2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

I don't get why teams use their alternates in the playoffs. You're gonna get national attention, hundreds of thousands of more eyes on your team, and potentially a Stanley Cup. Why would you opt for a tertiary, often experimental design instead of the primary jersey your team is associated with?

• Like 8

Regarding the Bruins rumor, I’m torn. Love their current set and this one, but it still has a sort of dated look to me and I’m not sure I’ve seen any concept that has successfully modernized it. That concept was pretty good though.

I’m also in a minority I think but gold socks need the gold shoulder yoke to balance things out. I can see an attempt at an update with black socks similar to now with wider gold stripes. 

Does anyone know who actually makes the decision of which jersey the team wears?  Is it the owner or the players?  GM?

With Pittsburgh, they are probably going with some yellow towels or t-shirts for the fans, so I get why they would wear the yellow alternates.

The other teams, I have no idea why.

5 hours ago, M4One said:

Does anyone know who actually makes the decision of which jersey the team wears?  Is it the owner or the players?  GM?

With Pittsburgh, they are probably going with some yellow towels or t-shirts for the fans, so I get why they would wear the yellow alternates.

I’ve seen it said in the past that players wanted to wear alts. It may just come down to the presidents/gms approving it

18 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I don't get why teams use their alternates in the playoffs. You're gonna get national attention, hundreds of thousands of more eyes on your team, and potentially a Stanley Cup. Why would you opt for a tertiary, often experimental design instead of the primary jersey your team is associated with?

Money. Fans are going to buy the primary jerseys regardless, but they may need an extra push to buy the alternate as well.

• Like 8
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

10 hours ago, M4One said:

Penguins are doing it, from what I’ve heard, because Crosby likes them and Crosby wants it. 

this same source told me that the penguins were wearing yellow before they announced it, so I’m giving them this trust. 

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I like the idea of a yellow Penguins alternate to go with their classic set, just not this one. It’s a really weak design. The lack of a Golden Triangle, and the random shoulder numbers are dumb decisions. The striping is also really weak, especially considering there’s no hem stripes. It just feels bland and uninspired. 

• Like 7

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

11 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I like the idea of a yellow Penguins alternate to go with their classic set, just not this one. It’s a really weak design. The lack of a Golden Triangle, and the random shoulder numbers are dumb decisions. The striping is also really weak, especially considering there’s no hem stripes. It just feels bland and uninspired. 

I like the shoulder numbers. Different, but they did it in 1980-1988 so it isnt without precedent.

That said, i wish the third yellow was just a yellow version of the home/away.

• Like 3

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

5 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I like the shoulder numbers. Different, but they did it in 1980-1988 so it isnt without precedent.

Yeah I mean the historical precedent makes sense, but that jersey was really similar to the current set. That’s also exactly what I’d like to see for the yellow jersey. 

If the current yellow sweater matched those older alternates it would be much stronger. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I'd prefer if it were one of these;

spacer.png

The double-blue just works so well for Pens alternates. None of the Pens' gold-dominant jerseys have ever looked good; the double-blue gives them a nice alternate option that's entirely unique from the rest of their lineup, and it's I think the only design the Pens haven't thrown back to yet besides the RoboPen jersey.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I'd prefer if it were one of these;

spacer.png

The double-blue just works so well for Pens alternates. None of the Pens' gold-dominant jerseys have ever looked good; the double-blue gives them a nice alternate option that's entirely unique from the rest of their lineup, and it's I think the only design the Pens haven't thrown back to yet besides the RoboPen jersey.

I always tought they bring this one back for their next Winter Classic

3 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

It's gonna be the Lady Liberty.

It would be decent too but only with the original Lady Liberty. If they want to use Reverse Retro then I'd go with Winter Classic every day.

4r2eer.png

The Reverse Retro, Liberty's look great.  I thought the new striping was half-assed & barren at first but taken with the whole uniform, it's not only perfectly balanced but looks pretty sharp in its own, contemporary way.  I wouldn't have any problem with it being promoted to full-time, third status...  It's the perfect example of an alternate look done right and one that's been absent from the league way too long. 

• Like 5

It may be a stretch, but could the Lightning be up to something?

Today thru Thursday, Chase cardholders can get home, road, and black alt jerseys for half off.  They have periodically done offers for Chase customers, but never this substantial.

Combine this with earlier in 2021 that black gradient alt jerseys showed up in batches in local Marshalls and TJMaxx stores, it makes me wonder is something is brewing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

It may be a stretch, but could the Lightning be up to something?

Today thru Thursday, Chase cardholders can get home, road, and black alt jerseys for half off.  They have periodically done offers for Chase customers, but never this substantial.

Combine this with earlier in 2021 that black gradient alt jerseys showed up in batches in local Marshalls and TJMaxx stores, it makes me wonder is something is brewing.

The Av's had a similar sale. My guess is that the teams are switching to a new Adidas jersey template (fixes to the collar, different material/cut).

• Like 4

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

16 minutes ago, logo-maker said:

The Av's had a similar sale. My guess is that the teams are switching to a new Adidas jersey template (fixes to the collar, different material/cut).

Hopefully they take this opportunity to add a little more black into the jerseys. Ideally they'd use something similar to the RR, but considering how much success they've had in the current look I can't imagine they're interested in too many drastic changes.

At the very least I hope they're ditching the grayscale 3rds.

• Like 1