MLB ЯR: AL West Complete

ProfessorBigShots

AL East

Boston Red Sox: 1908
RedSox.png

For their Reverse Retro jersey, the Red Sox throw it back to 1908. Their home uniforms are unchanged, except for the white jersey and hat being replaced with Fenway Green.

New York Yankees: 1936

Yankees.png

The Yankees' Reverse Retro is the same as their 1936 uniforms, just with the colors on the jersey and pants inverted.

Baltimore Orioles: 1979

Orioles.png

The O's Reverse Retro is their 1979 home uniforms, but with the white switched out for black.

Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays: 1998

Rays.png

The Devil Rays went with purple for their uniforms, which are their home uniforms from their inagural season.

Toronto Blue Jays: 2004
BlueJays.png

The Graphite Jays are back! Toronto brings back their 2004 home uniforms, but with their modern royal and navy blue.

Next up: AL Central

Minnesota: 1987 x 2021

Cleveland: 1899 x 2021

Chicago: 1967 x 2021

Kansas City: 2002 x 2021

Detroit: 1917 x 2021

36 minutes ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

AL East

Boston Red Sox: 1908
RedSox.png

For their Reverse Retro jersey, the Red Sox throw it back to 1908. Their home uniforms are unchanged, except for the white jersey and hat being replaced with Fenway Green.

New York Yankees: 1936

Yankees.png

The Yankees' Reverse Retro is the same as their 1936 uniforms, just with the colors on the jersey and pants inverted.

Baltimore Orioles: 1979

Orioles.png

The O's Reverse Retro is their 1979 home uniforms, but with the white switched out for black.

Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays: 1998

Rays.png

The Devil Rays went with purple for their uniforms, which are their home uniforms from their inagural season.

Toronto Blue Jays: 2004
BlueJays.png

The Graphite Jays are back! Toronto brings back their 2004 home uniforms, but with their modern royal and navy blue.

Next up: AL Central

Minnesota: 1987 x 2021

Cleveland: 1889 x 2021

Chicago: 1967 x 2021

Kansas City: 2002 x 2021

Detroit: 1917 x 2021

You’re really thinking outside the box with some of these, and I like that. 

18 hours ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

teaser for my reaction to your teaser for your reaction to teasers for concept series:

👎

but fr tho keep the negativity down, you haven't even seen the uniforms yet...

Nothing else to comment on. Could've just posted the uniforms to start with.

Ensure that a concept is ready for public critique before posting.  Concepts that look like little or no effort was put into them will be removed.

• Ensure that a concept is created on an appropriate template.
  • Ensure that any fonts used for a concept are appropriate, athletic fonts and are not Windows/Mac system fonts e.g. Arial, Times New Roman, etc.

All concept threads must have the concept, or the initial concept of a series, present in the first post.  Any concept thread that does not contain a viewable concept will be deleted.

• Do not post a "teaser image" in the first post of a concept thread.

Seriously what kind of commentary were you expecting on years with color outlines?

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Nothing else to comment on. Could've just posted the uniforms to start with.

I only had 2 of them done, and just made the post so I would have motivation to finish and would remember, but anyways...

AL Central

Cleveland Indians: 1899

vyhJ3WW.png

In 1899, the Cleveland Spiders had a record of 20-134, the worst record in major league history. Cleveland decided to use their uniforms for the Reverse Retro program, in hopes of bringing glory in the Spiders uniform.

Detroit Tigers: 1917

M4qheId.png

The Tigers threw back to 1917 for their uniforms. The only changes is the navy blue on the uniforms being replaced with orange.

Chicago White Sox: 1967

cp5souF.png

The White Sox 1967 Reverse Retro uniforms join the Yankees in teams with dark colored pants, as well as accomplishing the feat of actually having white socks as a part of the uniform.

Minnesota Twins: 1987

tmmuAER.png

The Twins are going back to the year they won their first World Series in Minnesota. The uniforms are their road uniforms from the time, but in red instead of blue.

Kansas City Royals: 2002

5yhwTcG.png

The Royals are bringing back black for their Reverse Retro set. They look a lot like the White Sox, but don't get confused, as they are 2 different teams.

AL West Teasers

Oakland: 1969 x 2021

Houston: 2000 x 2021

Seattle: 1987 x 2021

Los Angeles: 1998 x 2021

Texas: 1986 x 2021

15 hours ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

I only had 2 of them done, and just made the post so I would have motivation to finish and would remember, but anyways...

AL Central

Cleveland Indians: 1899

vyhJ3WW.png

In 1899, the Cleveland Spiders had a record of 20-134, the worst record in major league history. Cleveland decided to use their uniforms for the Reverse Retro program, in hopes of bringing glory in the Spiders uniform.

Detroit Tigers: 1917

M4qheId.png

The Tigers threw back to 1917 for their uniforms. The only changes is the navy blue on the uniforms being replaced with orange.

