National Lacrosse League Expansion/Relocation 2021

Dilbert

• officeglenn changed the title to National Lacrosse League Expansion/Relocation 2021
44 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

LAX VEGAS BABY

And the NLL has another owner with multiple franchises.

Let's just hope that Tsai doesn't pull an Adam Gilchrist and name his teams after his signature cocktails.

1 minute ago, neo_prankster said:

Doesn't Joe Tsai own the San Diego Seals?

Yes.  That could create a conflict of interest as they are probably going to be in the same division.  

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Yes.  That could create a conflict of interest as they are probably going to be in the same division.  

The Pegulas own Buffalo and Rochester. I believe they are in the same division. So this is definitely not unprecedented. 

I realize it's not a unique thought and it's been talked about in other threads but another pro team in Vegas? 

It's starting to feel like the 1999  to the late 2000s period with lots of expansion and relocation.

For the most part I've been optimistic of the moves made under Nick Sakiewicz but it's just starting to get that feel again. 

14 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

14 hours ago, GDAWG said:

If MLS didn’t care about Lamar Hunt and Phil Anschutz owning about half the league or more at one point, then a league that has even less of a national footprint should be fine IMO. 

The ECHL has owners who own multiple teams. The owner of the Newfoundland Growlers will also own the two new expansion teams, the Iowa Heartlanders and the still unnamed club in Trois Rivieres. As I recall owners who have multiple teams cannot trade players or do any business between the teams that they own. I would think the NLL would do something similar.

Hopefully Las Vegas will have a better name than Panther City LC, which is an awful name for a pro team and a lost opportunity by ownership to have a Fort Worth based team actually named Fort Worth.  I don't think that team is going to do well, because people who will watch them play "where's Panther City?" and then when they hear it's Forth Worth, Texas, then they will respond "well why aren't they called Forth Worth?"  The naming will backfire on the ownership group.

the name fits in better with Paul Rabil's PLL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 10:25 PM, neo_prankster said:

Yeah and he was supposedly trying to bring a new arena to San Diego for them. Little odd he'd go and throw down more cash for another team instead of finishing the process of securing his San Diego team.