I decided to revisit the original premise of this thread and ask, "Instead of changing navy and red teams' colors altogether, what about adding a third color to set them all apart?" So let's start today with the Nationals:

NATIONALS HOME:

spacer.png

NATIONALS ROAD:

spacer.png

NATIONALS HOME ALT:

spacer.png

NATIONALS ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

For the Nats, I decided to add Kasota gold, as used by the current day Minnesota Twins (yes, this means the Twins will be getting a different trim color for their redesign). The Nats had gold as part of their inaugural look but it was too dark and metallic-looking; this shade works much better, in my opinion. 

Either the Indians or Twins will be up next! 

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to Un-Blue & Redding MLB (Nationals + Kasota gold 6/1)
14 hours ago, Coiler said:

Gold on the Nationals gives them a bit of "turn-of-the-millenium Wizards" style to them. Don't know how intentional that was, but it was what I saw.

Thanks! The Wizards similarity was unintentional, but I don't consider it a bad thing. 

Today we have the Minnesota Twins!

TWINS HOME:
spacer.png

TWINS ROAD:

spacer.png

TWINS HOME ALT:

spacer.png

TWINS ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

Let's face it: The Twins' current identity is a mess. They have two navy alternates, a recent Kasota gold trim color addition that seems wildly unpopular and a powder blue fauxback that doesn't fit with any of their other uniforms. Since I gave Kasota gold to the Nationals, I chose powder blue as the Twins' trim color. It also serves as the base for the road uniform, which I added pinstripes to as a nod to their 1987-2009 road look. 

C&C, please. The Indians are next!

• Like 2

• coco1997 changed the title to Un-Blue & Redding MLB (Twins + powder blue 6/3)
1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks! The Wizards similarity was unintentional, but I don't consider it a bad thing. 

Today we have the Minnesota Twins!

TWINS HOME:
spacer.png

TWINS ROAD:

spacer.png

TWINS HOME ALT:

spacer.png

TWINS ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

Let's face it: The Twins' current identity is a mess. They have two navy alternates, a recent Kasota gold trim color addition that seems wildly unpopular and a powder blue fauxback that doesn't fit with any of their other uniforms. Since I gave Kasota gold to the Nationals, I chose powder blue as the Twins' trim color. It also serves as the base for the road uniform, which I added pinstripes to as a nod to their 1987-2009 road look. 

C&C, please. The Indians are next

I’d take these over their current uniforms any day of the week. Powder blue is a much better trim color for the Twins IMO.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 6/3/2021 at 2:27 PM, mrcubfan415 said:

I’d take these over their current uniforms any day of the week. Powder blue is a much better trim color for the Twins IMO.

On 6/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, BayBaseballFan said:

The Nationals set reminds me of their first few years after moving from Montreal where everything seemed to be trimmed or shadowed with gold.  

Thanks! Agreed on both counts.

Today's team is the Cleveland Indians!

INDIANS HOME:

spacer.png

INDIANS ROAD:

spacer.png

INDIANS HOME ALT:

spacer.png

INDIANS ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

For the Indians, I chose a shade of dark yellow as seen on this old Chief Wahoo logo. Red dominant look at home and navy dominant on the road. 

C&C appreciated. The Braves should be up next! 

• coco1997 changed the title to Un-Blue & Redding MLB (Indians + yellow 6/4)
7 hours ago, Coiler said:

The red and yellow I'm not that impressed by. It looks kind of like a hot dog, to be frank.

I see what you did there. 

spacer.png

Up this evening are the Atlanta Braves:

BRAVES HOME:

spacer.png

BRAVES ROAD:

spacer.png

BRAVES HOME ALT:

spacer.png

BRAVES ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

For the Braves, I used the tan/cream color from the unused 2021 All-Star Game logo. I figured the feathered sleeves design would be yet another touch to set the Braves apart from the other navy & red teams.

C&C appreciated. The Red Sox are next! 

• Like 2

• coco1997 changed the title to Un-Blue & Redding MLB (Braves + tan 6/9)
On 6/9/2021 at 7:35 PM, Coiler said:

Just returning to the classic Braves uniforms already makes them look more distinct than the more generic-seeming modern ones.

Thanks! I actually decided to tweak my Braves design a bit, making the tan/sand color the base of the road uniform and replacing gray entirely:

BRAVES ROAD:

spacer.png

BRAVES ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

On 6/13/2021 at 5:27 AM, Coiler said:

A weird concept would involve making the Cardinals in the duller colors of the female bird instead of the existing bright red.

Cool idea! I'll work on that next.

Today we have the Red Sox:

RED SOX HOME:

spacer.png

RED SOX ROAD:

spacer.png

RED SOX HOME ALT:

spacer.png

RED SOX ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

To the surprise of probably no one, I gave the Red Sox a touch of Fenway green. I've done the Red Sox in red and green before, so it was fun/challenging trying to balance all three colors in one design. 

C&C appreciated! Let me know if you have any team + color requests. 

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to Un-Blue & Redding MLB (Red Sox + green & Braves tweaks 6/15)
On 6/13/2021 at 5:27 AM, Coiler said:

A weird concept would involve making the Cardinals in the duller colors of the female bird instead of the existing bright red.

This was a weird idea for a design but here you go:

CARDINALS HOME:

spacer.png

CARDINALS ROAD:
spacer.png

CARDINALS HOME/ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

Tan and black on its own is too drab so I still kept some red but tried to relegate it to a trim color. And since a gray road uni with tan/khaki scripts & logos would look horrible (I'm looking at you, Diamondbacks City Connect uniforms) I made tan the base of the road set. The black alt could be worn at home or on the road.

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to Un-Blue & Redding MLB (Cardinals in female cardinal colors 6/18)
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Coiler said:

I'm wondering what existing teams would work well with a "cotton candy" color scheme (pink and light blue) besides the already done (and well-done) Marlins going vaporwave/vice neon.

How about the Rays? Those colors sounds like they could work for the other Florida team.

Or even the Mets, who briefly toyed with using  a black and pink color scheme before settling on royal blue and orange. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Or even the Mets, who briefly toyed with using  a black and pink color scheme before settling on royal blue and orange. 

I can see them sticking with that uniform for a single-digit number of seasons, and it would be remembered for making the 1962 Mets even more of a laughingstock.

(Ironically, you could use that as a hypothetical to "blandify" the Mets. They stick with the embarassing Payson pink-black for a few years and, instead of their real somewhat distinct and well-thought-out orange/blue NYC colors/homage to the two past NL teams they just clunk into some hurriedly boring color scheme).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After a few months of inactivity, I'm back!

My latest inspiration came from old logos. Looking through the history of teams' primary and alternate logos on the mothership, I found that there were several teams throughout MLB history whose former logos made prominent use of colors that never appeared anywhere on their actual uniforms. So the next phase of this series is MLB teams in old primary and alternate logo colors. We start today with the 2003-11 Florida Marlins:

MARLINS 2003-11 HOME:

spacer.png

MARLINS 2003-11 ROAD:

spacer.png

MARLINS 2003-11 ALT:
spacer.png

The Marlins' 2003-11 alternate logo features a sunburst of orange that never appeared on any of their actual uniforms from that era. The home set is a hybrid of their original sleeveless jerseys using the "F" crest from their 2003-07 home alternates, and the road jersey uses the superior arched "FLORIDA" script from their inaugural road design. I also whipped up a teal alt based on their BP jerseys from the time to replace their drab black alternates. 

C&C appreciated. Another team will be up soon!

• Like 1

• coco1997 changed the title to Recoloring MLB (Formerly Un-Blue & Redding MLB) - Marlins 8/16
1 minute ago, Coiler said:

Teal and orange gives it a Dolphins/Hurricanes flavor, so it fits very well.

Thanks!

Next up are the Disney era Anaheim Angels:

ANGELS 1997-2001 HOME:

spacer.png

ANGELS 1997-2001 ROAD:

spacer.png

ANGELS 1997-2001 ALT:

spacer.png

This Angels' 1997-2001 alternate logo is oddly devoid of any red which is the Angels' signature color. To that end, this design replaces red with the metallic gold from that alternate logo. This is definitely one of the most "late '90s" designs I've ever done. I also decided to go all in on periwinkle as the base color of the road set. 

C&C appreciated!

• Like 1