Chicago White Sox Uniform Prototypes, Circa 1982

The one with the number in a star is almost ahead of its time with the 90s colors.

I'm old enough to remember when Sports Illustrated ran an article about the design/selection process.  The sketch of the star jersey in the article used a "ChicaGo" wordmark.

SI Vault -- 6/8/81

spacer.pngspacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'd say all of those are pretty indebted to the 70's Astros, including the one they ended up with. Not direct rip offs, but they definitely wouldn't have been attempted if Houston hadn't come first.

How very "Come as You Are" about them.

Also, it looks like I have an idea for a new series!

IDC what anyone says,  the striped sleeve is by far the best option they could have chosen, would have looked amazing with striped socks.

The small hoop with the Sox wordmark above it, the one with the full White Sox wordmark, the one with the racing stripe down the arm, and the one with the asymmetrical stripe from neck to sleeve with no batter logo are also better than what they ended up with IMO

07Giants.pngnyy.png

On 2/15/2021 at 4:32 PM, ManillaToad said:

I like a lot of what's going on with these. The two that definitely don't look good are the striped sleeves and the one with a stripe from neck to arm, but you could make those elements work on the right uniform imo

Striped sleeves could work...but the Sox are the wrong team for it.  The Tigers, OTOH...

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 11:56 AM, Brian in Boston said:

When you study the uniform designs that weren't adopted by the Chicago White Sox in time for the 1982 MLB season, you truly realize how fortunate the team was to spend the 1982 through 1986 campaigns in the togs that did take to the diamond.

3gUArqgh.jpg?1

Lvaqzvnl.jpg

The second from the right on top and the second from the left on the bottom was the design that actually won. The team revised (i.e. watered down) the original design a couple times before the uniform became official. If I were the designer I would have been angry about that but he didn't mind...

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?sportCat=mlb&page=lukas/110324_white_sox_design

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, leopard88 said:

The one with the number in a star is almost ahead of its time with the 90s colors.

I'm old enough to remember when Sports Illustrated ran an article about the design/selection process.  The sketch of the star jersey in the article used a "ChicaGo" wordmark.

SI Vault -- 6/8/81

spacer.pngspacer.png

Light blue and red were the colors of the prototype that was actually made. I’m thinking that scheme came from the Chicago flag. Ditto the star. But yeah, Houston having a star on their uniforms was probably an influence on the Sox’s (Sox’?) decision to go in another direction. 

"Chicago" always looks good in that ligatured Avant Garde that you see on one of the color concepts. Using the O as a roundel is a little too much, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived