NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

You're saying with a straight face that Tony Romo > Ben Roethlisburger? 

Not that this is entirely germane to your point, but Tony Romo doesn't have a string of eminently credible sexual assualt allegations against him, so in some senses the answer is automatically yes.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, waltere said:

Not that this is entirely germane to your point, but Tony Romo doesn't have a string of eminently credible sexual assualt allegations against him, so in some senses the answer is automatically yes.

I don't think Tony Romo rides a motorcycle like an idiot (Ben's lucky his crashes weren't too bad) or walks out on bar tabs (when he could buy several rounds for the entire establishment without breaking a sweat), either.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Exactly!  To win a ring, one has to demonstrate the skills that usually get one placed in those top 5 discussions.  That's like saying "the only thing keeping him out of the top 5 was that he was 6.  Let's pretend he was 5 instead of 6 and he's top 5 for sure."

If he had a ring then we're probably not having this discussion because he probably willed his team to big victories on big stages.  

I get that having a ring isn't the ultimate measure, but it is important.  I don't care how great someone is if they wilt when the cameras are at their brightest.  We know who didn't wilt.  We don't know if Romo would have wilted or not, but we know that the other guys didn't.  That matters.

I mean, look at Dan Marino. He never won a ring, yet is still considered one of the top QBs of his era. Give him a ring, is the debate around him really that much different?

35 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I mean, look at Dan Marino. He never won a ring, yet is still considered one of the top QBs of his era. Give him a ring, is the debate around him really that much different?

But romo isn’t one of the best of his era. Atleast Marino made it to a Super Bowl. Atleast Marino set every important QB stat by the time he retired. Romo has nothing that you can point to and say he was one of the best of his era other than having a good QBR, but that then gets neglected because that stat doesn’t consider all of the games he threw away. People say he didn’t have a good defense, but neither did brees and he made romo look like a chump compared to him. For much of his career Manning didn’t have a stellar defense but he still got his teams to AFC Championships. Romo for most of his career led 8-8 teams much of the time due to his own mistakes and when he did make the playoffs his mistakes only amplified.

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

Wait, I thought this was a Top 5 QB comparison in talent not morality or intelligence. 

When it comes to answering the question of who I want QBing my team, these things do factor in. It's nice not to have the slighty embarrassing feeling of knowing you're rooting/rooted for a garbage human being.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Cowboys fans who have bashed Romo tend to forget how much better he was than the also-rans that started at QB for the Dallas Cowboys from 2000 (following the retirement of Troy Aikman) to mid 2006 (when Romo took over).

Quincy Carter, Vinnie Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe! Oh my!

I saw, I came, I left.

Don't forget about Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson...

...Also, still looking for exactly what it was that Tony Romo was supposedly top-5 in...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 3/10/2021 at 10:56 AM, tBBP said:

Don't forget about Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson...

...Also, still looking for exactly what it was that Tony Romo was supposedly top-5 in...

For starters, among QB's who played from 2006 to 2015 and started at least 100 games, Romo was ranked:

5th in passer rating

3rd in completion %

4th in TD%

2nd in Y/A (yards per attempt)

3rd in AY/A (adjusted yards per attempt)

5th in ANY/A (adjusted net yards per attempt)

3rd in Y/C (yards per completion)

tied for 1st in 4th quarter comebacks

tied for 2nd in game-winning drives.

The only two players that are consistently better than the Romo in most of those stats are Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Literally the two of the three greatest QB's to ever play IMO. He wasn't quite as good as the consensus HoF QB's who played in that era (Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Peyton), but he was better than the others (Rivers, Eli, Roethlisberger and etc.). Far better than people realize.

If the Cowboys ever put a top 5 roster around Romo, they would have won at least one Super Bowl and Romo gets in the HoF easily. His defense was never higher than 7th and had only one year were they top 5 in anything (2009, 2nd in PPG).

EDIT: And if you're wondering about total stats, he was 7th in yards, 7th in TDs, 13th in INT's, 8th in completions and 10th in attempts.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

As of rumors last night, it is speculated that the Bears are going to make a heavy push for Russell Wilson very soon. Which in reality, it’s just that. Rumors. There’s zero evidence to dictate that the trade is happening.

If the Bears want Wilson that badly, then they better be prepared to part with something very dear to them - Khail Mack.

That's right. Wilson for Mack and their first rounder this year.

That's what happens when you pay a man half a billion dollars...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Exactly. Cap casualties.  It's one of the unfortunate side effects of doing business in the NFL. Of course, having half a billion dollars tied up into one player is sure to squeeze that cap even tighter...

...That said, I sure hope KC has a good succession plan in place, because that Super Bowl showing did not bode well for what could happen if their half a billion dollar man ain't got some good O-line play in front of him...

2 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Exactly. Cap casualties.  It's one of the unfortunate side effects of doing business in the NFL. Of course, having half a billion dollars tied up into one player is sure to squeeze that cap even tighter...

...That said, I sure hope KC has a good succession plan in place, because that Super Bowl showing did not bode well for what could happen if their half a billion dollar man ain't got some good O-line play in front of him...

They're probably one of the teams looking at getting Orlando Brown, who's looking at getting traded from the Ravens. There's also the possibility they re-sign for less money.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I get why they’re doing, I understand why they’re doing it, I still do not like it, no sir. Brett Veach better have at least two replacements in mind or this is about to get even uglier than SBLV.

As for Mahomes’s contract? Yeah, you pay a talent like that half a billion dollars. And that still feels like he’s getting shortchanged. I just hope he’s not just a more robust Russel Wilson.

EDIT: And what do you know, they’re restructuring Mahomes’s contract.

Looks like they’re preparing to get the best O-Line money can buy. I hope. At least get some depth. 

So the NFL has said that team executives will conduct the draft from their team facilities again for this year.  it means no more Belichick Dog, whatever was going on in the Vrabel Household or Jerry doing the draft from his yacht.  

Archived