NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

3 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Are we denying that Ben is a Hall of Fame player now?

I don't remember saying that.  You can't possible be arguing in good faith at this point.

I'm saying Ben Roethlisberger is a worse playoff QB than he is in the regular season.  This is argued by practically every single statistic of his being worse in the postseason than it is in the regular season.  This isn't debatable.  What I'm saying is that maybe your most important player not being a very good postseason player makes it more difficult to win in the postseason?

What the excuse for getting torched by Blake Bortles?

Bortles was no worse against New England when -- again I'll remind you -- the Jaguars would have won if not for a blown call.

Getting humiliated by Tim Tebow? 

I'm a Broncos fan.  That was a flukey game.  That whole season was flukey.  Not for nothing but the Mendenhall was out that game as was Ryan Clark, whose replacement gave up the TD to Demaryius Thomas.

Or getting pantsed by a Cleveland team with their players (including their coach) out with COVID

Did Tomlin turn the ball over five times?  Or was that Big Ben?

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, See Red said:

I don't remember saying that.  You can't possible be arguing in good faith at this point.

I'm saying Ben Roethlisberger is a worse playoff QB than he is in the regular season.  This is argued by practically every single statistic of his being worse in the postseason than it is in the regular season.  This isn't debatable.  What I'm saying is that maybe your most important player not being a very good postseason player makes it more difficult to win in the postseason?

You can't blame everything on Ben. The fact he performs so bad in the playoffs is also a reflection of Tomlin's efforts. He's the one that's coming up with the game plan, and is responsible for making adjustments during the game.

28 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

You can't blame everything on Ben. The fact he performs so bad in the playoffs is also a reflection of Tomlin's efforts. He's the one that's coming up with the game plan, and is responsible for making adjustments during the game.

You can’t game plan your way out of 5 turnovers by your quarterback

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31303703/nfl-owners-approve-replay-change-other-new-rules-2021-season

NFL owners approved a series of new rules Wednesday for the 2021 season, including one that will expand the influence of replay officials amid ongoing demands from coaches for more oversight of game-day officials.

Owners rejected more robust proposals for a full-time sky judge, including one from the Baltimore Ravens that would have created a booth umpire. Instead, owners took the more modest step of giving the existing replay officials -- who sit in the press box of each stadium -- the authority to consult with referees on certain "specific, objective aspects of a play when clear and obvious video evidence is present," according to the language of the rule.

Replay officials will not be able to throw flags or reverse calls on their own. But they can now offer referees advice based on what they've seen on broadcast replays in the areas of possession, completed or intercepted passes, the location of the ball relative to the boundary or end line, and whether a player is down by contact. Previously, replay officials had been limited to participating in plays that were under review. Coaches will not have to throw challenge flags to prompt that advice, which some replay officials have been giving referees informally for years.

Rich McKay, chairman of the NFL competition committee, said neither the committee nor owners felt comfortable with adding an additional official with full authority

Cowards.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Exactly. Just because a team wins doesn't mean the coach is great. As a Denver fan in the 80's, I know. The Broncos won in spite of Dan Reeves and his antiquated offensive system.

52 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Those 5 turnovers likely don't happen with a better gameplan. 

You think Ben was chucking them in the air for no reason?

Big Ben muffing snaps, and overthrowing receivers isn’t the result of game plan.

It's possible for Ben Roethlisberger to be a Hall of Fame quarterback and make some boneheaded decisions in a game. Joe Namath is somehow in the Hall of Fame even though he threw for 47 more interceptions than touchdowns and had a career win-loss record below .500.  Different era, sure, but the 2 rings help Big Ben. 

14 hours ago, See Red said:

This a dumb take.  Particularly the part about Santonio Holmes.

Hasn't had a losing record in 14 seasons, has won two-thirds of his games, and two Super Bowl appearances with a ring but yeah, the only thing he's been successful at is underachieving.

"The guy hasn't even won six super bowls like Belichick.  He's trash!"

Granted the Browns and the Bengals are usually the Browns and the Bengals, but I'd hardly describe Baltimore as a band of slapdicks during his tenure and Marvin Lewis at least had the Bengals competent usually.  Certainly he's done this with tougher competition than Belichick has had to deal with.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 hours ago, Red Comet said:

It's possible for Ben Roethlisberger to be a Hall of Fame quarterback and make some boneheaded decisions in a game. Joe Namath is somehow in the Hall of Fame even though he threw for 47 more interceptions than touchdowns and had a career win-loss record below .500.  Different era, sure, but the 2 rings help Big Ben. 

