Jump to content

NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror


CS85
 Share

Recommended Posts

The fact people praise Tomlin for always having a “competitive” team, and “never having a losing season”, proves the point that he has underachieved. 
 

Compare his regular season record to his playoff record. 
I think that speaks for itself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

With the talent the Steelers had over his tenure, you really think it’s fine that he’s only had 1 Super Bowl win over a decade ago? 

 

Yes.  It's difficult to win in the NFL, particularly when the buzzsaw in New England was active and in their conference.

 

Without looking, I'd guess only the Patriots have won more than one Super Bowl in that time depending on whether the Giants first Super Bowl over New England falls in that window.

 

Quote

He wasted prime AB & Bell. 

 

No he didn't.  He won 55 games over a four year span with those two, won his division three times, and played in a conference championship game.  Being a Patriots fan has completely warped your viewpoint here.  Not every other team plays in the Super Bowl every single year.  And you act like Pittsburgh was the only team with good skill position players in that time.

 

Quote

Losing to teams like Jacksonville in the divisional round is underachieving. 

 

Wouldn't that same Jacksonville team have beaten the Patriots in the AFC Championship game if not for a blown call that erased a Jacksonville TD?

 

Quote

Sure he’ll give you a consistently good regular season, but when it counts he almost always fails.

 

Weird... so does everybody but Belichick.  Come on, guy.

 

Quote

And saying he won the SuperBowl Bowl because of Holmes isn’t much different than saying The Giants won because of Tyree. 
Without either of those plays they likely don’t win. 

 

So every championship where a guy made a great play gets disregarded as luck?  You understand that's ridiculous, right?

 

edit to add my team's had Vance Joseph and Vic Fangio the last four years as head coaches.  I would love Tomlin in Denver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

The fact people praise Tomlin for always having a “competitive” team, and “never having a losing season”, proves the point that he has underachieved. 

How? Having a competitive team and not posting a losing record for 14 straight years is very difficult to do in the NFL. Not to mention they've been in a division with another very consistent team during that span - the Ravens. It isn't like they are the Patriots of the last 20 years beating up on the Jets, Dolphins, and playoff-drought Bills. 

 

33 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Compare his regular season record to his playoff record. 
I think that speaks for itself. 

He has a .650 record in the regular season and a .500 record in the playoffs. I guess I don't see the problem? Playoff games mean you're playing some of the best teams in the league, they are not easy to win. 

 

I really can't believe I am defending a Steelers coach this much, but I will always give Tomlin his credit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With as consistently good as the Steelers have been, you would have expected them to win or at least have made a SuperBowl the past decade, right? They’ve only made the Conference Championship once since 2010.
 

If you want a coach that will ensure your team has a consistently good regular season, Tomlin is your guy no doubt. 
If you want someone that can get you through the playoffs though......ehhh. 
Like I said, his playoff record speaks for itself. 
He’s Jason Garrett with a ring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't the Seahawks sign Pete Carroll to an extension? He's won one Super Bowl and lost one. Where's  was the criticism there? Hell, now that Brady left the Patriots ... and went on to with the Super Bowl, you have to wonder if Hoodie Bill is really not the genius we thought we was.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

If you want a coach that will ensure your team has a consistently good regular season, Tomlin is your guy no doubt. 
If you want someone that can get you through the playoffs though......ehhh. 
Like I said, his playoff record speaks for itself. 

So you really think the Steelers should move on from a proven winning coach and dive into the world of unknown first-time head coaches? Or see if they get lucky with a retread? 

 

56lnu3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, selby56 said:

As a Browns fan that lives in Pittsburgh I will never understand the hate Tomlin gets in this city

 

Having spent a few years in western PA, I completely understand why a significant portion of the population hates him.  Hint - it's not because he's underachieving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, selby56 said:

So you really think the Steelers should move on from a proven winning coach and dive into the world of unknown first-time head coaches? Or see if they get lucky with a retread? 

 

56lnu3.jpg

If he was on any other team he probably would have been fired or let go by now. 
Even the Cowboys got rid of Garrett. 

I’m not denying he’s a great coach, my point is for such a good coach he should have done far, far better than he has with what he had to work with. 
That loss to Cleveland was peak playoff Tomlin. 
 

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

Didn't the Seahawks sign Pete Carroll to an extension? He's won one Super Bowl and lost one. Where's  was the criticism there? Hell, now that Brady left the Patriots ... and went on to with the Super Bowl, you have to wonder if Hoodie Bill is really not the genius we thought we was.... 

Again proving my point.

