The future commissioner of the CFL

the rock eyebrow GIF

- Played for a short time in the CFL

- Became a Wrestler in the WWE

- Former WWE Boss launched the XFL twice

- Became Part-Owner of the XFL after former boss declared league bankruptcy

- CFL & XFL announce partnership

spacer.png

If this is indeed a merger: I honestly think this will either be a smashing success, or the thing that finally sinks both of the leagues under. Only time well tell how well this works.

I think we will probably see American field dimensions mixed with a bit of CFL rules (3 downs, forward motion, etc.) in order to accommodate the U.S. teams and their venues. I'm intrigued to see what becomes of this partnership, as long as the game isn't totally leaning one way or the other. The last time the CFL came to America, it didn't last very long. Both Americans and Canadians, from what I have seen, are very protective of their rules.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Man, this has so many potential benefits as well as potential pitfalls. I quickly became a CFL fan some seven or eight years ago now, the fast-paced 3-down game just sucked me in. I'd hate to see the differences the CFL has go away. I'd love to see a merger of the leagues in some fashion, the CFL needs the influx of teams and revenue. Given that the XFL has demonstrated in the past to experiment with the "traditional" rules of football in the United States, I'd love to see them adopt some version of the 3-down game.

The only way this makes sense to me is if the XFL becomes a sort of developmental partner for the CFL. The XFL keeps its February-May schedule and American rules with some of the fringe talent on loan from CFL squads. I don't think this becomes another CFL USA scenario. I imagine there are even fewer stadiums capable of accommodating a full-size CFL field than there were 28 years ago, and it's not like baseball where you can switch the rules based on which league the home team is in.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Right now, somewhere in the world, in front of a dusty computer screen, a CCSLC member is constructing a 40 team CXFL league including relegation for the realignment post. Spoilers: The Birmingham Thunderbolts and those helmets return to the XFL! Still no word on the Atlantic Schooners.

Perhaps it will end up similar to all of the international leagues the CFL has collaborated with in regards to CFL 2.0.  Maybe a joint free agent combine involving both leagues and some sort of loan system like in soccer.  A merger would be hard to do.  

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

The only way this makes sense to me is if the XFL becomes a sort of developmental partner for the CFL. The XFL keeps its February-May schedule and American rules with some of the fringe talent on loan from CFL squads. I don't think this becomes another CFL USA scenario. I imagine there are even fewer stadiums capable of accommodating a full-size CFL field than there were 28 years ago, and it's not like baseball where you can switch the rules based on which league the home team is in.

I don't see the XFL getting into this to be a junior partner, and certainly not as a feeder league. You have two leagues facing financial headwinds: one's an upstart carrying a legacy of failure, the other is an established league in dire need of financial rejuvenation. They're looking at each other as a means to improve their survival rate. 

Here's my knee-jerk prediction of what will come: This won't be a merger. Instead, I'm envisioning a setup like the pre-merger AFL-NFL: separate leagues operating more like divisions, each with their own playoff structure. The winners would square off in their own version of the Super Bowl. 

But operationally, they'd join forces as a means to curb administrative and operational costs. Combining in this way would allow them to retain their individual brands (particularly important for the CFL, I'd guess), while benefiting from the broader reach of a combined organization, providing a more enticing sales pitch when negotiating for TV deals in two countries. 

8 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if it ends up being an MLB-Atlantic League style partnership. Testing rules in one league in an effort to help out the other. Likely CFL gaining intel and development from the XFL.

But how would that save them money? There's absolutely no chance this pursuit is related to anything on the field. This is about finding ways for each other to operate while saving money and setting themselves up for long-term, sustainable growth. 

The CFL, I'm certain, would rather continue to happily exist in its own Canadian existence. But a league that subsists off of ticket revenue cannot survive if it's unable to sell tickets. Losing a year of business is huge. This is a survival play, not a deal to find a minor league. 

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

But how would that save them money? There's absolutely no chance this pursuit is related to anything on the field. This is about finding ways for each other to operate while saving money and setting themselves up for long-term, sustainable growth. 

The CFL, I'm certain, would rather continue to happily exist in its own Canadian existence. But a league that subsists off of ticket revenue cannot survive if its unable to sell tickets. Losing a year of business is huge. This is a survival play, not a deal to find a minor league. 

I wouldn’t really call it as CFL finding a minor league. More of a mutualistic symbiosis. There’s zero harm being done to one league by the other league (for now). Realistically speaking, it boils down to a pseudo-merging of the two leagues. Operating together, but separate while feeding off each other.

1 hour ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

The CFL is already a developmental league. There is no one in that league with world class talent. 

Agreed, there is no world class talent there...those dudes play for the NFL because it is the top dog. However it is not a developmental league, it is its own brand of football with stars of its own. Their goal isn't to develop talent for another league, that's not why it exists.

Archived