NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

Just like the trend of remaking older movies quickly lost its novelty and grew wearisome, the trend of long-retired athletes trying to make comebacks is also wearing very thin. This time it’s former Giants RB Brandon Jacobs who wants to play DE now. 

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/brandon-jacobs-claims-serious-about-nfl-comeback-new-position-01f6qtmrxxme

On 5/23/2021 at 10:16 PM, Crabcake said:

I don’t remember the ‘95 expansion process at all, so I don’t really know the story behind either of their screw-ups. The way it’s always been told to me was that Tagliabue was dead-set against a Baltimore franchise and so it never happened. He did make that museum remark after it all which I think helps feed that idea here in Baltimore. 

I did some very preliminary research on Baltimore’s bid in ‘95 and couldn’t find anything about how they screwed it up, but the whole thing fascinates me so if anyone has any solid info I’d love to hear it. I did find out that the Glazers were part of the team leading the charge for the Baltimore bid so maybe it was a blessing in disguise. 

Apparently Tagliabue said his quote was taken out of context and he thought that spending taxpayer money on a stadium was a waste and that the money would be better spent on a museum.

Granted, this was in 2001 and he had 8 years to think on what he said. Aside from the fact that “What I said was taken out of context” has long been the most popular excuse for not owning up to saying things that are widely disliked, I agree with him on a a general level that people who have enough money to comfortably afford an NFL team should build their own stadiums and that taxpayer money is better spent on improving infrastructure than giving what amounts to welfare for billionaires.

6 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Apparently Tagliabue said his quote was taken out of context and he thought that spending taxpayer money on a stadium was a waste and that the money would be better spent on a museum.

Granted, this was in 2001 and he had 8 years to think on what he said. Aside from the fact that “What I said was taken out of context” has long been the most popular excuse for not owning up to saying things that are widely disliked, I agree with him on a a general level that people who have enough money to comfortably afford an NFL team should build their own stadiums and that taxpayer money is better spent on improving infrastructure than giving what amounts to welfare for billionaires.

Oh I definitely agree. As Keith Olbermann once said, “If these stadiums actually made money the owners would be paying for them themselves.” But you can’t act like Baltimore’s people were or are the only ones doing this. I’ve never been one to know the ins and outs of the economic or political side of stadium building, but I do know that Art Modell asking Baltimore for a new stadium wasn’t the first time that was done, and it won’t be the last. 

I also 100% think Tagliabue was trying to save face there. Of course, being from Baltimore certainly affects my view of Tagliabue, but what he said in 2001 kind of seems like something he had to say, seeing as Baltimore got a team after going around him and not through him (and then having that team end up be successful - not just in terms of support but in on-field product). Even if his statement was taken out of context, it’s not something you say to a football-starved city who had gone over a decade without a team. 

I still am genuinely curious how Baltimore screwed up its ‘95 bid though. If @SFGiants58 or anyone else has information or where I can look to find it myself I’d be interested. Failed expansion teams and expansion processes in general, especially from the 90’s, kind of fascinate me, and seeing how personal this one was, I’m definitely interested. 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

Oh I definitely agree. As Keith Olbermann once said, “If these stadiums actually made money the owners would be paying for them themselves.” But you can’t act like Baltimore’s people were or are the only ones doing this. I’ve never been one to know the ins and outs of the economic or political side of stadium building, but I do know that Art Modell asking Baltimore for a new stadium wasn’t the first time that was done, and it won’t be the last. 

I also 100% think Tagliabue was trying to save face there. Of course, being from Baltimore certainly affects my view of Tagliabue, but what he said in 2001 kind of seems like something he had to say, seeing as Baltimore got a team after going around him and not through him (and then having that team end up be successful - not just in terms of support but in on-field product). Even if his statement was taken out of context, it’s not something you say to a football-starved city who had gone over a decade without a team. 

I still am genuinely curious how Baltimore screwed up its ‘95 bid though. If @SFGiants58 or anyone else has information or where I can look to find it myself I’d be interested. Failed expansion teams and expansion processes in general, especially from the 90’s, kind of fascinate me, and seeing how personal this one was, I’m definitely interested. 

Upon further research, only St. Louis screwed their bid up. Baltimore just had bad luck of the committee being wooed by Jacksonville and its promise of a growing market and "die-hard football fans" that supported WFL and USFL teams (alongside college teams). Also, Baltimore was too close to the WFT and WFT was considering moving options in the Beltway area. This article explains a lot of it. This one explains the "growing demographic" part of the issues.

Given that the Glazers would've been involved in a Baltimore expansion team, it's probably for the best it didn't happen. Tagliabue's quote just seems like an after-the-fact justification for the decision. How Vince Russo of him.

