PepsiCo Rebrands Aunt Jemima as Pearl Milling Company

Brian in Boston

My two nitpicks about the new branding.

1) With the type being all white and the logo being 90% white it has a bit of a generic / store-brand feel to it.  They could have worked more yellow in there, even if it meant making "original" white instead.

2) Maybe they could have gone with "Pearl's" and said that it's short for Pearl Milling Company.  I know they wanted it to not be associated with any person (real or fictional), but "Pearl Milling Company" is a mouthful.  I don't think anyone's going to say "pass the Pearl Milling Company" like they may have said "pass the Aunt Jemima".  I've never bought it, so maybe people never actually said that and it's moot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

My two nitpicks about the new branding.

1) With the type being all white and the logo being 90% white it has a bit of a generic / store-brand feel to it.  They could have worked more yellow in there, even if it meant making "original" white instead.

2) Maybe they could have gone with "Pearl's" and said that it's short for Pearl Milling Company.  I know they wanted it to not be associated with any person (real or fictional), but "Pearl Milling Company" is a mouthful.  I don't think anyone's going to say "pass the Pearl Milling Company" like they may have said "pass the Aunt Jemima".  I've never bought it, so maybe people never actually said that and it's moot.

1. Agreed. It looks very IGA to me.

2. We were a Mrs. Butterworth's family growing up because they advertised during Saturday morning cartoons.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

23 hours ago, Cujo said:

Can you also confirm a Cracker Barrel logo change?

I saw the hub bub yesterday on twitter with idiots trying to claim there is a whip in the logo, but they kept on showing an older logo (which, it still wasn't a whip just the line from the K looping to the R), this is the current logo that they changed to a few years ago.

Image result for Cracker Barrel logo

I think people are looking too hard into every little single thing to get offended at these days.

On that note, I am fine with Aunt Jemima being rebranded, I think the name stinks, even Pearl Milling would just be better, but who is going to ask for "Pearl Milling Company Pancake Mix?" That is too much of a mouthful, don't they have a competent marketing department?

11 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

On that note, I am fine with Aunt Jemima being rebranded, I think the name stinks, even Pearl Milling would just be better, but who is going to ask for "Pearl Milling Company Pancake Mix?" That is too much of a mouthful, don't they have a competent marketing department?

I'm old, but not that old. I just grab my own off the shelf, as opposed to asking Mr. Drucker to pull it down off the shelves for me.

[let's see if that goes over like a fart in church or if anyone else gets it]

It's where I sit.

17 hours ago, Cujo said:

How's that any different?

"Uncle" and "aunt" were both used for house slaves. 

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Pearl Milling Company was located in St. Joseph, Missouri. I wonder if there was any chance of it being named “St. Joseph Pancake Mix”?

St. Joseph = baby aspirin

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My first thought was that it was supposed to be Pearl, Mississippi, which was like, man, just can't shake that former Confederacy. 

"Okay, Ahmed, excellent take, you love the product, we're gonna do another take but this time you're gonna read the copy without the pancakes actually in your mouth."
"WHAT PANCAKES"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Pearl Milling is close enough to Pearl River which means we just missed out on this guy selling pancakes:

tumblr_oqham6hmti1qzp5ffo3_1280.png

Take the PLUNGE into Pearl River!

VmWIn6B.png

10 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'm old, but not that old. I just grab my own off the shelf, as opposed to asking Mr. Drucker to pull it down off the shelves for me.

[let's see if that goes over like a fart in church or if anyone else gets it]

Well all I know is Pearl Milling's pancakes can't be as good as Mrs. Douglas's pancakes , even if they are a bit chewy.

[Even though I was born in 84, I have fond memories of Nick At Nite showing it when I was a kid, and even been watching it recently]

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2021 at 6:54 PM, BBTV said:

2) Maybe they could have gone with "Pearl's" and said that it's short for Pearl Milling Company.  I know they wanted it to not be associated with any person (real or fictional), but "Pearl Milling Company" is a mouthful.

Pass the syrup...

• 1 month later...

Archived