NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Did you really say Tampa?!?!? No matter which team you're talking about, they had stacked defenses that saved the offenses backsides during the playoffs and had offensive players come in last year who said, "I'll take less for a shot at a ring this year"!

How many times has that new coach come in and done better than the one that got canned? Almost never! 

Tomlin (spelling) is your hill, that you keep running back to instead of letting it go. It's alright to admit you're not right about everything. You also keep avoiding the information that multiple people put out because it contradicts your statements and you don't have an actual rebuttal except to say he should have beaten the Patriots more. You know who else should have done that? Everyone else in the whole damn league. 

Payton's teams have been one or two seeds the majority of the time they've made the playoffs, they should have more wins than teams that are the third seed and below. Statistics alone say that. 

McVay gets a lot of stick because the wunderkind got into the Super Bowl after his team committed a pass interference that wasn't called. Then to top it off, Mr. Offense only put up 3 points in the most annoyingly boring Super Bowl in history. 

Pittsburgh obviously thinks he's good enough to keep coaching and don't feel that going another direction makes sense for them. If THEIR fans want to be mad about it, OK, makes sense. Why you're so worked up about it makes no sense. You should be happily looking forward to seeing them in the playoffs. 

As I’ve said, Tomlin’s playoff record speaks for itself. He’s had more talent than most of those coaches and yet he’s won extraordinarily less then them. I don’t understand how I’m wrong for saying he’s underachieved with what he had. 
I don’t give Payton or McVeigh as much crap because they’ve at least actually won a few playoff games. 
You can say they underachieved too, but Tomlin is still a more egregious example. 
Bringing up the Patriots is a BS excuse since more than half the time he never even played them. Because he was too busy playing down to competition he should have beaten. 

with his playoff record, most teams would have fired him by now. 
Pittsburgh hasn’t only because they simply never fire anyone. 

And the only reason I’m so “upset” over this is because this is he first place I’ve seen that so vigorously defend Tomlin, and acting like it’s ok to coast on a Super Bowl you won over a decade ago when you had opportunities to win more. 

56 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

Hey, there's actual NFL offseason news now!

I'm gonna be honest, I don't hate this trade.  My initial reaction was shock that we actually traded him to KC, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it.  This is a guy who didn't want to be here with one year left on his contract and we got a 1st round pick for him, after only investing a 3rd on him 3 years ago.  Giving up our second this year hurts a lot but EDC can easily use 31 to trade with a team desperate to get back into the first if he wants a second rounder plus more.

Still sucks that we made our chief AFC rival better but I'm not sure if we would've gotten anything better on draft day.

Your chief AFC rival is either the Bills or the *ahem* Steelers.(Browns and Pats as maybes). The media like to make it Mahomes V Jackson, but Lamar and his crew have yet to prove themselves against you.

3 hours ago, Sport said:

HE WON A SUPER BOWL! If my team’s coach won a super bowl I wouldn’t care if he took a literal dump at midfield every game for the next 15 years. 

Everyone says this.  Everyone.  "I'd trade 10 years of crap just for one Bowl". 

Then you get the bowl, and guess what?  You still want to enjoy watching football on Sunday, and after a while, the 'Bowl doesn't matter and what you're watching now does.  

Take it from an Eagles fan that suffered through 14 years of Andy Reid being very good but not getting it done, then they finally got it done, and now they're horrible again, coach fired, etc. etc. etc.

He's not very good at making his points, but the dude isn't totally wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

43 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

And the only reason I’m so “upset” over this is because this is he first place I’ve seen that so vigorously defend Tomlin, and acting like it’s ok to coast on a Super Bowl you won over a decade ago when you had opportunities to win more. 

So any coach that made the playoffs in the last 10 years but didn’t win the SB must be fired. So if your name is not Bill Belichick, Pete Caroll, Andy Reid, Doug Peterson, Gary Kubiak, Tom Coughlin, or Jim Harbaugh, you must be fired.

Edit: only the Jets have not made the playoffs since 2011. So 32-7 (SB winners) - 1 (Jets) =  24 coaches who need to be fired.

5 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

So any coach that made the playoffs in the last 10 years but didn’t win the SB must be fired. So if your name is not Bill Belichick, Pete Caroll, Andy Reid, Doug Peterson, Gary Kubiak, Tom Coughlin, or Jim Harbaugh, you must be fired.

If they had the talent around them to do it during those 10 years, why shouldn’t they be? 

Coaches aren’t hired just to win 12 or 14 games, they’re hired to win the Super Bowl. 
Every coach that gets hired, no matter how bad the team, will tell you that. 

Why all this talk about Tomlin's employment security? Might as well discuss Kevin Colbert's job security as well.

Look, the Steelers just have a different philosophy when it comes to how they employ their coaches.  Perhaps, they could have made some changes all this time. However, we are not talking about the Detroit Lions here. It was not as if the Steelers have not fallen to 5-11 or worse during Tomlin's run. Look at the Steelers records over the last 50 years. Their worst record has been 5-11 and that happened once. They did not have 1-15, 2-14 seasons to get a top draft pick. 

The Patriots had a great 19-year run of success, but we should not forget that they had to wait 10 years between Super Bowl wins (while losing to the Giants twice). I don't recall people calling for Belichick's head during that time. 

I saw, I came, I left.

22 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Edit: only the Jets have not made the playoffs since 2011. So 32-7 (SB winners) - 1 (Jets) =  24 coaches who need to be fired

Are you seriously this obtuse? 
How many of those 24 teams actually had competitive teams capable of winning a Super Bowl? 

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

At least 12 each year

And every one of those 12 teams had a 10 year SuperBowl window?

Do you not understand why coaches get fired? Because they fail to deliver, either through losing seasons or having nothing to show for the SuperBowl caliber team they had. 

44 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Are you seriously this obtuse? 
How many of those 24 teams actually had competitive teams capable of winning a Super Bowl? 

11 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

well I consider myself right (90-degrees), not obtuse. 

@DEAD said it for me.

And the Steelers should not fire Mike Tomlin for not getting to a Super Bowl. It is incredibly difficult and sometimes not even the best teams get there. It requires skill and luck, Pittsburgh has not had the latter(mostly because a team located in eastern Massachusetts has sucked all of it up).

9 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

@DEAD said it for me.

And the Steelers should not fire Mike Tomlin for not getting to a Super Bowl. It is incredibly difficult and sometimes not even the best teams get there. It requires skill and luck, Pittsburgh has not had the latter(mostly because a team located in eastern Massachusetts has sucked all of it up).

Ah, so it's another team's fault that Pittsburgh constantly underachieves in the playoffs? Despite the fact they barely ever played them. 

Yes getting to the Super Bowl is difficult, but guess what? That's what coaches are hired to do. 

What in the past 10 or so years has shown you Tomlin is still capable of doing that? 

7 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Ah, so it's another team's fault that Pittsburgh constantly underachieves in the playoffs? Despite the fact they barely ever played them. 

Yes getting to the Super Bowl is difficult, but guess what? That's what coaches are hired to do. 

What in the past 10 or so years has shown you Tomlin is still capable of doing that? 

The fact that he kept AB, Bell, JuJu, Ben, and other’s egos in check, while never having a losing season. That type of sustainable success is rare in the league.

Second, he’s done it before. One does not simply forget how to coach a team to the Super Bowl. 

And third, I was just making a joke about the Pats. My main point was that they weren’t lucky, and it takes some luck to win it all.

Just now, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

sustainable success

Depends on one's definition of success.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Crabcake said:

Hey, there's actual NFL offseason news now!

I'm gonna be honest, I don't hate this trade.  My initial reaction was shock that we actually traded him to KC, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it.  This is a guy who didn't want to be here with one year left on his contract and we got a 1st round pick for him, after only investing a 3rd on him 3 years ago.  Giving up our second this year hurts a lot but EDC can easily use 31 to trade with a team desperate to get back into the first if he wants a second rounder plus more.

Still sucks that we made our chief AFC rival better but I'm not sure if we would've gotten anything better on draft day.

Seattle, this is what you should've done for Russell Wilson after the dumbest playcall in Super Bowl history. Then again, that game was down to the wire while this previous Super Bowl was 3 hours of The Hulk slamming Loki around so maybe Seattle didn't feel the immediate need to protect their superstar QB. The Chiefs need new offensive linemen and I'm glad they're addressing it. Even if we're just making a new rival stronger. Eh, honestly? I didn't watch half the regular season games this year due to lack of great competition. I'm actually okay with this. 

6 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Seahawks & KC haven’t had the same level of sustained success the Steelers have had with Tomlin, and yet they’ve both Have had more success than him that’s the point. 

So was it Ben’s fault that Juju wasn’t disciplined for his tick Tock crap? 

Was it Ben’s fault “the Browns are the Browns” and “they’re nameless grey faces”?

It was Ben’s fault they completely overlooked Jacksonville? 
Football is a team sport, you can’t solely blame Ben & the other players when they constantly get out coached time & again. 

So just to be clear, you’re saying you would prefer your team not win a Super Bowl, and just be good enough to lose in the playoff year after year? 

Sorry for the double-post but what the hell do you call showing up to the last 3 AFC Conference Championship games then? 

18 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The fact that he kept AB, Bell, JuJu, Ben, and other’s egos in check, while never having a losing season. That type of sustainable success is rare in the league.

Second, he’s done it before. One does not simply forget how to coach a team to the Super Bowl. 

And third, I was just making a joke about the Pats. My main point was that they weren’t lucky, and it takes some luck to win it all.

And guess what? Both AB & Bell have made it further on different teams than either did with Tomlin. 

It's also been 10 years since he last made the Super Bowl. Hardly any coaches get that much leeway.  

The window is almost certainly shut for them now too. Ben's old & cooked and they don't have any replacement for him or any of the other older players.

The Browns are no longer "The Browns" & Baltimore is still a super bowl team. The Division is a lot tougher for them now. 

So I'll ask again, what exactly has Tomlin shown in the past few years to prove he can win a Super Bowl? 

Archived