventually got a good "modern" version of their classic uniforms after years of this

9696107-johan-larsson-nhl-calgary-flames

They sharpened the outlines of the bison and the swords. Those are minuscule details that you need to view up close to notice, but it makes a world of difference.

Here's the before and after. (Spoilered for large images)

Spoiler

Old

230.png

New

5493_buffalo_sabres-primary-2021.png

The embroided effects applied onto the crest really made the fur look like wool and the swords look sharp and shiny. Simply brillant.

sabres-new-logo-2020-2021-feat.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

This. When teams "update" their throwbacks most the time it just looks like a half assed compromise. One notable exception is the Sabres

Stupid white lines on their home jerseys are a good example of why you shouldn't "update" just for the sake of it though...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I agree 50%.

Things always change, to evolve with the times. Not just sports uniforms. There's a way to make changes and preserve the essence and there's a way to make changes and :censored: it up. It depends on how the re-designers approach it.  An example of a team that got it wrong was the Ottawa Senators.

How exactly did Ottawa get it wrong?

11 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Stupid white lines on their home jerseys are a good example of why you shouldn't "update" just for the sake of it though...

I've actually come around on the white lines. I think it matches better with the white outlines on the numbers and the white in the logo.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

How exactly did Ottawa get it wrong?

They didn't do like other teams and clean up the logo tracing, make it sharper, and remove the excessive outlines.

Also, this is just my personal preference. But I also feel like the 3D centurion is vastly superior to the nostalgia logo. Nostalgia phases sometimes have a shelf life.

14 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Wish they would've gone back to the 2.0 version of those uniforms, to be honest.

22 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

They didn't do like other teams and clean up the logo tracing, make it sharper, and remove the excessive outlines.

Also, this is just my personal preference. But I also feel like the 3D centurion is vastly superior to the nostalgia logo. Nostalgia phases sometimes have a shelf life.

Just because you personally wanted to see the team do something slightly different, that doesn't mean the team got it wrong. As has been mentioned several times on these boards, most fans didn't want the updated 2D logo, and the new/old uniforms have been a huge hit.

As for the shelf life comment, I don't hear people getting sick of the Penguins or Islanders uniforms. Oiler fans weren't bored with their throwback look, and it will most likely be back in the next couple years. Nostalgia for kitschy things like the fisherman or wild wing uniforms is definitely trendy, but that's very different from what Ottawa or Calgary has done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Just because you personally wanted to see the team do something slightly different, that doesn't mean the team got it wrong.

That's fine. I was happy enough that, in a league full of red-and-black teams, the Sens bucked that trend and went black-and-red instead. Black's also personally my favorite color and I'm generally happy to see teams (that have that color already in their scheme) choose to wear it as their primary jersey color. My comment likely falls more under the nitpick department than an actual complaint. 

• Like 4

spacer.png

To put it in video game terms, Ottawa re-released their original set without various improvements introduced in later patches (white stripes, an updated 2D logo, etc.). Granted, some like the lack of white striping and prefer the OG Centurion logo to the updated one, which is fine.

I wanted the Sens to promote the heritage set and discard the entire Roman identity. However, it’s best to save that for when Melnyk sells the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I wanted the Sens to promote the heritage set and discard the entire Roman identity. However, it’s best to save that for when Melnyk sells the team.

Honestly, I think the current identity might have reached the point where entirely replacing it isn't even a good idea; the team's had a consistent theme for the last 30-odd years, changing it up drastically might backfire.

I think the Sens nearly got it, they just picked the wrong dark uniform to return to and didn't do enough updating to their logo.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:08 AM, NYRFan said:

Seems like a missed opportunity, but I seem to remember Adidas wanted the RR to rotate on a regular basis.

Any insight into this @andrewharrington? That Yotes RR would be a nice candidate for a third. Curious if it's true that teams are flat out not allowed to promote a retro to an alt.

Actually, it’s the opposite. RR was intended to be a very limited, exclusive program so the NHL doesn’t start becoming the NBA when it comes to uniforms.

Doesn’t mean the league couldn’t accommodate a team that really wanted to bring one back as a third, but I’d be surprised if you see the original RR collection on the ice again.

• Like 9

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't think the RR jerseys should stick around league-wide. I mean, just look at how much the Isles, Wings, Leafs, Jets, and Stars' fanbases hate their jerseys. I do think that some teams should keep the sweaters around, though, whether as alternates or theme nights. The Ducks, Yotes, Nucks, and Pens are the first ones that come to mind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Just because you personally wanted to see the team do something slightly different, that doesn't mean the team got it wrong. As has been mentioned several times on these boards, most fans didn't want the updated 2D logo, and the new/old uniforms have been a huge hit.

As for the shelf life comment, I don't hear people getting sick of the Penguins or Islanders uniforms. Oiler fans weren't bored with their throwback look, and it will most likely be back in the next couple years. Nostalgia for kitschy things like the fisherman or wild wing uniforms is definitely trendy, but that's very different from what Ottawa or Calgary has done. 

But that's what I said. Sometimes, nostalgia has a shelf life. It's case by case. The Oilers, I have no doubt a lot of fans still have a soft spot for the royal and orange. What we know is that someone got rid of them quickly. I believe it was management and they gave away free jerseys to fans, to fill the arena with orange.

Aesthetically, the new/old Sens uniforms have a ton of flaws. But it is true though that it appeals to the fans of the team, in spite of that.

I hope if the Sharks bring back the original logo, they fix it up. 5 outlines around a single triangular background is too much, imo.