NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Was Peyton Manning a "generational talent"?  Aaron Rodgers?  Hell, Tom Brady is still playing and has been more dominant than anyone.  Is Brady a "multi-generational talent"?

A Generational talent is, quite literally, once-in-a-generation. I doubt we see another dominant run like Brady’s (in any sport, much less football) in our lifetimes, and maybe our kids’ lifetimes. That’s two generations that probably don’t see another player have a stranglehold on the league.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

A Generational talent is, quite literally, once-in-a-generation. I doubt we see another dominant run like Brady’s (in any sport, much less football) in our lifetimes, and maybe our kids’ lifetimes. That’s two generations that probably don’t see another player have a stranglehold on the league.

right. He won super bowls 20 years apart - so there’s tons of kids who saw him win a title who weren’t even born when their parents saw him win. That’s “multi generational”… ya?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

right. He won super bowls 20 years apart - so there’s tons of kids who saw him win a title who weren’t even born when their parents saw him win. That’s “multi generational”… ya?

Yep. Pretty much

Las Vegas Raiders lineman Carl Nassib has come out as gay, the first active player in the NFL to do so. Michael Sam was only on the preseason and practice roster when he was drafted, and several have come out after their careers ended.

https://www.outsports.com/2021/6/21/22544294/raiders-player-carl-nassib-gay-nfl-coming-out?utm_campaign=outsports&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Signature intentionally left blank

20 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Las Vegas Raiders lineman Carl Nassib has come out as gay, the first active player in the NFL to do so. Michael Sam was only on the preseason and practice roster when he was drafted, and several have come out after their careers ended.

https://www.outsports.com/2021/6/21/22544294/raiders-player-carl-nassib-gay-nfl-coming-out?utm_campaign=outsports&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

🏳️‍🌈 😃

Good for him. I hope for the best for him. And I hope he manages to deal with the Tony Dungys of the world who are about to come out of the woodwork. 

24 minutes ago, IceCap said:

🏳️‍🌈 😃

Good for him. I hope for the best for him. And I hope he manages to deal with the Tony Dungys of the world who are about to come out of the woodwork. 

I'm no biographer of Al Davis and can't speak to his views on sexuality, but I feel like the "Just Win, Baby" mantra would apply if he were around for this.

Good for Carl Nassib. Visibility matters.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Incredibly happy to hear this! As part of the LGBTQ+ community myself, it's amazing to see representation at all levels of sports. Hopefully Carl's bravery encourages others to come out as well - and not just in the NFL.

the user formerly known as cdclt

8 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Absolutely amazing to see. As a gay man myself and someone who's grown up/lived in Vegas for pretty much my whole life, I couldn't be more excited for and supportive of him. I just hope that his team, the league, and the fans will be as supportive. So proud. 🏳️‍🌈

Good for him. I’m not very tuned in to social media/news media but the general reaction seems to be “oh okay, cool”

That’s good, I think. Its a good thing that it’s not really “a thing”.  

On 6/19/2021 at 11:26 AM, Crabcake said:

It’s not dumb in and of itself, it just gets thrown around so often nowadays it’s lost its meaning. It’s just like people who call every team who win a championship a potential “dynasty.” 

I think it comes from a generation of people (myself included) who grew up in a world where there were dedicated sports channels and content companies, so we all watched documentaries and shows about old teams and those “dynasties.” And we so desperately want to have modern “dynasties” and “generational talents” that we slap that label onto anyone and everyone. 

Spot on.

It's almost impossible to watch ESPN or NFL Network nowadays, because this is all the talking heads can talk about. Brady is a generational talent and the Patriots were a dynasty. The Chiefs and Mahomes? Neither, at least right now.

Dynasties consist of multiple championships and generational talents have multiple MVP's. 

It's a joke that I turn on the TV and hear them talking about the Bengals or Cardinals having two generational talents on offense. 

Generational talent came from basketball, where it makes more sense. One guy out of 5 has far more play-to-play impact than one non-QB out of 11.

That said, it's become an overused cliche that we should all stop using.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Generational talent came from basketball, where it makes more sense. One guy out of 5 has far more play-to-play impact than one non-QB out of 11.

It’s also way, way overused in soccer. Every decent young player is labeled a generational talent, either by the media or their own fans. 

spacer.png

I've been waiting for this for a long time and I'm happy it's a guy like Carl Nassib. He's not a super star player, but he's a known name who's been around the league, he's proven he can play in the NFL, and he has a pretty secure spot on an NFL roster. This isn't Michael Sam who did his best, but perhaps wasn't mature enough to carry that torch as a gay man and wasn't a gifted enough football player to be that guy either. I hope this sets the example so that more athletes can feel comfortable being themselves without worrying about it damaging their careers or their treatment on the fields. We know there's a lot more out there than just Carl Nassib. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Good for Carl Nassib. I liked him when he was on the Browns and wish we could have kept him around. He may not be a generational talent (:P) but he was a productive player for the Brown, and his skillset would be nice to have on the current roster. He was a captain in Tampa and I think that is a strong indicator he is well-respected in the locker room. He has my full support. 

T1oYViW.png

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

To be fair, there's a difference between talent and impact even in basketball. Players like Carmelo, Marbury, Steve Francis, DeRozan, etc. have been the poster children over the years for players who are individually talented but have questionable impacts on their teams.

Likewise, it's unfair to hold the limitations of other sports against athletes who are clearly one-of-a-kind at what they do. Just because baseball is the ultimate team sport where one player can't carry an entire team doesn't make Mike Trout or Jacob DeGrom's talent any less generational, for instance.

You are right that it's an overused cliche nowadays, but that's all ESPN has had to offer for the past 10+ years: overused cliches and trolling. If they aren't talking about generational talent, they're busy ranting about who choked last night or the latest trade "rumors" from anyonymous sources.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

16 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Bravo to him. :) it could not have been easy - as he states himself, its took many years to make the decision.

Glad to see the league and the team supporting him.

Kudos to Michael Sam for blazing that trail so many years ago, and to Nassib for coming out, and for the league and its media partners for being supportive.

This is a moment we've been waiting for for years, and that the reaction is almost overwhelmingly supportive (at least on the corners of internet I frequent) is really wonderful. Even a decade ago this wouldn't have been the same. Two decades ago would have been ugly. And many, many closeted players in the NFL and other leagues were denied living their full lives.

Progress!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

How good is this guy? Good enough that if he’s cut it’s clearly because of this and not performance / cap reasons?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived