2021 NASCAR Thread

RyanMcD29

Daytona 500's tomorrow and we've already seen Ben Rhodes win the Truck Series race and Austin Cindric win the Xfinity race, plus Kyle Busch snagging an entertaining Busch Clash win after Chase Elliott and Ryan Blaney collide in the final corner on the road course. So let's get this thread going in what should be a very interesting season in NASCAR

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I’ve noticed this week so far that has stuck out to me the most...

It seems like the trucks and cars haven’t seem to have a whole lot of structural integrity like they normally do. It’s hard to fully explain, but all the wrecks that have happened leave badly mangled up vehicles on the track. More than usual. Just something about it seems... off.

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

What I’ve noticed this week so far that has stuck out to me the most...

It seems like the trucks and cars haven’t seem to have a whole lot of structural integrity like they normally do. It’s hard to fully explain, but all the wrecks that have happened leave badly mangled up vehicles on the track. More than usual. Just something about it seems... off.

it definitely has the can opener feel when a wreck happens. Between complete bumpers coming off, and the spitter just destroying the front end, idk how anyone is able to get back on the track if they have the slightest of wrecks

21 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

it definitely has the can opener feel when a wreck happens. Between complete bumpers coming off, and the spitter just destroying the front end, idk how anyone is able to get back on the track if they have the slightest of wrecks

It’s made me wonder if they sacrificed some exterior integrity in favor of interior integrity.

Michael McDowell is the all-time NASCAR Cup "leader" in last place finishes.

Absolutely incredible to see him get his first win in the 500. Started his career on an underfunded team, had possibly the worst-looking qualifying accident of all-time, then spent 5 years on a start & park team. He's always been a good racer on plate tracks, but to see him win the 500 is fantastic. Love to see it.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

1 hour ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Michael McDowell is the all-time NASCAR Cup "leader" in last place finishes.

Absolutely incredible to see him get his first win in the 500. Started his career on an underfunded team, had possibly the worst-looking qualifying accident of all-time, then spent 5 years on a start & park team. He's always been a good racer on plate tracks, but to see him win the 500 is fantastic. Love to see it.

Michael McDowell has always struck me as a driver who could be great, but teams with the right equipment never took a chance on him.

Same goes for Matt DiBenedetto and Corey LaJoie.

You could argue that DiB found a good home with the Wood Brothers, but there’s grass that’s always greener. Which he needs to find after this season when Austin Cindric is set to take over the 21.

That's basically how I've felt about Almirola. 

He always showed potential, but unfortunately Petty Motorsports just isn't a winning team.

Then he switches over to Stewart-Haas and proves just what a :censored:ty driver Danica Patrick was by doing great in the 10 car.

Also would have won the 500 in 2018 if it was for Austin Dillion.  

23 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

That's basically how I've felt about Almirola. 

He always showed potential, but unfortunately Petty Motorsports just isn't a winning team.

Then he switches over to Stewart-Haas and proves just what a :censored:ty driver Danica Patrick was by doing great in the 10 car.

Also would have won the 500 in 2018 if it was for Austin Dillion.  

I know it’s way too early to tell, but it sorta feels like Bubba Wallace is already doing better with 23XI than he did in his tenure with RPM. It’s a real shame that Petty hasn’t been able to put out quality product in quite some time.

I didn't really pay much attention to the race after the wreck and the start of the rain delay that I actually realized that they went back to racing. Considering the checkered flag fell a little past midnight on the East Coast, that makes sense.

The Top 3 winless droughts to start a career have all been snapped at the Daytona 500 (Michael Waltrip, Michael McDowell and Sterling Marlin).

Next week, ROVAL; Daytona Style.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

39 minutes ago, dont care said:

Ty Gibbs was phenomenal tonight. Not sure I’ve seen much better from an 18 year old in his first race in a top series. I don’t think Joey Logano was as good. Now the next couple weeks will tell if the performance was just a fluke or not.

Was amazing to see, especially on that track. Over a full schedule will be interesting, but that was some great work.

Well, AJ certainly had an eventful weekend. Cindric and he got way too aggressive just for stage points and it completely derailed his chances. Then in the Cup race, he has a pit road problem and swamped him back in the pack. But, unlike the Xfinity race, he salvaged a Top 10.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I really enjoy the roval-type road courses -  it feels like there are more variables involved. Aerodynamics still matter, but they're downplayed. Brakes and tires are critically important. Never know when someone's going to completely screw up a turn or LEEEEROY JENKINSSS a deep dive into a corner. Seeing them go 4-5 wide into the first corner is just plain fun. The unnecessary rain caution sucked for sure, but it didn't ruin it for me. I hope they keep these - variety is nice.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived