2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

11 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

The Oilers, I have no doubt a lot of fans still have a soft spot for the royal and orange. What we know is that someone got rid of them quickly. I believe it was management and they gave away free jerseys to fans, to fill the arena with orange.

If the rumor mill is to be believed, the Oilers may have finally wisened up to that.

That's a shame. I know I'm in the minority but the orange and navy is a much better look. Trying to throw back to the Gretzky years when they aren't anywhere near as successful is pointless.

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

That's a shame. I know I'm in the minority but the orange and navy is a much better look. Trying to throw back to the Gretzky years when they aren't anywhere near as successful is pointless.

I just don't think they play well together, is the thing. The navy has always come off as more black than anything on TV due to just how dark it is in contrast to the bright neon orange. The royal works a lot better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

To put it in video game terms, Ottawa re-released their original set without various improvements introduced in later patches (white stripes, an updated 2D logo, etc.). Granted, some like the lack of white striping and prefer the OG Centurion logo to the updated one, which is fine.

I wanted the Sens to promote the heritage set and discard the entire Roman identity. However, it’s best to save that for when Melnyk sells the team.

Oh believe me, I've been team =O= ever since the first heritage concepts started being made. But leading up to the rebrand I realized that this isn't how majority of the fanbase feels, and the safest choice was to just go back to the 2D. I wouldn't have minded if they cleaned it up a bit (not to the extent of the updated 2D), but I can understand why they essentially left it untouched.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

24 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I just don't think they play well together, is the thing. The navy has always come off as more black than anything on TV due to just how dark it is in contrast to the bright neon orange. The royal works a lot better.

For me, this is a hard one of to compromise. If they were wearing blue sweaters primarily, I prefer royal blue. If they're wearing orange with blue trim, I prefer the blue trim to be navy. I'm kinda partial to the orange sweaters more than I probably should be, but ultimately the Oilers are traditionally known for blue-and-orange, not the other way around, so I'd take royal blue over navy blue if forced to choose one or the other. It would be hard to reconcile a hybrid approach and I wouldn't endorse it.

Besides, just look at their blue-and-orange, '80s dynasty cousins. Even if the Islanders will never be able to replicate those years, they still look more correct in the lighter blue than they did in navy. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Besides, just look at their blue-and-orange, '80s dynasty cousins. Even if the Islanders will never be able to replicate those years, they still look more correct in the lighter blue than they did in navy. 

I think the Islanders also look better in navy for the same reasons that I stated above. Wearing the old design won't bring the dynasty back. Mike Bossy's not walking through that door. Minus that stupid four-stripe shoulder patch and the awful orange alternate, 1998-07 is the best the Islanders have looked.

• Like 5

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 9/20/2021 at 12:16 PM, WSU151 said:

I realize the dark jerseys are supposed to be superior as they fully encompass the brands, but this is one of the four or five exceptions in the league, I think. 

I'd agree ARI whites are better - at least some break from the three dark colors (green, red, and black).  I'm still not sure why that set needs black at all.  Like someone said about the Avs...just not enough contrast:

Greg Adams of the Phoenix Coyotes controls the puck during the game... News  Photo - Getty Images

I may be in the minority, but I'd go further and say plenty of teams look better in their white than colored jersey.  Maybe it's a product of when I grew up, but to me it looks cleaner.  Plus you avoid the monochrome look.  I'd say at least half the teams COULD have a nicer white than colored jersey.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I think the Islanders also look better in navy for the same reasons that I stated above. Wearing the old design won't bring the dynasty back. Mike Bossy's not walking through that door. Minus that stupid four-stripe shoulder patch and the awful orange alternate, 1998-07 is the best the Islanders have looked.

See, I disagree; the best look is the best look, context or not. The Islanders have always looked better in royal than navy, and same with the Oilers (though they at least managed to pull it off when they had the copper).

The winning legacy helps, but to me navy doesn't work with either team's orange; the contrast is too extreme. Royal blends better with the orange and forms a more cohesive design; as the Oilers have demonstrated with their bashing heads against a wall trying to get the navy-bright orange combo to connect.

Even on an orange-dominant jersey, royal just works so much better than navy;

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

See, I disagree; the best look is the best look, context or not. The Islanders have always looked better in royal than navy, and same with the Oilers (though they at least managed to pull it off when they had the copper).

Even on an orange-dominant jersey, royal just works so much better than navy.

"Always looked better"?  I'll disagree with that. A team's best look is subjective anyways. It all comes down to a matter of opinion. Personally, I prefer navy over royal in most cases, but I'm not going to say it's the better option. Both teams look fine ether way (except the Oilers should be a blue dominant team over the orange).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I don't think the RR jerseys should stick around league-wide. I mean, just look at how much the Isles, Wings, Leafs, Jets, and Stars' fanbases hate their jerseys. I do think that some teams should keep the sweaters around, though, whether as alternates or theme nights. The Ducks, Yotes, Nucks, and Pens are the first ones that come to mind.

see, I had the exact opposite reaction. seeing the Isles' RR made me realize navy was the superior choice all along.

• Like 4

53Ocz8U.png

6 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

This a concept on Icethetics from an artist. Had they gone with something like this revised crest, it would have been amazing.

5f12931dd13f491658ad1d99_0717-ott-concep

Yeah Ottawa really missed the mark by not having the black cuffs and black hem stripe on the white sweater.   This just feels incomplete and the color balance is off compared to the above:

VSbnpd5.png

• Like 8

On 9/20/2021 at 10:31 AM, LMU said:

One thing has bugged me ever since they brought the Kachina look back as a throwback.

Would it have killed them to put "ARIZONA" on the moon patch?  The Coyotes script is specifically shaped to accommodate text and the void there really sticks out.

Their original style guide from '96 has a version of the word mark without the empty space. They can use that or just leave it textless.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

spacer.png

So pointless. They were pretty much the only team to look worse when they switched over to adidas, and this doesn't help at all. A change for change's sake

• Like 4