Chicago White Sox: 1967

cp5souF.png

The White Sox 1967 Reverse Retro uniforms join the Yankees in teams with dark colored pants, as well as accomplishing the feat of actually having white socks as a part of the uniform.

Minnesota Twins: 1987

tmmuAER.png

The Twins are going back to the year they won their first World Series in Minnesota. The uniforms are their road uniforms from the time, but in red instead of blue.

Kansas City Royals: 2002

5yhwTcG.png

The Royals are bringing back black for their Reverse Retro set. They look a lot like the White Sox, but don't get confused, as they are 2 different teams.

AL West Teasers

Oakland: 1969 x 2021

Houston: 2000 x 2021

Seattle: 1987 x 2021

Los Angeles: 1998 x 2021

Texas: 1986 x 2021

All good except the Royals. Their addition of black was one of the worst moves in MLB uniform history. A better idea would be to do the aughts drop-shadow look in double blue. Or possibly one of the blues mixed with metallic gold. 

Some of these come very close to being perfect, but just need a bit of tweaking. Here are my suggestions:

Red Sox - Add a white outline to the numbers

Orioles - Add a white (or possibly double) outline to the front and back numbers

Rays - Add a white outline to the jersey script and a black outline to the numbers

Tigers - Add a navy outline to the cap logo, jersey crest and numbers

White Sox - The '67 Sox wore powder blue, so I'd replace that medium blue you used on the script trim and undersleeves with powder blue

Twins - I think you need a touch of navy in there...Maybe a navy outline on the letters and cap logo? That way it's still 90% red without looking too much like Cincinnati. 

Royals - Not sure the all black look works. I think you need to find a way to incorporate some royal or powder blue 

Looking forward to the AL West!

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

All good except the Royals. Their addition of black was one of the worst moves in MLB uniform history. A better idea would be to do the aughts drop-shadow look in double blue. Or possibly one of the blues mixed with metallic gold. 

The black Royals look being so bad is exactly why I did it! I would have went with one of the Bo Jackson era powder blue uniforms in navy and gold if I was being more realistic, but trying unpopular things is what I want this series to be all about. Anyways, I went back and redid the Royals, so now they don't look like White Sox cosplayers. I might go back and redo some teams, but the Royals were the ones who needed it most.

FUtYNC8.png

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Some of these come very close to being perfect, but just need a bit of tweaking. Here are my suggestions:

Red Sox - Add a white outline to the numbers

Orioles - Add a white (or possibly double) outline to the front and back numbers

Rays - Add a white outline to the jersey script and a black outline to the numbers

Tigers - Add a navy outline to the cap logo, jersey crest and numbers

White Sox - The '67 Sox wore powder blue, so I'd replace that medium blue you used on the script trim and undersleeves with powder blue

Twins - I think you need a touch of navy in there...Maybe a navy outline on the letters and cap logo? That way it's still 90% red without looking too much like Cincinnati. 

Royals - Not sure the all black look works. I think you need to find a way to incorporate some royal or powder blue 

Looking forward to the AL West!

Those are very good suggestions, and I'm considering going back and redoing some of them to add those. I'm excited to show the AL West too! I got 4/5 done so far, and none of them are misses imo.

14 hours ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

AL West

Oakland A's: 1969

Athletics.png

Texas Rangers: 1986

r6zNjFA.png

Seattle Mariners: 1987

Mariners.png

Los Angeles Angels: 1998

WgCDS60.png

Houston Astros: 2000

Astros.png

Love the Angels. I don’t really see how Oakland is a mix of eras though. Is anything about either the design or the color scheme modern?

18 hours ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

The black Royals look being so bad is exactly why I did it! I would have went with one of the Bo Jackson era powder blue uniforms in navy and gold if I was being more realistic, but trying unpopular things is what I want this series to be all about. Anyways, I went back and redid the Royals, so now they don't look like White Sox cosplayers. I might go back and redo some teams, but the Royals were the ones who needed it most.

FUtYNC8.png

That’s a lot better. I still cringe seeing them in black, but the sky blue and metallic gold really help. 

2 hours ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

The A's uniform is just the yellow '69 uniforms with yellow and green switched. 

And it looks wonderful, but I thought Reverse Retro required mixing an older element with a newer element. Mariners and Astros definitely do that (although I’d recommend a silver outline on Seattle’s S logo), combining older designs with modern colors. Angels (much as I like that design) and Athletics both use colors and design from the same era while changing color balance, which would make them more akin to fauxbacks. 

Is Texas just the Rangers’ current alts with the old-school T logo?

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

And it looks wonderful, but I thought Reverse Retro required mixing an older element with a newer element. Mariners and Astros definitely do that (although I’d recommend a silver outline on Seattle’s S logo), combining older designs with modern colors. Angels (much as I like that design) and Athletics both use colors and design from the same era while changing color balance, which would make them more akin to fauxbacks. 

Is Texas just the Rangers’ current alts with the old-school T logo?

I took reverse retro more as just remixing old uniforms. The Rangers uniform is their home uniforms from that season but just with the white switched for powder blue.

Archived