The MLB Ferris Wheel - TOR, MIL (2/30)

Megildur

34 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

If names are open to different interpretations, I could see White Caps(Sox) in Colorado, Rockies in Cleveland (Rock n Roll HoF) and Reds in Arizona (Desert Landscape)

According to Megildur, the Rockies and Phillies brands - given that they would be "the hardest to move" to other markets - will be replaced by similarly-styled "equivalent nicknames". Further, he's "replaced Cleveland with the Montreal Expos" in this series. That being the case, my understanding is that Cleveland doesn't exist as a Major League Baseball market in the world of  Megildur's "MLB Ferris Wheel" proposal, Montréal does, the Expos nickname will be shifted to a city other than Montréal, and the Rockies and Phillies brands are kaput.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:58 PM, NicDB said:

I certainly wasn't expecting this. I had to look it up and see if Blue Jays were native to Wisconsin (they are). 

I had to do that as well. You might want to keep that tab open for when the Orioles come up though, because I think that'll be a little surprising too! As a slight spoiler though, the Cardinals make more immediate sense where they end up.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:43 PM, DNAsports said:

As for the Brewers, the only speculations that have been made are Colorado, Seattle, and St. Louis. I almost feel like Colorado and St. Louis would be too on the nose. Seattle would be more of an intriguing and out-of-the-box take on the Brewers name.

11 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

There's also the fact that markets such as Colorado or St. Louis might more readily lend themselves to identities beyond that of Brewers. As an example, while I listed Colorado as a potential landing place for the Brewers identity up-thread, I also pointed out that Colorado lends itself to identities like Reds and Red Sox (colorada - Spanish for "red"/"colored red" - being the inspiration for the state's name).

For what it's worth, I still like Seattle Cascades as a mountain-themed name to replace the Rockies identity outside of Colorado.     

One of those three cities does indeed receive the Brewers, though I found myself also making arguments to put them in Boston, San Francisco, Cincinnati, Minneapolis/St. Paul, or Chicago too, as a lot of cities take pride in their beer, their craft brewing histories, or the number of pubs they have (not to mention their coffee!).

As for the Cascades, that was also an idea I entertained, but since I already made a Seattle Cascades concept here, I figured I wanted to challenge myself elsewhere. There are a lot of beautiful natural wonders in the country that can fit in for the Rockies, [hint] not just mountains 😉. Similarly, there are a lot of places for park Rangers to find work... anyways, I think y'all will like what I've got planned for the Rockies' replacement!

10 hours ago, DNAsports said:

If names are open to different interpretations, I could see White Caps(Sox) in Colorado, Rockies in Cleveland (Rock n Roll HoF) and Reds in Arizona (Desert Landscape)

9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

According to Megildur, the Rockies and Phillies brands - given that they would be "the hardest to move" to other markets - will be replaced by similarly-styled "equivalent nicknames". Further, he's "replaced Cleveland with the Montreal Expos" in this series. That being the case, my understanding is that Cleveland doesn't exist as a Major League Baseball market in the world of  Megildur's "MLB Ferris Wheel" proposal, Montréal does, the Expos nickname will be shifted to a city other than Montréal, and the Rockies and Phillies brands are kaput.

Unfortunately, the placement of the Red Sox and White Sox aren't terribly interesting as far as different interpretations go. I placed them into east/central cities with long histories of baseball where they could've conceivably evolved from formerly being named the Red/White Stockings. That being said, their concepts won't be as simple as changing the city name on the away uniform either. As for the Reds, there's a bit of interpretation to their placement, but not as much as if I put them in Colorado or Arizona (despite that being a great idea!). @Brian in Boston is right in that I took out Cleveland to make things a bit easier for me, but I'll add Cleveland Rockies to my list of teams to mess around with once the Ferris Wheel is complete. Lastly, while the Rockies and Phillies brands "are kaput," their fonts and jersey striping patterns and such will continue to influence the concepts in a way that is hopefully recognizable.

Thanks to all who've chimed in, I really appreciate it. I plan to have the Brewers up either late tomorrow or on Saturday!

Well the Tigers could go really anywhere, but who to Detroit?🤔

Could be Cubs I suppose (as Tigers have cubs) or something generic like Athletics, Giants or Reds. 

Also, the Astros are going to be interesting. Cape Canaveral is in Florida, but quite far from both Tampa and Miami, so I don't know. Cleveland does have a major NASA facility, but as you mentioned, they're out. Could be moving to somewhere with big open skies or something along those lines, but I'm stumped!

Also some other predictions:

Washington Yankees (because where else?)

New York Nationals (it's not the nation's capital, but it general is the first city that comes to mind when you mention 'America')

Texas Diamondbacks (the only other location that gives off a 'desert' vibe)

Tampa Bay Pirates (it's on the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean; also fits with the Buccaneers)

Minnesota Rangers (due to the vast wilderness)

Los Angeles Cubs (the Grizzly bear is the state animal of California, featured on their flag etc)

Los Angeles Mets (L.A. is a vast metropolis on par with New York)

sig.png

On 2/15/2021 at 3:05 PM, Brian in Boston said:

The nearest missions to what is now the location of Phoenix were situated between 115 to 175 miles southeast of the modern city.

Off topic, but I know a friar that lives in downtown Phoenix (Franciscans help run the basilica) just a few blocks away from Chase Field. He always goes when the Padres are in town in his brown habit and people buy him free beer because they think he's just a super fan

Archived