CFL 2021

MJWalker45

XFL?

Some sort of resource sharing?

Sure

Some sort of co-marketing?

Sure

Some sort of brainstorming & sharing of ideas?

Sure?

Merging the leagues?

no, just no.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/15/2021 at 12:38 PM, gosioux76 said:

What's the argument for that? I don't necessarily disagree, so don't take this as an argument. I'm just unclear as to why the CFL's June to November schedule is such a sacred cow to so many people. 

With the exception of Vancouver, every CFL stadium is open air.  Do YOU want to try to play games in December?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 3/21/2021 at 8:46 AM, rams80 said:

With the exception of Vancouver, every CFL stadium is open air.  Do YOU want to try to play games in December?

That's a pretty flippant response. Nobody is suggesting the CFL play in December, which would put it in direct competition with the NFL and defeat the entire purpose of this thought exercise.

The question was why do people seem to think the June-November schedule is so inflexible. In other words, is there a middle ground between, say, a season that launches right after the Super Bowl and the CFL's, which starts in late spring/early summer?

So instead of June-September, could it run May-October? How about April to September? Or shorten it and go April to August? 

I can see why the CFL would want to avoid overlapping with the NHL playoffs, which run into June, so that part makes sense. 

On 3/22/2021 at 7:11 AM, gosioux76 said:

could it run May-October?

Getting both the NHL playoffs and the beginning of the NHL season. Hitting the beginning of the NHL season is unavoidable, but hitting both wouldn't be good.

How about April to September?

NHL playoffs

Or shorten it and go April to August? 

NHL playoffs and you miss Labour Day, which is to the CFL what Thanksgiving is to the NFL.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

NHL playoffs and you miss Labour Day, which is to the CFL what Thanksgiving is to the NFL.

Canada wastes its time watching Detroit lose on Labour day?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jer15 said:

How bad is their TV deal that they'd have to wait for more people in the stands? I know it's not even near the NFL but I'm surprised it could be worse than what the XFL has. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

How bad is their TV deal that they'd have to wait for more people in the stands? I know it's not even near the NFL but I'm surprised it could be worse than what the XFL has. 

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/barnes-cfl-signs-new-six-year-tv-deal-with-tsn
This should give you some idea.

15 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's obviously nothing like the NHL deal in Canada or like the NFL but the $50 mil a year is significantly more than the CFL has ever got for TV.

Relatively speaking, the deal is good but yes, the CFL is a gate driven league (which is why there's been such a focus on new/renovated stadiums over the past 15 years or so) and it seems that will always be the case which is why they bumped the season back.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

20 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

It's obviously nothing like the NHL deal in Canada or like the NFL but the $50 mil a year is significantly more than the CFL has ever got for TV.

Relatively speaking, the deal is good but yes, the CFL is a gate driven league (which is why there's been such a focus on new/renovated stadiums over the past 15 years or so) and it seems that will always be the case which is why they bumped the season back.

If that's $50 mil Canadian, that equals about $38 million US. Still nice amount of change when split up between 9 teams. But like you said, that's still not doing more than covering operational expenses. Especially if some teams are sneaking money over the salary cap as has been alleged for years. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Edmonton Football club are set to make an announcement this morning, not sure if it's regarding the season or the team name. It's set for 12 PM EST. 

Looks like we've got the Edmonton Elks now in CFL. 

Edmonton-Elks-1-696x364.jpeg

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but has there been any word if the CFL will be able to play this year?

Nothing official IIRC, but most provinces are aiming to reopen EDIT: lift most public health restrictions and be able to have stadiums at full capacity by July (depending, of course, on vaccination rates going up and hospitalizations going down). If the previously reported August timeline holds, that would give enough time for training camps and preseason.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived