NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

4 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Then so do plenty of owners/GM’s that fire coaches after records like that. 

You must consider Jeff Fisher good couch since he went 8-8 a lot of time. 

8-8 with a great team is not a success by any measure. I don’t know how crazy you have to be to believe that.

But sure, keep pretending .500 records that get most coaches fired is ok in your fantasy. I’m sure there are many coaches that wish that was the case. 

Ssssssssttttttttoooooooopppppppp.

In fairness, the Rams would have retained Fisher for longer had he not decided to treat year one in LA as a complete "Mulligan" season and basically not actually do his job at any point during that season. (That and it becoming apparent that Los Angeles had little patience for the Rams flailing about on the field.)

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Did jeff fisher ever win a super bowl? Jeff fisher was consistently 8-8 and those were the better seasons, Tomlins worst is 8-8 is the difference.

8-8 isn't good no matter how you spin it. It's hilarious you're using that to defend him when the teams he had were better than that. 

You're also under this ridiculous mindset that 1 super bowl win over a decade ago excuses coming up short for the rest of his career when he had super bowl caliber teams.

"A well run organization" doesn't care what you accomplished 10 years ago, they want to know what you accomplished now. Gruden with Tampa is another example. They didn't give a :censored: he won them a Super Bowl nearly a decade ago. After a few bad seasons he was kicked to the curb.   

3 8-8 seasons & 3 playoff wins since 2010.

A "well run organization" doesn't keep a guy on after all that if they're expecting to win a Super Bowl. 

Yeah, basically being the 90's Bills in your own conference totally means that you're overrated. 

Except Marv Levy is in the Hall of Fame. And so will Mike Tomlin. 

14 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

8-8 isn't good no matter how you spin it. It's hilarious you're using that to defend him when the teams he had were better than that. 

You're also under this ridiculous mindset that 1 super bowl win over a decade ago excuses coming up short for the rest of his career when he had super bowl caliber teams.

"A well run organization" doesn't care what you accomplished 10 years ago, they want to know what you accomplished now. Gruden with Tampa is another example. They didn't give a :censored: he won them a Super Bowl nearly a decade ago. After a few bad seasons he was kicked to the curb.   

A "well run organization" doesn't keep a guy on after all that if they're expecting to win a Super Bowl. 

You don’t know when to quit, do you?

23 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

My head hurts reading this... Everything about this... Why? 

3 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Name me 1 other head coach with Tomlin's Playoff record that has kept their job as long as him. 

I'll wait. 

Dude, the reason I said that was due to you bring it up so much. Relax okay? 

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Name me 1 other head coach with Tomlin's Playoff record that has kept their job as long as him. 

I'll wait. 

Bill Cowher was 8-9 prior to that Super Bowl championship run in his penultimate season (year 14!) and final playoff appearance.

He's also in the Hall of Fame and fanbases kept talking about luring him out of retirement for years following his departure.

7 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

You keep doing this obvious false equivalence thing. Gruden won the Super Bowl and then went 7-9, 5-11, 11-5 (lost WC), 4-12, 9-7 (lost WC), 9-7 missed playoffs. He had a lot of duds and Bucs teams that stopped being competitive. That has not been the case with the Steelers. They're never bad or easy to play, they've never gone 4-12, as much I'd like them to. 

Again making me say nice things about the Steelers - saying they're not a well run organization is, no fooling, one of the ten dumbest things I've read on this website. They're basically the model NFL franchise and their records back it up. They've been a factor in every season I can remember, they haven't been truly mediocre since the 80's and haven't been terrible since the 60's. There's no franchise, Patriots included, that I'd rather trade the last 50 years with.

14 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I'll wait. 

You've said your piece...over and over and over. Now you just want to argue. Time for you to move on to a new ridiculous take.

11 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I'll wait. 

Sean Payton is 143-81 in the regular season and 9-8 in the playoffs, with one Super Bowl. His worst season is 7-9 (done 4 times).

Mike Tomlin is 145-78-1 in the regular season and 8-8 in the playoffs, with one Super Bowl. His worst season is 8-8 (done 3 times).

Payton has had his job 1 year longer than Tomlin. If you're going to argue that having one more playoff win (with an extra season at the helm) is the difference maker between a bad coach and a good one be my guest, but they've had nearly identical careers and no one thinks Payton should be fired.

4 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Sean Payton is 143-81 in the regular season and 9-8 in the playoffs, with one Super Bowl. His worst season is 7-9 (done 4 times).

Mike Tomlin is 145-78-1 in the regular season and 8-8 in the playoffs, with one Super Bowl. His worst season is 8-8 (done 3 times).

Payton has had his job 1 year longer than Tomlin. If you're going to argue that having one more playoff win (with an extra season at the helm) is the difference maker between a bad coach and a good one be my guest, but they've had nearly identical careers and no one thinks Payton should be fired.

Well, I think Payton should be fired, but it's not because I think he's a bad coach.

Honestly if you want to diagnose Tomlin's "underperformance" I think it boils down to this.  Ben Roethlisberger, for most of Tomlin's tenure, has been too good a quarterback to get rid of (He's turned into a pumpkin the last year or two and the Steelers really SHOULD move on, but...), and at the same time, not as good a quarterback as Tom Brady.  And them's the breaks.

I guess it just depends on if you look at The careers of guys like Ben & Brees and expected them to win more than a single ring? Most people would consider that a waste when they're 2 first ballot hall of famers. 

If you think any self respecting Saints or Steelers fan is going to say they think winning only 1 Super Bowl was ok & they shouldn't have made more, I have a bridge to sell you. 

As much as I wish Super Bowl XL didn't happen, Roethlisberger does have two super bowl rings. 

Again, you have Patriots Brain. You don't seem to grasp how hard it is to get to and win Super Bowls and your standard is stupid high. If a player wins one in their career then mission very accomplished. If they don't win more than that it's not a failure.

Ask Jazz fans about Malone and Stockton, or Sixers and Suns fans about Charles Barkley or Knicks fans about Ewing.

:censored: sometimes happens when you have hall of famers but the other guy has generational all-time talent.

24 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I guess it just depends on if you look at The careers of guys like Ben & Brees and expected them to win more than a single ring? Most people would consider that a waste when they're 2 first ballot hall of famers. 

If you think any self respecting Saints or Steelers fan is going to say they think winning only 1 Super Bowl was ok & they shouldn't have made more, I have a bridge to sell you. 

Now I know you know nothing about football. Ben Rothlisberger  has 2 Super Bowl rings. You also keep calling him a first ballot Hall of Famer when he’s not, He’s a fringe first ballot at best and that is solely because he’s a quarterback. 

10 minutes ago, Sport said:

As much as I wish Super Bowl XL didn't happen, Roethlisberger does have two super bowl rings. 

Again, you have Patriots Brain. You don't seem to grasp how hard it is to get to and win Super Bowls and your standard is stupid high. If a player wins one in their career then mission very accomplished. If they don't win more than that it's not a failure.

It has nothing to do with being a Patriots fan, that's just a pathetic excuse to hide how weak and ridiculous your argument is. 

If you're seriously going to look at the talent the Ben & Brees have and say they shouldn't have won more, you have a very deranged version of "success" and I'm sure nearly every fan of them would disagree. 

8 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Ask Jazz fans about Malone and Stockton, or Sixers and Suns fans about Charles Barkley or Knicks fans about Ewing.

:censored: sometimes happens when you have hall of famers but the other guy has generational all-time talent.

Are you agreeing with me? Or are you saying it's not a waste that they didn't win a title?