By God that's Brett Favre's music.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 4/21/2021 at 4:17 PM, AustinFromBoston said:

Do you understand yet? 

Thank you again for proving my point.

Please stop saying crap like this. It's embarrassing.

No one has "proved your point." Because you're wrong. Therefore your point can't be proved. 

Do you understand yet?

18 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Please stop saying crap like this. It's embarrassing.

No one has "proved your point." Because you're wrong. Therefore your point can't be proved. 

Do you understand yet?

Unless you can point me to the Super Bowl(s) Tomlin won with The Steelers over the past 10 or so years, I’m not the one wrong here. 

17 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Unless you can point me to the Super Bowl(s) Tomlin won with The Steelers over the past 10 or so years, I’m not the one wrong here. 

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were making a list of the coaches who had won Superbowls in the last ten years. I missed that discussion, apparently. I thought you were spouting a completely subjective opinion about who is and isn't a coach worthy of extending, and telling other people how their opposite opinion was somehow proving your point.

22 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Those 5 turnovers likely don't happen with a better gameplan. 

What part of the gameplan was responsible for the center snapping the ball into the endzone? I'll hang up and listen.

BB52Big.jpg

38 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were making a list of the coaches who had won Superbowls in the last ten years. I missed that discussion, apparently. I thought you were spouting a completely subjective opinion about who is and isn't a coach worthy of extending, and telling other people how their opposite opinion was somehow proving your point.

I was talking about how Tomlin significantly underachieved with The Steelers teams he's had the past decade or so. 

And people bring up how Andy Reid & Pete Carroll made consecutive Conference championships with both proves my point because Tomlin only made 1 Conference championship and 0 Super Bowls with the recent core he had. 

McCarthy is another good example, how many Conference Games did he & Rodgers make? They even fired him and GB still made it there again last year.  

But apparently expecting so much as a single Super Bowl appearance from one of the top teams of the past decade  is some "warped sense of reality". 

If you don't think Tomlin underachieved, IDK what else to say, teams don't play the season just to go 11-5 or 12-4 every year.  

51 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were making a list of the coaches who had won Superbowls in the last ten years.

Is that what we're doing now?  Cool, I'll play:

5a8e3180e4dc3.image.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/21/2021 at 9:55 AM, See Red said:

But they resigned a coach who has won them a Super Bowl.  I don't really get the criticism.  Sure they underachieve on occasion but he's won two-thirds of his games and has never had a losing record.  If I was a Steelers fan, I'd be pretty happy with how the last 15 or so years have gone.  No way I'd move on from a coach who has gone 145-78-1 and just won 12 games for the crapshoot that is hiring a coach in the NFL.

On 4/21/2021 at 11:09 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Nearly every fan in the NFL would trade their team's record of success for the Tomlin Steelers. I know I would.

On 4/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, selby56 said:

How? Having a competitive team and not posting a losing record for 14 straight years is very difficult to do in the NFL. Not to mention they've been in a division with another very consistent team during that span - the Ravens. It isn't like they are the Patriots of the last 20 years beating up on the Jets, Dolphins, and playoff-drought Bills. 

He has a .650 record in the regular season and a .500 record in the playoffs. I guess I don't see the problem? Playoff games mean you're playing some of the best teams in the league, they are not easy to win. 

I really can't believe I am defending a Steelers coach this much, but I will always give Tomlin his credit. 

Back to the question, "why do Steelers fans hate this guy?". I'd gladly take Tomlin's  last 14 years for my team and I'd probably retire from NFL fanhood with a run like that. They've had it better than any team not named the New England Patriots. Steelers fans hate him because they are the worst people alive. My best friend is a steelers fan and when it comes to football he is the worst person I know. They are, without exaggeration, the biggest babies in sports. "WAHHH he only won one super bowl and it was in 2008 wahhh we should have 3 more super bowls." What're you, 13? Grow up, you spoiled children. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Ask yourself would you want 14 years of “consistency”, only to fall apart in the playoffs year after year?

Or would you rather actually make & possibly win a Super Bowl?  

Garrett & McCarthy were also pretty consistent coaches too (McCarthy actually had more success than Tomlin making the conference game multiple times) but they both got fired. 
Only reason Tomlin hasn’t is because the Steelers never fire anyone. 

Archived