NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

5 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Maybe it doesn't fit the fantasy angle, but think it does fit from a somewhat broader perspective, the idea of football fans and purchasing team gear that isn't the team they root for. 

Fair point. But things like that are a rarity, and I doubt the NFL would push for that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Philly will not get a ring. So you saying@DNAsports’s comment aging poorly is in turn a comment that will age poorly itself.

I never said I disagreed with his comment.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Maybe it doesn't fit the fantasy angle, but think it does fit from a somewhat broader perspective, the idea of football fans and purchasing team gear that isn't the team they root for. 

I think they are more saying fans change allegiances as life happens like moving, starting a family, kids become fans of the local team, or team that’s good at the time. Not that they don’t root for the teams.

Aaaaannnnd it's official--not that anyone expected anything different.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Saw a headline saying “NFL team staffers believe Jaguars didn’t sign Tebow to win games.” Well duh. Clearly it’s to sell merchandise and tickets, Tebow doesn’t need to ever step on the field and they would get the same result.

35 minutes ago, dont care said:

Saw a headline saying “NFL team staffers believe Jaguars didn’t sign Tebow to win games.” Well duh. Clearly it’s to sell merchandise and tickets, Tebow doesn’t need to ever step on the field and they would get the same result.

The problem is, is Trevor struggles early, the “Tebow at QB” chants are only going to get louder, thus putting more pressure to on Lawrence to preform.

14 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The problem is, is Trevor struggles early, the “Tebow at QB” chants are only going to get louder, thus putting more pressure to on Lawrence to preform.

Then Trevor gets his first chance to overcome adversity in the pros. If chants for Tebow destroys the man, he was never going to be an elite QB.

2 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Then Trevor gets his first chance to overcome adversity in the pros. If chants for Tebow destroys the man, he was never going to be an elite QB.

and if he caves in Jacksonville, imagine how he'd handle adversity in New York.  He may have dodged a big bullet.  On the flip side, if he is a true star and capable of dealing with it, he has to wait five years before he can go to a legit NFL market and become something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There’s no way Tim Tebow makes it past the first couple of preseason games. If he is on the active roster or even the practice squad for the Jaguars by Week 1, I will buy a Tebow jersey. I just don’t see him doing anything other than making training camp attendance swell. 

On 5/22/2021 at 12:33 PM, BBTV said:

and if he caves in Jacksonville, imagine how he'd handle adversity in New York.  He may have dodged a big bullet.  On the flip side, if he is a true star and capable of dealing with it, he has to wait five years before he can go to a legit NFL market and become something.

And if he's the kind of star a Number 1 pick generally implies, then he's the kind of QB that can help turn a sad sack franchise into the legit NFL market that it was when Mark Brunell was under center. It's just a shame for him that he got picked by a team that would improve if they hired Bozo the Clown to be their next GM. 

16 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

And if he's the kind of star a Number 1 pick generally implies, then he's the kind of QB that can help turn a sad sack franchise into the legit NFL market that it was when Mark Brunell was under center. It's just a shame for him that he got picked by a team that would improve if they hired Bozo the Clown to be their next GM. 

I disagree, no one knows how Lawrence will respond to adversity since he never has. He’s never lost a regular season game since before high school. He has always been on a star studded team for that level. Never had to fight for success or played with mediocre talent around him. We’ve seen plenty of No. 1 picks struggle because they aren’t use to having not the best talent around them.

43 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

"Legit NFL markets" don't depend on the Mark Brunells of the world to keep them afloat.  I don't think there's any rational argument that even if they're able to sell out games to see Lawrence play and Tebow... do whatever he does, the market is major league.  Nothing personal against the fine people of Jasonville - it is what it is.

Jacksonville really is an oddball market as far as major leagues go; even Green Bay, for as tiny as it is by itself, has the excuse of also being the Wisconsin team on top of it.

But Florida already has two more successful NFL franchises with bigger fanbases, so the Jags really do stick out. Honestly, I wonder if keeping the Rams in LA and just awarding the franchise that was given to Jacksonville to St. Louis would've just worked out better for everyone except the small fanbase the Jags have managed to cultivate.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Reminder: the Jags only exist because St. Louis and Baltimore screwed up horrifically with their expansion bids. 

I remember how St. Louis screwed up, but Baltimore? I thought they were screwed over by the NFL.

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Jacksonville really is an oddball market as far as major leagues go; even Green Bay, for as tiny as it is by itself, has the excuse of also being the Wisconsin team on top of it.

But Florida already has two more successful NFL franchises with bigger fanbases, so the Jags really do stick out. Honestly, I wonder if keeping the Rams in LA and just awarding the franchise that was given to Jacksonville to St. Louis would've just worked out better for everyone except the small fanbase the Jags have managed to cultivate.

Jacksonville is close to the Georgia border.  I am not sure how many people live in SE Georgia and of those, who goes to Jaguar games. Jacksonville is about the same distance to Atlanta as it is to Miami.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Reminder: the Jags only exist because St. Louis and Baltimore screwed up horrifically with their expansion bids. 

... the bids, themselves,  must have been awful because  teams eventually relocated to those cities. (Nevermind what happened afterwards)

I saw, I came, I left.

12 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Jacksonville is about the same distance to Atlanta as it is to Miami.

and Atlanta is the same distance to Canada as it is to Miami.  Not relevant, just a fact I enjoy.

4 hours ago, DnBronc said:

I remember how St. Louis screwed up, but Baltimore? I thought they were screwed over by the NFL.

I don’t remember the ‘95 expansion process at all, so I don’t really know the story behind either of their screw-ups. The way it’s always been told to me was that Tagliabue was dead-set against a Baltimore franchise and so it never happened. He did make that museum remark after it all which I think helps feed that idea here in Baltimore. 

I did some very preliminary research on Baltimore’s bid in ‘95 and couldn’t find anything about how they screwed it up, but the whole thing fascinates me so if anyone has any solid info I’d love to hear it. I did find out that the Glazers were part of the team leading the charge for the Baltimore bid so maybe it was a blessing in disguise. 

spacer.png

Archived