NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

14 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Steelers/Bills and Chiefs/Browns are much more attractive matchups than Bears/Rams.

They're just making up for SoFi's delayed in-person opening, huh? I can't think of any other reason for that to have the prime spot on week one.

Matthew Stafford's debut as the QB for the Rams against a team he knows very well in all the years in the NFC North? Plus, LA and CHI are two big markets.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

Matthew Stafford's debut as the QB for the Rams against a team he knows very well in all the years in the NFC North? Plus, LA and CHI are two big markets.

Counterpoint: the Bears suck, Stafford sucks, and Justin Fields is going to break a lot of hearts.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Counterpoint: the Bears suck, Stafford sucks, and Justin Fields is going to break a lot of hearts.

Do you know the 506 sports forums? They can help you understand this type of stuff. Why the NFL schedules certain games the way they do. That forum specializes in talking about this sort of thing, about teams being played on television and how they work the ratings.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:10 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Steelers/Bills and Chiefs/Browns are much more attractive matchups than Bears/Rams.

They're just making up for SoFi's delayed in-person opening, huh? I can't think of any other reason for that to have the prime spot on week one.

Probably.  I mean, the league most likely would want to show off Kroenke's fully armed and operational battle station.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NFL put a Monday Night Football game at Arrowhead once the renovations to the stadium were complete in 2010 despite the Chiefs winning 10 games combined the previous 3 seasons. 

NFL sure does love showing off new stadiums. 

EDIT: And furthermore, this is why the NFL is the most popular league in the US and will be for at least a generation to come. It markets EVERYTHING. The :censored:ing schedule release is a highly anticipated event for fans. The schedule. The stadiums are part of the marketing too. Hell, they've even managed to promote fans rooting for as many teams as possible with fantasy football because the more players from various teams a fan supports, the more likely they are to buy merch from multiple teams. The NFL is a marketing juggernaut and even with Goodell's less than competent reign that hasn't changed. I don't even think concussions are going to dent it much. Boxing seemed to be killed in popularity more by going heavily to PPV rather than CTE. 

On 5/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, Red Comet said:

Hell, they've even managed to promote fans rooting for as many teams as possible with fantasy football because the more players from various teams a fan supports, the more likely they are to buy merch from multiple teams.

I think fantasy players buying merchandise is a stretch. The NFL benefitting off fantasy with more eyeballs watching bad or insignificant games or higher season long TV sales is probably more realistic profit areas than a guy in Tacoma buying a Panthers jersey because Robby Anderson had a good fantasy day back in week 2.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:19 PM, Red Comet said:

The NFL put a Monday Night Football game at Arrowhead once the renovations to the stadium were complete in 2010 despite the Chiefs winning 10 games combined the previous 3 seasons. 

NFL sure does love showing off new stadiums. 

EDIT: And furthermore, this is why the NFL is the most popular league in the US and will be for at least a generation to come. It markets EVERYTHING. The :censored:ing schedule release is a highly anticipated event for fans. The schedule. The stadiums are part of the marketing too. Hell, they've even managed to promote fans rooting for as many teams as possible with fantasy football because the more players from various teams a fan supports, the more likely they are to buy merch from multiple teams. The NFL is a marketing juggernaut and even with Goodell's less than competent reign that hasn't changed. I don't even think concussions are going to dent it much. Boxing seemed to be killed in popularity more by going heavily to PPV rather than CTE. 

Unless I'm buying a jersey of my fantasy league team, I don't see how anyone could buy jerseys of multiple NFL teams just because of the players on their fantasy league team. Not saying some people aren't that big into fantasy sports to do it, it just doesn't make sense to me. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

52 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Well…ok…kinda random. How come we never heard that Ryan Kerrigan of all people was still a free agent.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31460990/washington-football-team-all-sacks-leader-ryan-kerrigan-joins-philadelphia-eagles

probably because he’s got nothing left so nobody cared?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Some Ravens fans (like myself) viewed him as a solid consolation prize if we didn’t sign Justin Houston, although that was always fan speculation and never any signs of concrete interest from the team like there have been with Houston. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Unless I'm buying a jersey of my fantasy league team, I don't see how anyone could buy jerseys of multiple NFL teams just because of the players on their fantasy league team. Not saying some people aren't that big into fantasy sports to do it, it just doesn't make sense to me. 

Personally I agree with you, but this was an actual NFL Shop commercial from the 2014 season.

If it warms your heart at all, it was widely ridiculed. 

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Personally I agree with you, but this was an actual NFL Shop commercial from the 2014 season.

If it warms your heart at all, it was widely ridiculed. 

What does this commercial have to do with fantasy team owners buying opposing teams’ merch?

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

What does this commercial have to do with fantasy team owners buying opposing teams’ merch?

The crazy idea that family members would ditch the family team for the Bengals is beyond belief.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

probably because he’s got nothing left so nobody cared?

I’m legitimately surprised he signed anywhere and didn’t retire. Like you said, he’s got nothing left. If he wanted a ring, it’s a bit of a weird choice to go to Philly.

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If keeper leagues were the norm, I could see it happening. Since most people have their fantasy players for only one year, though, I don't think they get that attached.

32 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I’m legitimately surprised he signed anywhere and didn’t retire. Like you said, he’s got nothing left. If he wanted a ring, it’s a bit of a weird choice to go to Philly.

Let's see how well this post ages come February.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Let’s see how that one ages

I don't get it.

4 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Maybe it doesn't fit the fantasy angle, but think it does fit from a somewhat broader perspective, the idea of football fans and purchasing team gear that isn't the team they root for. 

spacer.png

Archived