Edited by SFGiants58

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Upon further research, only St. Louis screwed their bid up. Baltimore just had bad luck of the committee being wooed by Jacksonville and its promise of a growing market and "die-hard football fans" that supported WFL and USFL teams (alongside college teams). Also, Baltimore was too close to the WFT and WFT was considering moving options in the Beltway area. This article explains a lot of it. This one explains the "growing demographic" part of the issues.

Given that the Glazers would've been involved in a Baltimore expansion team, it's probably for the best it didn't happen. Tagliabue's quote just seems like an after-the-fact justification for the decision. How Vince Russo of him.

Thanks for those resources.  They were both incredibly interesting reads, especially the first one.  If anything, it shows me that what I've been told - that Tagliabue flat-out didn't want a team in Baltimore - was true; meaning that if Baltimore ever wanted an NFL team again, it was going to be by relocating someone else.  It also makes Tagliabue's museum comment really harsh and stinging considering that context, almost as if he was gloating.  It must have killed him to have to watch Baltimore's team win the Super Bowl 8 years later.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, heavybass said:

And Julio Jones is going to the Titans for a 2nd round pick.... Falcons are MAD at Shannon.

Saw that coming a mile away. (Then again, its been speculated since season's end on the Titans' FB feed.)  Yes, Julio is older now and not exactly in his prime anymore, and he's now injury prone, but still, having him on one side and AJ Brown on the other--or, on some formations, both of them on the same side--is going to be a SCARY sight for some NFL defenses. Three monsters back there between Jones and Brown and oh by the way King Henry...have fun with that, AFC South.

Posted (edited)

The real battle in the AFC isn’t going to be over home field advantage, it’s going to be over who gets sacrificed to Baltimore, Buffalo, Kansas City and/or Tennessee in the wild card round. 

AFC has less parity than the NBA right now. That’s amazing to me.

Edited by Red Comet

4 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

The real battle in the AFC isn’t going to be over home field advantage, it’s going to be over who gets sacrificed to Baltimore, Buffalo, Kansas City and/or Tennessee in the wild card round. 

AFC has less parity than the NBA right now. That’s amazing to me.

I'm still having trouble accepting that other people who aren't Bills fans see them as a good team.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm still having trouble accepting that other people who aren't Bills fans see them as a good team.

It comes in 30-year cycles, right?

Let’s see, the Bills, the Chiefs, old Browns, Oil-er-Titans and new Browns are the top teams in the AFC right now talent wise with New England, Indianapolis and the LA Chargers potentially being dark horse candidates. Yep, sounds like a repeat of history to me. 

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Let’s see, the Bills, the Chiefs, old Browns, Oil-er-Titans and new Browns are the top teams in the AFC right now talent wise with New England, Indianapolis and the LA Chargers potentially being dark horse candidates. Yep, sounds like a repeat of history to me. 

1994 NFL on NBC Intro - YouTube

24 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Is this before he sexually assaulted a prostitute?

This was back in 1994, specifically for the Browns/Steelers Playoff game. Here's the video link incase you wanted soundbites or something from it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX9GLtpYyWk

NFL really doesn't want people watching clips. 

On 6/6/2021 at 4:04 PM, tBBP said:

Saw that coming a mile away. (Then again, its been speculated since season's end on the Titans' FB feed.)  Yes, Julio is older now and not exactly in his prime anymore, and he's now injury prone, but still, having him on one side and AJ Brown on the other--or, on some formations, both of them on the same side--is going to be a SCARY sight for some NFL defenses. Three monsters back there between Jones and Brown and oh by the way King Henry...have fun with that, AFC South.

Eh - he's gotta stay on the field for any of that to happen.

13 hours ago, Red Comet said:

This was back in 1994, specifically for the Browns/Steelers Playoff game. Here's the video link incase you wanted soundbites or something from it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX9GLtpYyWk

NFL really doesn't want people watching clips. 

I was at that game! Bills/AFL homer Paul Maguire was the worst, not only did he openly root for or against certain teams his clown shtick got unbearable after 2 minutes.

3 hours ago, Luigi74 said:

I was at that game! Bills/AFL homer Paul Maguire was the worst, not only did he openly root for or against certain teams his clown shtick got unbearable after 2 minutes.

Everybody bitched about ESPN's Witten and Booger MNF broadcasting crew, but nobody will ever be as bad as the team of Mike Patrick (what if Joe Tessitore had a more annoying voice?), Paul Maguire (what if a straight ahead kicker never updated his football knowledge after 1972?) and Joe Theismann (what if an already dumb guy got progressively dumber thanks to the many shots to the head he sustained playing football?)

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/ravens/nfl-hopes-expand-international-play-germany-2022-or-2023

The NFL is looking at adding a game in Germany, possibly as soon as next season (2022). Munich or Berlin makes the most sense but I could see Frankfurt, Dortmund, Gelsenkirchen or Dusseldorf being considered as well.  I guess it depend on how many people the NFL thinks they can get to go to a game in Germany, so proximity to US bases may be a factor too. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_Germany

• TBGKon locked this topic