Seahawks, Broncos, Chiefs have all made more Super Bowls in the past decade than the Steelers. 
And they have been nowhere near as consistent for as long, or have had the amount of talent Pittsburgh has had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BBTV said:

 

Having spent a few years in western PA, I completely understand why a significant portion of the population hates him.  Hint - it's not because he's underachieving.

I think I know what you're hinting at...

 

 

 

 

he doesn't like fries on his sandwiches! ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, selby56 said:

I think I know what you're hinting at...

 

 

 

 

he doesn't like fries on his sandwiches! ;)

I think he once referred to the use of "yinz" as "rather odd and something I personally won't partake in" which is of course a crime usually punishable by a minimum of 5 years cleaning south side pub bathrooms

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

If you want someone that can get you through the playoffs though......ehhh. 

 

Okay... lets do this.  Who's been better?  It took Andy Reid getting a generational QB to get over the hump, and he has his own notable playoff failures.  John Harbaugh has a slightly better record, but his own postseason failures and the same number of rings.  Sean Payton?  Mike McCarthy?  Pete Carroll?

 

Again, your perspective has been warped the Patriots success.  You don't understand how depressing NFL head coaching searches are.

 

21 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Seahawks, Broncos, Chiefs have all made more Super Bowls in the past decade than the Steelers. 
And they have been nowhere near as consistent for as long, or have had the amount of talent Pittsburgh has had. 

 

Seahawks and Chiefs also had elite QB's on rookie deals during those runs while the Broncos had Peyton Manning.

 

How is what Carroll has done in Seattle since Russell Wilson got paid that much different from Tomlin?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

If he was on any other team he probably would have been fired or let go by now. 
Even the Cowboys got rid of Garrett. 

I’m not denying he’s a great coach, my point is for such a good coach he should have done far, far better than he has with what he had to work with. 
That loss to Cleveland was peak playoff Tomlin. 
 

Again proving my point.

Seahawks, Broncos, Chiefs have all made more Super Bowls in the past decade than the Steelers. 
And they have been nowhere near as consistent for as long, or have had the amount of talent Pittsburgh has had. 

And because of the inconsistency they have gone through multiple coaches. When only 1 team can win a super bowl any year as long as you consistently win that’s really all an owner can ask for. Now if Tomlin ever has a bad season like the Broncos or the chiefs I can easily see the Steelers moving on. But when you have something that already works, you shouldn’t change it for something that might work maybe, or go on a sting of loser coaches trying to find a guy who was as good as Tomlin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

With the talent the Steelers had over his tenure, you really think it’s fine that he’s only had 1 Super Bowl win over a decade ago? 
 

He wasted prime AB & Bell. 
 

Losing to teams like Jacksonville in the divisional round is underachieving. 

 

Sure he’ll give you a consistently good regular season, but when it counts he almost always fails.
 

And saying he won the SuperBowl Bowl because of Holmes isn’t much different than saying The Giants won because of Tyree. 
Without either of those plays they likely don’t win. 

AB wasted AB. The guy went out of the way to make everything about him, even before recording the locker room and tossing kids bikes around. Tomlin has dealt with a lot of dysfunctional players and kept most of it in house. Not too many coaches can deal with those kinds of headaches and still win games, let alone not have a losing season. He's also had to do it with a quarterback that's slightly more mobile than a one day old puppy and wide receivers that couldn't catch pneumonia last year, let alone the ball. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NormMacdonald said:

I think he once referred to the use of "yinz" as "rather odd and something I personally won't partake in" which is of course a crime usually punishable by a minimum of 5 years cleaning south side pub bathrooms

Don't want to sidetrack this thread too much, but I just don't get "yinz" at all - especially when I hear it from someone in their 20's or 30's. Like I can maybe understand hearing it from an 80 year-old that lives in a South Side Slopes house passed down four generations...but if you're a 22-year old from Cranberry saying "yinz" you have to just be forcing it at that point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, See Red said:

Okay... lets do this.  Who's been better?  It took Andy Reid getting a generational QB to get over the hump, and he has his own notable playoff failures.  John Harbaugh has a slightly better record, but his own postseason failures and the same number of rings.  Sean Payton?  Mike McCarthy?  Pete Carroll?

 

Again, your perspective has been warped the Patriots success.  You don't understand how depressing NFL head coaching searches are.

It has nothing to do with the Patriots.

Name me a team that has had as much talent as Pittsburg over the years. 

It's not insane to say they should have been more successful then they were. 

 

Guess what happened when coaches like Reid & Arians finally got a talented team around them? They won a Super Bowl. 

