Recommended Posts

XFL?

Some sort of resource sharing?

Sure

Some sort of co-marketing?

Sure

Some sort of brainstorming & sharing of ideas?

Sure?

 Merging the leagues?

no, just no.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2021 at 12:38 PM, gosioux76 said:

 

What's the argument for that? I don't necessarily disagree, so don't take this as an argument. I'm just unclear as to why the CFL's June to November schedule is such a sacred cow to so many people. 

 

With the exception of Vancouver, every CFL stadium is open air.  Do YOU want to try to play games in December?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 8:46 AM, rams80 said:

 

With the exception of Vancouver, every CFL stadium is open air.  Do YOU want to try to play games in December?

 

That's a pretty flippant response. Nobody is suggesting the CFL play in December, which would put it in direct competition with the NFL and defeat the entire purpose of this thought exercise.

 

The question was why do people seem to think the June-November schedule is so inflexible. In other words, is there a middle ground between, say, a season that launches right after the Super Bowl and the CFL's, which starts in late spring/early summer?

 

So instead of June-September, could it run May-October? How about April to September? Or shorten it and go April to August? 

 

I can see why the CFL would want to avoid overlapping with the NHL playoffs, which run into June, so that part makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2021 at 7:11 AM, gosioux76 said:

could it run May-October?

 

Getting both the NHL playoffs and the beginning of the NHL season. Hitting the beginning of the NHL season is unavoidable, but hitting both wouldn't be good.

 

On 3/22/2021 at 7:11 AM, gosioux76 said:

How about April to September?

 

NHL playoffs

 

On 3/22/2021 at 7:11 AM, gosioux76 said:

Or shorten it and go April to August? 

 

NHL playoffs and you miss Labour Day, which is to the CFL what Thanksgiving is to the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

NHL playoffs and you miss Labour Day, which is to the CFL what Thanksgiving is to the NFL.

 

 

Canada wastes its time watching Detroit lose on Labour day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While looking for information about Joe Flacco for a different thread, I stumbled upon some slightly interesting news.

 

Flacco’s younger brother, Tom, signed a deal with the Roughriders back in January.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jer15 said:

How bad is their TV deal that they'd have to wait for more people in the stands? I know it's not even near the NFL but I'm surprised it could be worse than what the XFL has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

How bad is their TV deal that they'd have to wait for more people in the stands? I know it's not even near the NFL but I'm surprised it could be worse than what the XFL has. 

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/barnes-cfl-signs-new-six-year-tv-deal-with-tsn
This should give you some idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

How bad is their TV deal that they'd have to wait for more people in the stands? I know it's not even near the NFL but I'm surprised it could be worse than what the XFL has. 

 

It's obviously nothing like the NHL deal in Canada or like the NFL but the $50 mil a year is significantly more than the CFL has ever got for TV.

Relatively speaking, the deal is good but yes, the CFL is a gate driven league (which is why there's been such a focus on new/renovated stadiums over the past 15 years or so) and it seems that will always be the case which is why they bumped the season back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

 

It's obviously nothing like the NHL deal in Canada or like the NFL but the $50 mil a year is significantly more than the CFL has ever got for TV.

Relatively speaking, the deal is good but yes, the CFL is a gate driven league (which is why there's been such a focus on new/renovated stadiums over the past 15 years or so) and it seems that will always be the case which is why they bumped the season back.

If that's $50 mil Canadian, that equals about $38 million US. Still nice amount of change when split up between 9 teams. But like you said, that's still not doing more than covering operational expenses. Especially if some teams are sneaking money over the salary cap as has been alleged for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.