Patches for Jerseys

Hey all,

So I have a blank Bruins jersey that I would love to send to Exclusive Pro and make into a 13-14 Shawn Thornton uniform. This would also include sending along a Bruins 90th anniversary patch. Was wondering for the people that have a history of doing projects like this, what is the best place to get patches? I've checked eBay for good deals, but primarily either run into a listing that explicitly states the patch is not intended for use on fabrics or they don't even address it. Plus, if I'm going to get a patch, I want to make sure it's the correct size, it's legitimate, etc. So, any good websites for legitimate patches meant for repurpose onto a jersey? Any help would be much appreciated.

Mods, pardon me if a thread like this is not allowed. Went through the rules and didn't specifically see a rule against it, unless I missed it!

I've found that when it says a patch isn't intended for use on a jersey (most of the commemorative ones seem to be made as collectibles now, which seems silly), there is a hard backing attached. I've been able to sew through the hard backing, but you'll need to commit to breaking a few needles. I've successfully melted off the backing with an iron, but I wouldn't exactly recommend this tactic unless you're very confident.

Patch Collection is a solid source.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:49 AM, Bmac said:

I've found that when it says a patch isn't intended for use on a jersey (most of the commemorative ones seem to be made as collectibles now, which seems silly), there is a hard backing attached.

It's a licensing issue - the manufacturers can sell patches, but they don't have a license for clothing.  So they need to discourage people from attaching them to anything that might give the appearance of that item being licensed.

It's all about the dollars.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:49 AM, Bmac said:

I've found that when it says a patch isn't intended for use on a jersey (most of the commemorative ones seem to be made as collectibles now, which seems silly), there is a hard backing attached. I've been able to sew through the hard backing, but you'll need to commit to breaking a few needles. I've successfully melted off the backing with an iron, but I wouldn't exactly recommend this tactic unless you're very confident.

Patch Collection is a solid source.

I've used a blow dryer and a pair of tweesers and it comes of pretty easy. 

On 2/6/2021 at 7:48 AM, Brass said:

Hey all,

So I have a blank Bruins jersey that I would love to send to Exclusive Pro and make into a 13-14 Shawn Thornton uniform. This would also include sending along a Bruins 90th anniversary patch. Was wondering for the people that have a history of doing projects like this, what is the best place to get patches? I've checked eBay for good deals, but primarily either run into a listing that explicitly states the patch is not intended for use on fabrics or they don't even address it. Plus, if I'm going to get a patch, I want to make sure it's the correct size, it's legitimate, etc. So, any good websites for legitimate patches meant for repurpose onto a jersey? Any help would be much appreciated.

Mods, pardon me if a thread like this is not allowed. Went through the rules and didn't specifically see a rule against it, unless I missed it!

I've bought patches from Patch Collection before with decent luck.  Also, since IIRC you're in the Boston area have you thought about giving Custom Crafted in North Attleborough a call?  They're the official customizer for the Bruins and I'm sure they'd have no problem stitching your jersey.  I've also had jerseys customized both by EPS and others where I sent patches with the hard backing on them and they had no problem sewing them on.