Tomlin has had that for over a decade and has only made one, with his only win being 12 years ago. 

24 minutes ago, See Red said:

Seahawks and Chiefs also had elite QB's on rookie deals during those runs while the Broncos had Peyton Manning.

 

How is what Carroll has done in Seattle since Russell Wilson got paid that much different from Tomlin?

Maybe because Carroll actually made 2 Super Bowls in the past decade while Tomlin made 1. 

Same with Denver, Kubiak & Fox are no Tomlin, but they both made the Super Bowl. 

 

I don't get why you're ok with settling when the expectation (at least with Tomlin) is a Super Bowl. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

 

Having spent a few years in western PA, I completely understand why a significant portion of the population hates him.  Hint - it's not because he's underachieving.

He prefers Hunt's ketchup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

It has nothing to do with the Patriots.

Name me a team that has had as much talent as Pittsburg over the years. 

It's not insane to say they should have been more successful then they were. 

 

By what metric are they that much more talented than other teams?  Is your perception that they're more talented because they win more than other teams?

 

Quote

Guess what happened when coaches like Reid & Arians finally got a talented team around them? They won a Super Bowl. 

Tomlin has had that for over a decade and has only made one, with his only win being 12 years ago. 

Maybe because Carroll actually made 2 Super Bowls in the past decade while Tomlin made 1. 

Same with Denver, Kubiak & Fox are no Tomlin, but they both made the Super Bowl. 

 

I don't get why you're ok with settling when the expectation (at least with Tomlin) is a Super Bowl. 

 

I genuinely don't understand your argument.  You're arguing these coaches won a Super Bowl so they're better than Tomlin who... won a Super Bowl?

 

You think these Chiefs teams are the first talented teams Andy Reid ever coached?  How young were you when he coached for the Eagles?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, See Red said:

By what metric are they that much more talented than other teams?  Is your perception that they're more talented because they win more than other teams?

The players they’ve had. 
Ben, Brown, juju, Bell. Etc. 

They were consistently a top team for a reason. 
 

15 minutes ago, See Red said:

I genuinely don't understand your argument.  You're arguing these coaches won a Super Bowl so they're better than Tomlin who... won a Super Bowl?

When was the last time those coaches won or even made a super bowl? 
Now when was the last time Tomlin made or won a Super Bowl?

Do you understand yet? 
 

For all of Tomlin’s “sustained success” None of it has translated to the playoffs. 
 

15 minutes ago, See Red said:

You think these Chiefs teams are the first talented teams Andy Reid ever coached?  How young were you when he coached for the Eagles?

Thank you again for proving my point.

Reid’s Eagles made consecutive NFC Championships. 
Tomlin has made 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

The players they’ve had. 
Ben, Brown, juju, Bell. Etc. 

They were consistently a top team for a reason. 

 

Okay.  So you think Ben's a great player?

 

His TD/Int ratio goes from 2:1 in the regular season to 1:1 in the playoffs, his Completion % drops, his TD% drops, his INT% doubles, his yards per attempt drops, and his QB rating takes a significant drop.

 

That doesn't make him not a great player?  More importantly, you don't see how the franchise QB being objectively worse in the postseason than in the regular season makes it a bit difficult for Tomlin to win in the postseason?

 

Speaking of Bell, he didn't play in the 2014 or 2015 playoffs and left the 2016 AFC Championship game in the first quarter with a groin injury.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, See Red said:

 

Okay.  So you think Ben's a great player?

 

His TD/Int ratio goes from 2:1 in the regular season to 1:1 in the playoffs, his Completion % drops, his TD% drops, his INT% doubles, his yards per attempt drops, and his QB rating takes a significant drop.

 

That doesn't make him not a great player?  More importantly, you don't see how the franchise QB being objectively worse in the postseason than in the regular season makes it a bit difficult for Tomlin to win in the postseason?

 

Speaking of Bell, he didn't play in the 2014 or 2015 playoffs and left the 2016 AFC Championship game in the first quarter with a groin injury.

Are we denying that Ben is a Hall of Fame player now? 
 

You again just proved my point of how consistently terrible the Steelers have been in the playoffs. 
They’re fantastic in the regular season, but once the playoffs start they constantly get humiliated. 
 

What the excuse for getting torched by Blake Bortles? 
Getting humiliated by Tim Tebow? 
Or getting pantsed by a Cleveland team with their players (including their coach) out with COVID? 
You can’t put it all on Ben. Yeah he’s old & cooked, but he’s not the one coming up with the game plan that always fails. 
 

Tomlin is a great regular season coach, but in the playoffs he’s just plain bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.