NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

2 minutes ago, LMU said:

Do you think anyone in Los Angeles cares enough about the Chargers for one of the largest newspapers in the country to write a fake report on them?

No but I am always skeptical about any rumors from anywhere because of this stupid day.

35 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

No but I am always skeptical about any rumors from anywhere because of this stupid day.

It's nice to have a day every year when people question what they read on the internet.

3 hours ago, LMU said:

Oh look.  The Spanos clan is in debt and may have to sell after all.  And the Chargers may truly become the football Clippers if another tech billionaire buys into LA's second team.

*Crosses fingers that the new owner finds a way to move them back to San Diego*

40 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I wonder how much of a loan the NFL would allow if they just gave Snyder $450 million to help buy out his partners? 

C’mon potential new owner of the Chargers, do the right thing. I want to see Chargers games that are half blue and half opposing colors in San Diego versus 8 or 9 out of 10 fans supporting the opposing team. This whole experiment is an embarrassment to the NFL. There’s room for only one team in LA and it’s the Rams. 

11 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

C’mon potential new owner of the Chargers, do the right thing. I want to see Chargers games that are half blue and half opposing colors in San Diego versus 8 or 9 out of 10 fans supporting the opposing team. This whole experiment is an embarrassment to the NFL. There’s room for only one team in LA and it’s the Rams. 

The NFL's line of thinking was back when the moves were announced "every other league has two teams in LA, why can't we?  We're bigger than the NBA, NHL and MLB, who already have two teams in LA"

4 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The NFL's line of thinking was back when the moves were announced "every other league has two teams in LA, why can't we?  We're bigger than the NBA, NHL and MLB, who already have two teams in LA"

Yeah, that much is obvious. Here’s the issue: All those other teams from major sports leagues save the Clippers and Ducks have been in LA for over 50 years. They have had time to build up fanbases. Also, there’s a ton to do in LA like going to the beach, going to Hollywood, avoiding stepping in garbage/used needles or getting stabbed by some homeless tweaker. The Chargers are just boring. Not good or bad, just boring.

6 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Yes. And, if they return, they should bring back the Air Coryell era unis, not the ones that they have now.

Saw this crazy tidbit today: this will be the first year the Eagles don’t have a single assistant coach that coached under Andy Reid since 1994 (27 years).

Heard that while the schedule hasn't yet been released, it was "final" before the 17th game was added, so rather than closing with all division games, every team will end the season playing an interconference match up.

If that's true (haven't seen it confirmed), how the hell is that so?  It's not like these stadiums are booked for major events all throughout the year, and that the schedules couldn't be redone.  Also... it's not like this was a novel idea - everybody knew this was coming.  How wouldn't they have had a plan for this the whole time?  Stupid.

If that is actually the case, then I only hope it’s for this season. I just wished they went all in for 18 games if they were going to expand the schedule. Just feels weirdly uneven. Or heck, why couldn’t they have just made the extra game an intraconference rematch. I’d much rather see a Bills-Chiefs second game than a Packers team that might not even have Aaron Rodgers. Plus, why the end of the year? Who’s to say that these teams just don’t treat this game as a 4th preseason game if this interconference game will likely not have any effect on who gets into the playoffs?

They can’t do 18 games unless they negotiate it in the next CBA.  Once the most recent agreement was signed, 17 was all they got. 

it’s certainly just for this season, and many of those 17th games are most likely going to be farces. 

Carolina gets Sam Darnold for a 2, 4, and 6 (spread over two drafts).

Maybe the price was higher a month ago, but wouldn't the Bears have been better off trading those picks for him and seeing what happens rather than paying Dalton $10M? 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31199202/new-york-jets-trade-qb-sam-darnold-carolina-panthers-3-draft-picks

2 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Carolina gets Sam Darnold for a 2, 4, and 6 (spread over two drafts).

Maybe the price was higher a month ago, but wouldn't the Bears have been better off trading those picks for him and seeing what happens rather than paying Dalton $10M? 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31199202/new-york-jets-trade-qb-sam-darnold-carolina-panthers-3-draft-picks

There's never, and I mean never, any decision the Bears can make regarding the quarterback position that can be interpreted as sound.

Don't hate the trade, it's low risk with a potentially high reward. I think we could've done the trade with a 3rd next year instead of a 2nd, but I'm excited to see what Darnold can do with a real team around him. At worst, the Panthers get another year of Teddy-like QB play, which is what we expected anyway.

Looks like the thread finally lived up to its name (somewhat).  

Very interested to see what Darnold does away from Noted Offensive Genius Adam Gase.  I feel like there's a chance he could be Tannehill 2.0 since he's shown flashes, but he also might just be who he is at this point.

Now we wait to see if the Jets go for Wilson or Fields.

10 minutes ago, QCS said:
Don't hate the trade, it's low risk with a potentially high reward. I think we could've done the trade with a 3rd next year instead of a 2nd, but I'm excited to see what Darnold can do with a real team around him. At worst, the Panthers get another year of Teddy-like QB play, which is what we expected anyway.

I think it shows that they were looking at someone like Lance or the Alabama QB (forget his name) this year but their intel showed that neither would be available for them and the price to get into a better position was too high.  If that's the case then it's a no-brainer move for them.  If they're wrong and a QB they covet does slip then they have to draft him regardless of Darnold's feelings.  It's more like an insurance policy.

19 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I think it shows that they were looking at someone like Lance or the Alabama QB (forget his name) this year but their intel showed that neither would be available for them and the price to get into a better position was too high.  If that's the case then it's a no-brainer move for them.  If they're wrong and a QB they covet does slip then they have to draft him regardless of Darnold's feelings.  It's more like an insurance policy.

Michael McCorkle "Mac" Jones